Goalkeeper second touch question

Discussion in 'Referee' started by wisoccerfan, Jun 5, 2006.

1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    U10 and below, the goalkeeper is the kid that gets to wear the funky shirt and use their hands. They really have no special instruction and don't realize what they can't do. I'd just say "No!" Wave it off and move on. If anyone says anything, above is what I'd tell them.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  2. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Beau Dure

Relax on this. The earth continues to turn and gravity still works.

At those ages, you are still, along with the coaches, teaching the game. Reasonable "do-overs" are allowed and appreciated. Yes, at competitive levels, this would be a thing. But for U9 Rec use this as a teaching moment.

And kudos to you - you've been on this board for a while, you've taken the ref training and you're using it.

kayakhorn, Beau Dure and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This.

And this.

Yes, and this too.

Cliveworshipper, roby, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  4. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    For what it's worth, when I think back to my first few years and my earliest games at low levels, what I regret are not the decisions I made (even if they weren't always level-appropriate) but the way I communicated them. In particular, I remember getting in the face of players who fouled "hard" to tell them not to do anything like that again in a super-pissed-off voice - which is maybe fine for 18-year-old premier boys, but wasn't appropriate for 12-year-old rec boys (even if they were big). I upset kids for no good reason. I'm not proud of that and as my confidence increased, my use of that tool went away.

In the end, whether you teach the concept by enforcing the law or describing the law, you don't really know which way those kids will learn it best. It's also really ok (if not ideal) to enforce a law at an inappropriate level: it's still a law. Just be kind about it.

That instinct never goes away, and as long as you wish it and don't say it, you'll be fine. This week in an intense, then-tied top-level Boys U19 match, I had a coach (head of his program) super frustrated with me that when I was dropping a ball after an injury stoppage, I didn't tell the player from the team standing there that he should be sporting and kick it to the other team. Coach said that it had happened to his team a few weeks ago, too. Hmmmm. I stood in that spot for a loooooong time: plenty of time for his player to come over and contest.

chwmy and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  5. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I always take the the tack that anything less than 11 v 11 (u13), the kids are playing a game that gets them ready to play soccer.

So it should be a didactic situation, and we Should take opportunities to teach, correct, clear up confusion.

But what’s the best way to do that? When my daughter was in 4th grade, she got a zero on a homework for being late. We spoke to the teacher. She said “don’t worry. She’s 10. Let her learn this now and she’ll never be late again.” And she was right.

So often insistence on a rule is a better teacher than lenience.

In this case the rule is more arcane and the remedy more painful, so it would be common to ignore. Who knows- perhaps making that call stimulated the all the players and coaches and parents to go learn some rules. Perhaps you spared the gk from committing a double touch in a future situation that would matter much more than now. Perhaps that child will need therapy because she was so embarrassed. Who knows.

But it’s never wrong to be “that” ref who’s a stickler for the rules.

Bubba Atlanta and threeputzzz repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Rep'd for all but this last line. Never say never.

chwmy and IASocFan repped this.