God sent us Eddie Johnson

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Allamerican74, Oct 14, 2004.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The opposite did in Jacques Derrida this week.

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan's four spot against Cuba.

3. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Who was the last one to score five? Where and when vs who?

Voros, I know you have this - don't answer!!!!

4. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    If God sent us EJ, I would like to know what God had against Panama last night (or us in WC 98).

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=115923&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

Anyone who says that what Johnson did last night is not significant is an idiot.

6. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY

I agree also. I've seen a few comments on how he's scored all his goals without playing a full game. However, oddly, if he had played the full game, I don't think he would have scored nearly as many. Against Panama we got our last 3 goals (2 by EJ) in like the last 5 min of play. Their team was just done at that time.

That's not to say that it wasn't an impressive performance by him. Heck it was great. Just saying we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and call him our savior. We need to see if he can do it against a team that's fresh and believes it can beat us. Hopefully he'll be able to perform against them.

chris...

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    great job by Eddie, not taking anything away from him, you can only play the team that is front of you. He got in great position in front of the goal agaist a team that neither marked him nor defended the cross. He know exactly where to be in that situation.

Ok, here is knock. He was breaking toward the goal with the ball, with only the goalie in front of him and some pressure from the side. He shoots it right at the goalie. This happened about two other times in the match with different US players. We need to start finishing these. What good is speed if we choke at the moment of truth. However we are quite good on the volleys and headers in front of the goal. I guess we should use the speed to get down the wings and make the cross for the one touch shot.

8. galaxy1320

galaxy1320 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    LA
    we need to learn to chip the keeper in the 1v1 situation also. johnson had a perfect opportunity for that on that play. as did mathis 2 games back.

9. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    What ever any body says, I remember last month USA play against the same team and they only score one gol, to equal them in the last minute