Goal vs Goal

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Feb 2, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just a friendly thread, whereby we post two goals with some (at least vague) similarity and comparability in terms of quality and other posters can pick the one they think is best, or alternatively just the one they like the most from an enjoyment perspective:

I'll kick it off with Gianfranco Zola vs Wimbledon (FA Cup 1997) & Neymar vs Villarreal (La Liga 2015/16)

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Now I think about it this goal by Paul Gascoigne might have been a good one to compare to Neymar's (vs Scotland Euro 96)

But I'll put it against Matt Le Tissier vs Newcastle (Premier League 93/94)

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Rui Costa vs Ireland (Euro 96 Qualifying) & Alessandro Del Piero vs Borussia Dortmund (CL 95/96)

Excape Goat repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And finally from me for now (this should be enough to be getting on with) another each from Del Piero (vs Lazio - Serie A 94/95) and Le Tissier (vs Blackburn - Premier League 94/95):

Yeah, so just feel free to pick the best IYO or just your favourite of the two in each case.
    And to post your own options (you can venture more outside the 1990's of course!, and some team goals would be very welcome rather than only individual ones - although there were a few nice passes involved for some of those anyway).

5. Raute

Raute Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Lothar Matthaeus - vs Yugoslavia (1990WC)

Igor Belanov - vs Belgium (1986WC)

PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #6 PDG1978, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    That's a close one!
    I placed Belanov's goal two spots higher when I made a World Cup goals video (but on another day the order and inclusions would surely vary a bit):

So I'll go with that, even though the Matthaus goal, from an individual perspective, involved a long run from midfield; Belanov takes it on the spectacular final shot if anything!

Raute repped this.
  7. Raute

Raute Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I like Belanov's cause it hit the bar! ;)

Manfred Burgsmueller

Klaus Fischer

Both shots did against Switzerland(1977 friendly). Actually Manfred's was disallowed by referee. Fischer's goal was awarded goal of the year, goal of the decade, goal of the century.

Gregoriak and PDG1978 repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll go with Fischer's there I think, for distance/quality and not cos it wasn't disallowed.

(Many people are free to make calls on each goal btw).

9. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
  10. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Gotta be Neymar's goal for me. I think the initial skill Neymar did with the incoming ball was a bit tougher. But, more importantly, he volleyed the ball on its way down, while Zola didn't do something equivalent. In essence, there were two super impressive things about Neymar's goal and one super impressive thing about Zola's. Zola's goal happened in a more important match, I suppose. But it should be pointed out that Villarreal is really good this season and has an elite defense, so this was still an important match and was against a tough opponent.

Also, I'll note that I'm fairly upset because I was in Barcelona during that Villarreal match, but had chosen to go to the match before that instead. I could've been in the Camp Nou for that goal!

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Le Tissier seems better to me because it's basically the same thing but with an added great first touch and dink over one opponent beforehand. Gascoigne's was in a bigger moment, though. Overall, I still go Le Tissier, but it's close!

12. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Costa for me. The topspin on that was marvelous. I'd take Suarez's similar goal against Norwich over Costa's though.

13. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's tough. I go Le Tissier just because that was from SO far away, but it's a close one!

14. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Haha, I was about to say, TWO bicycle kick goals in ONE match!?! Gotta be Fischer here, though

15. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Recoba, because he dinked the GK too, but Bergkamp's first touch was sooooo good

16. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  17. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Suarez goal for me

18. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @PDG1978
    1. Zola
    2. Le Tissier
    3. Rui Costa
    4. Le Tissier

PDG1978 repped this.
  19. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    totti hands down

20. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Burgsmüller later said in an interview "you know what's funny? I scored a spectacular goal just like Fischer did in the very same game but it was disallowed! History would have changed if the goal had counted!" (not a quote but from memory). Seeing the two goals we can see that Fischer's was clearly in a different league compared to Burgsmüller's (who even stopped the ball with his chest before kicking it). Both crosses by Fischer's Schalke teammate Rüdiger Abramczik.

Raute and PDG1978 repped this.
  21. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    At the start of the Burgsmüller clip one can see left back Bernard Dietz (#3) on the right side of the pitch. This illustrates the man-marking still used by Germany in the 1970s where each defender followed his assigned opponent regardless of keeping any kind of defensive order. It shows the tactical backwardedness of the highest-ranking German manager of the time, Helmut Schön. One his statements regarding zonal defense was this: "in zonal defense the players get into a state of disorder more swiftly (than in other systems)".

Raute repped this.
  22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nandor Hidegkuti vs England (1953)

& John Robertson vs Manchester City (FA Cup 1978)

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Carlos Santillana scored a similar one against Derby in 1975. It is at 2:00 mark.

PDG1978 repped this.
  24. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Zidane and Bergkamp. 1998.

Zidane's goal with a better quality of image but with some comments

carlito86, Edhardy and PDG1978 repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'd have to go with Bergkamp's, but if the Zidane one had been scored at the end of a knockout World Cup game also then that'd probably make me think twice.