Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They got knocked out of the youth league by 3-1 Midtjylland and were generelly poor. Lots of possession but not many ideas. Chong was the only one to really create anything and had a decent game.

2. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Busby Babes,
    Fergie's Fledgling,
    Sons of Solksjaer?

Greenwood, Garner, Laird, Tuanzebe could all be players that make a sizable impact the next few seasons. Chong, Gomes, and Levitt with outside chances.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good news for Tuanzebe: he's finally back in training with Villa again after being sidelined for quite a while. Question is now is how much of a role will he play and can he recover his spot at the heart of the defense? Villa brought in 2 CBs on loan and they've been the starting pairing in recent weeks.

Congrats to Jimmy Garner who signed a new deal with the club as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean Henderson doing quite well at Sheffield United. Could be in the Prem if they keep up their form, just shut out Leeds 1-0 and are second.

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    TFM starts for Fulham vs 'pool - having not started in the league since October and not having even been in squad last five games.

Hopefully he gets a run under new man Scott Parker.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And he's looked pretty rough. No major mistakes but he's routinely caught ball watching and goes to the ground to tackle anytime a player is near him.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thought TFM performance was mixed. In his defence he isn't exactly surrounded by quality defenders there or much cover from Ayite ahead and he hasn't played much - so was a tough ask to come in having not played much and defend against the likes of Mane his side.

Did think he was at fault for the first goal - hate it when full-backs stand off a long way an attacker and allow them to run from a long way out deep into the penalty area. Had to take some responsibility and get closer or make a tackle attempt before Mane got into the box. Allowed Mane to just run right into the area, didn't cut out the pass and didn't track/follow Mane after who scored. Poor.

There were some glimpses though and hopefully he did enough to get some more games while there and can improve.

jeff070, MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Him not playing for Fulham is significantly related to the fact that their season was a wash some time ago and they focused on playing players who belong to them and of those, trying to develop some kids.

He's raw, but things like positioning and composure don't improve in training. He'd be better off playing for the U23s at this point.

That said, when you consider the performances we've put up with this season with Young and Valencia especially. There's no reason not to give him every chance at United, providing his attitude is right. Valencia straight up stopped trying to get back at times this season when he's played and Young is just forever out of position. Given his youth and physical tools, it makes sense to try with him. It seems silly to say, but if he doesn't work out at FB, I'd be interested in trying him in an advanced midfield role. Not like a 10, but a replacement for the physical prowess that Pogba provides. TFM isn't as good technically obviously, but I think in games where we want to press hard and high, he's made for that. I don't see him as a starter, but a roll player kind of like O'Shea was.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I still think he should be given a season with United to see what he's got. Dalot is going to have ups and downs next season and isn't ready to start each game. I'm still fine letting TFM back him up as long as we bring in a Darmian replacement that can play Rb and Lb and doesn't mind riding the bench. I would actually love to keep Darmian for that role but he's gonna force a move this summer.

10. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Dalot will play RW some too. May even transition there full time.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2336 Ashur, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Timmy needs to return to United and stay with the club next term, as to actually take the next step in his development. Loan stints haven't worked out for him (for various reasons). It happens and he's just one of those players who need to be kept close and developed in house.
    If Ole is hired full time and Phelan stays, I can't think of a better person to take under his wing and work close with him than Phelan. As a player, he was a RB and a DCM and whether he perfects his game as a RB or helps him make the transition to midfield (whether it's in a holding or B2B role), it's hard to believe he couldn't help Timmy improve and go some way in becoming a valuable member of the team.
    It's hard enough as it is for any youth player to break into United's senior team. Making it as a versatile squad guy would be considered a success and Timmy can make it as such with his talent.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He shouldn't. He's not good enough going forward (ala Bale) nor is he so bad on defense (again, Bale) for that to make sense.

incighte and jeff070 repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updates on all United loanees.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...10-manchester-united-loanees-playing-16022911

Note the statistical tidbit on Timmy. Clear proof to me that playing him at the back is all but a waste of his true talents. He needs to be given opportunities in midfield, where he really belongs.
    In goal, interesting to note that while a lot had been made about JP, things haven't gone well for him either whilst on loan and Dean Henderson, quietly is establishing as a very legit prospect. Doing great in the Championship atm and thus it's not surprising that clubs such as Bayern and Juve are said to be interested.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd be fine with trying TFM at 6 (especially since we have zero talent at that position currently) as I always thought that's where he would end up. But what's really worried me during these past few years is his lack of development in understanding the game. If you watch him this season, he's constantly caught out of position and not tracking people. And that's playing as a RB. Getting caught out of position and not tracking is far easier to do as a 6 and can be far more detrimental to the team.

15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    The awareness of where he needs to be when the play is away from him is severely lacking. You see him disengaged, and that tells a lot about a player.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the lack of development comes down to once more a lack of coaching. Playing in defense is not natural for him and is still somewhat new to him (the last 3yrs of his football life that is). And I would bet he has not been thought the waty he should about the intricacies of playing in defense.
    He was put there because athletically he was able to do so and he got by on his speed and strength, but that does nothing in terms of knowing where to be and when, when to push up or stay more at home, how to effectively deal with certain type of attacking players. Those are traits, as is the case with any position on the pitch really, that players have to learn and hone over an extended period of time.
    Timmy has always been a midfield player and those are the instincts he's the most familiar and comfortable with. If he's going to be played at RB or wherever at the back, then at least, he should be properly taught how to do so. At United, we know he could potentially have that in Phelan, who could also teach him along with Carrick, how to be a proper (holding) midfielder as well.

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    TFM is still a project and one that has a long way to go. He's only 21 so the time is there. But at best he's ready to be a 3rd choice 6. I don't see how he gets the minutes to develop there.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Garner's ball out wide to Greenwood to start the u23s goal yesterday was a thing of beauty.

There's no reason to have Pereira around. We should do the right thing for his career and sell him on in the summer. IMO, Garner has already eclipsed him in many facets of CM play at only 17.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mata and Herrera both leave, there is a place for AP as a squad guy at the very least. And it's not like he and Garner share the same position anyhow. There is possibly room for both on the team, depending on the moves that are made this summer...

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It was nice. A thing of beauty would have been a pass Greenwood didn't have to rescue from going out, that landed in his path.

Agree we should sell AP with a buyback clause though. We've got too many bodies in midfield who need minutes just to prove they shouldn't be ditched.

21. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    They are different players, but they are likely looking to play the same role (position and squad place) in our team. I think Garner's attributes make him a better fit for that role. Even more, Garner is 5(!!) years younger with potentially two large development leaps to make.

Both staying is feasible if Ole wants to shoehorn Garner into being a holding-type midfielder. But it's hard to imagine that's the case. While Garner takes up a naturally deeper average position from the perspective of a true No. 8; his talents and abilities are still suited overall to the role of a No. 8.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is the case (Garner being an 8), which still remains to be seen, AP is still an 8/10 and in my opinion the one player we have who can either spell Pogs, if necessary or play in the hole/as a playmaker if we were to go with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 diamond mid setup.
    Garner and AP are not really redundant in the least the way I see it.

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    If Garner's not going to be a 6 we're better off signing Szoboszlai for £10m and giving him minutes at 8.

24. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Who?

Gilma1990 repped this.
  25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Dominik Szoboszlai. I mean, Google probably isn't throwing up too many alternatives for you there...

jeff070 repped this.