Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    B, D Silva are both 5'7"/5'8".
    Gundo is listed at 5'11", but that's nonsense. He's probably closer to 5'9".

Angel Gomes is 5'3". That's a different kind of bridge to gap.

Our Jadon Sancho is Mason Greenwood.

I like Gomes as a player, but I never have really expected him to make it here because of his size. He's just so smoll.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Someone on YouTube put up a video of Dean Henderson at Sheffield.

He should stay there next year, and if he continues to perform at PL level, look at bringing him in to replace Dave when he inevitably leaves. He looks stellar.

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Keep the youngsters and play them if Martial/Lingard are half arse then dump them out immediately. We know we wont compete for title let this be last season for overpaid sulking cunts.

5. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    The same kids we rave about but only manage an average of 3 minutes per season?
    Our youth output is laughable. I'm sure I mentioned it before how we always talk about the youngsters but barely give them a look in.

6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Gomes should be ahead of Lingard imo. He is plain better overall.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Were gonna let Gomes go to PSG or Barca and become a world beater. Well be stuck with the youth players, many fans are currently overrating. Talent and Skill sitting on our door step and the excuse is TOO ********ing SMALL?

You would think this is US soccer running the show.

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Better to loan him back to Sheffield United next season and him to get a full year Prem experience rather than play backup or 3rd to DDG. If he proves quality next year then flog DDG and make him #1.

incighte repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, we did (allegedly) pass up on De Ligt because his dad is fat.

10. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Gomes is 4/4 on the list of players that were around the first team this year (Greenwood, Garner, Chong, Gomes - that is 1st to 4th order).

He was never going to make it here directly. My thought with him is that he would need to go on longer loans to Spain, maybe France, until he was 24 or 25. There's just no chance that his size could succeed in England until he has real man strength.

He's listed at 5'3". He weighs, maybe, 115/120lbs? That's the size of a 13 year old boy.

Not to mention that, and this is no fault of his own, his best position is one that we don't really play (No. 10).

11. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    MxZvGx - - -

That's the youtube channel that has tons of season long compilations for United youth players. Lee O'Connor and Ethan Laird were uploaded just today.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It would have been nice if that article wasn't just listing off player stats and ages before saying 'this player will have a lot to offer next season. 6 stars'.

On Angel Gomes - height is one thing but if he doesn't have mobility and work rate to go with the talent then he probably won't make it here. I've not seen enough to judge him on those fronts but he's definitely not better than Lingard defensively.

I don't see why we'd let him go now rather than in a couple of years though, he's 18 not 22. Lose AP first if anything.

incighte repped this.
  14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He will not go anywhere. He'll be involved in the first team next season but the point still stands and I agree with Naboo, the times I have watched Angel he lacks physical toughness and work rate.

15. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily physical toughness and work rate can be taught, and he’s still only 18 so his body is not done developing yet.

jeff070 repped this.
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Disagree regarding workrate. You rarely see lazy players turn into hard workers (not saying Angel is lazy). Workrate is a thing you learn growing up. If you're 18 and you dont have it, its a hard thing to just learn in a year or two.

jeff070 repped this.
  17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    It's both ways depending on the individual. One day you will realize that your talent is not enough, however that day may or may not come. It depends on the person.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Im not saying people cant change their workrate, I'm just saying you rarely see it at this stage of their development.

19. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Agreed. I am trying to think of examples though.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haha, exactly. When you have to think that long, it kind of proves the point.

jeff070 repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean Henderson has made England's U21 Euros squad. He's the only United player to have made it. Not a bad looking team though: lots of talent.
    Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn (Southampton), Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United)
    Defenders: Jake Clarke-Salter (Chelsea), Jay Dasilva (Chelsea), Lloyd Kelly (AFC Bournemouth), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, loan from Chelsea), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)
    Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Hamza Choudhury (Leicester City), Kieran Dowell (Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolverhampton Wanderers), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Derby County, loan from Chelsea), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
    Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa, loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Reiss Nelson (Arsenal), Dominic Solanke (AFC Bournemouth)

jnielsen repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Ashur