Going to be a father.

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Dead Fingers, Apr 6, 2007.

1. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Then again, having an epidural makes it more likely that the pushing will be difficult, which makes a Caesarian more likely, which might impede breast feeding, and you'll have to stay longer in hospital. Also, many women who have epidurals feel that they lose a bit of control (which can be a good or a bad thing, depends on your personality).

Also, some drugs (e.g. pethidine) affect the baby. Not good.

My wife had gas & air (i.e. N2O) and nothing else, and was very happy with that (although she overdid it and was almost tipsy at one stage (*)). She used to run Marathons though so is used to some pain/effort towards a goal.

On the other hand, I heard that they do episiotomies all the time in the US. If that is true, you might need some more pain relief. Also, it's crap. Avoid if at all possible.

(*) Try some yourself, if you get the chance. Quite funny. Don't want to overdo it though, wife might not like you being stoned when the baby arrives.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is perhaps a case of remembering that there is no single set of experiences upon which to base your decision. Episiotomies are upleasant, but the alternative for my wife was a Stage Four tear (as bad as it gets) all the way from the vaginal canal, ah, back. It has been almost seven years, and she has never been the same. At least with an episiotomy the tearing is controlled.

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

[archie bunker]Aww Jeez[/archie bunker].

4. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Guys, thanks for all your input. It is really appreciated!

Unfortunately, my wife had a miscarriage and will we need to deal with this for the time being. This was my wife's first pregnancy and from what I have heard, that this in not too uncommon. Emotionally, I am kind of all over the place. Mostly scattered at the moment and pretty broken up watching my wife go though this. However, in a weird way, it makes me reflect on how much I love her. Anyway, I will probably get back in here after some time as I know we both would like a child and I would imagine in the next couple months we will try again.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Several of our nieces have had numerous miscarriages. It sure makes the process more difficult. They have all come back with successful pregnancies and great kids.

Good luck! Hopefully she's ready to start working on a new one soon. ;)

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sorry, DF.

7. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I am very sorry to hear that DF.

Yes it's very common. At least a fifth of pregnancies don't make it past week 10 (not speaking of all the miscarriages that are not even discovered as they are diagnosed as strong periods). In Europe most people don't tell others until week ten or 12, as it's so common that it won't work out. My wife had a miscarriage two years ago, also in week 8-9. Very difficult, but it also brought us much much closer together. And now we are a very happy (but tired) family. It's very important to realise that this is nobody's fault, but that it's simply a very fragile process.

All the best for you. I wish we could chat over a bottle of good whisky now. Then again, that might not be fair to your wife. Actually, when my wife miscarried I made a rare steak with bearnaise sauce for her and we got drunk on really nice red wine. Not being pregnant definitely has some advantages as well!

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hang in there dead fingers. though it is somewhat common that doesn't mean it hurts less. what did the doctor say?

best of luck!

9. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    wow.. im sorry man... but I know im gonna get flamed for this but as a father of 2 I can honestly say that kids are not really expensive like the mass media projects... of course I do have an advantage with the babysitting since my relatives take care of the youg doods... but I post this cuz I see that you are gonna try again... and as you are pumping away.. you wont worry bout how expensive a child is.. cuz in reality its not... now my kids are 7 and 3 and they seem a happy bunch.. what really matter is building a strong bond with the wife/girlfriend right after birth... cuz man... thats one weak moment for the new mothers... it goes along the lines of post partum depression I think..

10. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Congrats DF! My first and only time in this forum...but it's more than worthwhile! Drinks are on DF until November...a lot of free drinks going around. :D

11. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol.. finish the thread man...

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw man.

Been through that myself and it was really emotional. Hard to even describe to people who haven't been through it. Also had a sister-in-law who recently miscarried, a cousin who had two or three miscarriages before her current (so-far successful) pregnancy, and a friend who had a couple miscarriages between kids. My OB said that about a third of pregnancies end in miscarriage, but most people never realize they were pregnant to begin with. There are some pretty wacky miscarriage stories among my family and friends, but it's painful every time.

Good luck ... Hope to hear from you again soon!

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Condolensces here as well. We went through it as well, between kids - about which we are reminded whenever anyone asks about the "timing" of the birth of our two daughters. The timing is only such because of the miscarriage about halfway through.

14. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I guess I was too excited to finish reading the thread!! Condolences. Not sure what I can say, but I'm sure you'll get through this.

Sorry about the wrong "tone" of my previous message.

15. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    Daycare does cost 15-20K a year for full time. To me that is expensive. Not a reason not to have kids, but it is expensive.

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get a break during elementary school and middle school. Then they start wanting a car, car insurance, and college - talk about expensive!

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm so very sorry to hear that, and you are right it's not too uncommon. I had a miscarriage almost 10 years ago. However in my case, I didn't know I was pregnant and never had to go through the ups and then downs. I didn't have to get all emotionally prepared to be a mother and whatnot. But it is still an experience that sticks with me to this day. The fear of it happening again is always there in the back of my mind, especially now that I'm trying to get pregnant again.

You and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you all the best when you try again. Just be there for each other and realize you're both going to always have this in the back of your mind. You'll get through it!

18. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I live in the city, an excuse for why a car is not needed :D

And my condonlences to DF, goodluck to you and your wife.

19. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DF I´m so so so sorry to hear this..

but please think positive and spend a lot of time with you wife now...
    she need you..

don´t worry....I think in few months you will report us that you are going to be father :)....I´m optimistic..

your bltleo

I miss you here DF!

20. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Yes, help your wife having a baby is no joke.

21. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    My daughter was to have that, but when she got to the hospital she was dialating big time so they could not do it any more. So she had natural took the classes.

It was a shock to me so I went out an bought her a diamond pendent with the baby birth stone in it Aqua Marine the baby was born March 31 a girl Mia Ann

22. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Thats too bad you guys will ve alright and move on.

23. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I just want to say "Thanks" to all the well-wishers. It is very much appreciated. My wife is getting better physically and emotionally. She still has some weepy moments, but I would imagine that is expected. For myself, I am not sure it has hit me yet. Maybe it is due to my focus on my wife's needs???? Maybe it is good that I am busy with work?

Again, thanks.

24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed the news. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I had colleague a few years back and he and his wife went through much the same thing. He described himself as having a kind of diffuse sadness that lasted for a surprisingly long time, but that he didn't notice until later precisely because he was focused on his wife's (understandably) greater needs. He found a group of people who'd experienced miscarriages and said it helped them both, mainly because it provided them both with a place where their grief was readily understood (although I gather that the wider family environment for both of them was part of the problem in that both mothers were nearby but also kind of old school and dismissive of what they were feeling).