Globe Life Park

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Gunner, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Apologies if this is a repeat topic but was curious if FC Dallas had ever considered playing at Globe Life?

With this being the Rangers last series before moving to their new dig next door I've been seeing that Arlington is planning on converting GLP to a football only facility with he XFL team is scheduled to be playing there in 2020.

I was simply wondering if FCD considered playing there. Centrally located. All metroplex sports fans are familiar with getting there. potential better

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If there was a worse location than Frisco, it might be Arlington. You could make an argument that it would get more Tarrant County people to the game and you might be right; but how many is that? Attendance would not improve and the stadium is HUGE (in spectacle, if not seats). Hard pass.

boneall repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they move to Downtown Dallas any other satellite area is close to some and far from some. Even Downtown is really close to a lot and especially those in Tarrant County but with the only place easily accessible by train and bus it would be easier to reach for those farther away and especially on week nights.

4. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    you put this product, as currently constructed and marketed, ANYWHERE in the area - you're going to get 12-15K.

What's worse than a 3/4 full 20K stadium?

14K in a 45K or 95K stadium.

5. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, that place is just way too big. Even if it were downtown I think it would still be too large. You think our attendance looks bad on TV now, move to a 50k facility and see what happens. Right now the layout is not conducive to soccer, the seats are going to be to far away from the field. Now that might change if they throw some money in to re-design a little bit for XFL, who knows.

Playing a friendly or two there might be an option, those games don't make any money anyway and you might win some brownie points getting closer to Tarrant county once or twice a season.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone ever wonder how they'd do if Jerry Jones owned them and they played at the DeathStar? I imagine they'd be more like Atlanta but the Academy would be more like LAG's in that it would be hard to impossible for the HG's to ever get minutes with the full team. Attendance would be 35-50K but prices would be double to triple what they are now. Not sue if it would be possible to have a big central tailgate and who knows how much parking would be.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bet Jerry would use the Robert Kraft model if he added FCD to his portfolio. They'd be even more of an afterthought around here than they are now. Attendance would be about the same as now as they played in a cavernous stadium on artificial turf with Cowboys logos all over it.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would depend on when he did it. If he bought the team now or in the last few years he would want to one up Arthur Blank. If he bought it years ago you may be right as that was how all NFL owners used to treat it.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Woof.

This.

10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well they're re-doing the stadium, reducing seats to accommodate new field dimensions and NTSC is going to play there for the next 3 years. I'm quite happy and hope tickets are cheap to encourage families to come out. Expanding their footprint in Tarrant County can't be a bad thing.

11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    #11 Hitman, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    not that anyone cares what I think, but here's my reaction:

I. am. so. confused.

I have to assume there is another part to this story, like: It's a cock-block of someone else who has hinted they're interested in putting a USL team in DFW.

I do know HSG wanted initially to have NTXSC play away from Frisco, but couldn't work anything out in time. So, I guess this is an opportunity, but the highest attended game, IN ALL OF USL1, this season was <6k.

GLP apparently is also converting to turf - yes, removing the grass.

But my very favorite part? The headline of "North Texas Soccer Club relocates to Arlington's GLP" cause not small amount of confusion due the utter generic nature of the name, easily being misread as a identifier for FC Dallas. So yes, all across social media today, people were reading that headline and reacting to the idea FCD was moving to Arlington. lol.

beyond all of that this simply creates more questions than answers and in typical HSG style they drop this giant bomb of news and make ZERO effort to provide any context or background or even, hype. It's just, "hey, y'all... we're playing over here next season, see ya there" - and that's it.

maddening.

burning247 repped this.
  12. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't this make NTSC a little more expensive to conduct business for? I assume a rental fee is associated to playing at GLP. Knowing HSG is "spend averse" just adds another tickle into this head scratch'er.

It's hard to think another USL team in the metroplex poses a huge risk to FCD's talent pool/ladder. I would think the best players would still prefer NTSC simply due to the easier path to MLS with FCD.

13. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm willing to bet the deal happened because GLP made the Hunts an offer they couldn't refuse. The Rangers are on the hook to make GLP a facility with activity in it - and I'm guessing the revenue from parking and concessions will drive the difference over whatever little (if anything NTXSC) is paying to play there.

BTW, that is a component of this no one has discussed. It seems almost improbable that parking will be free at GLP, and don't be surprised if $20+ parking is something expected for a USL1 game.

14. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Do you have to pay to park at Texas Live? For non-major events, and let's face it NTSC is non-major, would you be able to park, maybe buy a beer before heading over to the game?

15. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the plans around GLP have been odd to bizarre. My favorite is the one where they just cram apartments and offices into the existing concourse and cart in potted trees to make the field into a reconfigurable park.

Desperation for events has to play into this. Maybe they called HSG and inquired about FCD, only to be told what a great deal Dan had for them?