Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2302 Ashur, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    U23's starting lineup vs Reading: O'Connor, Ercolani, Bernard, Williams, Barlow, Traore, Levitt, Ramazini, Burkart, Bohui

Subs: Stanley, Fojticek, Olosunde, Tanner, Galbraith

No Gomes, Chong or Garner (and Greenwood, still out injured apparently) as expected, confirming they should be involved Wednesday with the senior team at Selhurst Park.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Or maybe the senior team just need bodies dor for training this morning.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The senior squad is clearly short on numbers right now, because of all the players we've lost. It's a very solid bet that 2 or perhaps even 3 of those kids will be involved somehow in Wednesday's game...

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get your point, but unless some guys who were injured make a miraculous turn around (and that just bit us in the ass so I'd hope we've learned our lesson) we actually cannot field a 17 man squad without some bodies from the U23s/U18s.

6. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I mean, I'm not even mad. I could see where some are worried about our top 4 chances with a depleted squad. But as a viewer, I'm really excited to see some of these guys get an opportunity. That's where I lean, at least.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, the absences of Garner, Gomes and Chong have been felt by the U23s today. They tried vs Reading, but were simply not good enough overall and got beat 1-3.
    Those 3 and Greenwood hopefully soon (said to be out for another week) will get their chances with the senior team. Looking forward to it and the potential impact it could have on the team as a whole going forward.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Weird skillset on that kid. Not elite at any skill, but uses whatever he can to be helpful & useful. Don't see him having a future at the club unless he has a weird developmental spurt physically or technically.

10. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You have to highlight the fact that he can beat any man in very close proximity. Reminds me a little of what Nani used to do. We do not really have that in the squad except for Martial.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2311 Ashur, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Appreciated how Ole, in the CP post match presser, doubled down on comparing Garner to Carrick. And also how he did it, by acknowledging that a kid like that does not need that pressure, yet he'll say it anyway.
    No wonder that it's very obvious that the players want to play and try hard for him.

Edit: Garner was the 230th Academy graduate to make an appearance in the first team.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't see it yet. He never erases people and at that level, we've had a host of similarly talented kids who could erase people and the only one in the last decade to come close is Januzaj.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's 5 league defeats on the trot for the U23 now. We've got from being right around the top of the division a few weeks back, to all the way down to 6th, 11pts clear of the leaders Soton.
    There have been some mitigating circumstances obviously (especially recently) but it's still no excuse. As previously stated, I really believe we could get much better results and style of play under a better coach: Sbragia out!

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    U23s should never be about results. None of the underage teams.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've already been relegated to the Premier League 2 2nd division under Sbragia last season. And this season when at minimum we should be expecting to be in the hunt to go right back up, we're floundering pretty badly.
    The youth teams may not be primarily about results but bad results are not what is expected, desired or acceptable either. And as previously stated, poor results would be easier to accept if the way the team plays was better than what it's been under Sbragia. The lower age groups have routinely outperformed the U23 team in recent years in all aspects. Sbragia is just not very good at all and he needs to go, if/when an able replacement can be found.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The first 3 priorities are developing players, developing players, developing players. I couldn't give a rats ass what the results are. I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired. I don't know enough about what happens behind the scenes, but the only criteria is getting guys better.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting players better and arguably set them up for senior team football is a priority, but it should also be a point of honor to have the team perform at a certain level, especially with a team and academy as renowned as ours.
    Looking around the youth systems of the biggest clubs, not just in England or in Europe, you don't have their reserve team relegated from the top division as it happened to us under Sbragia's reign over the team. Bottom line is: it's embarrassing and unacceptable.
    Most of the recent call ups are U18 standouts: guys like Gomes, Garner, Chong just to name those guys might have made some appearances with the U23 team this season but they forged their reputation at U18 level, where the teams there in recent years, first under McKenna and now Butt have regularly got rave reviews both in terms of how they play and the results they get. It's something that simply can not be said about the U23 team recently.
    And it's not like there isn't proper talent either: they may not all be United or even Prem level quality players, but there is still more than enough to maintain at least a minimum level, both in terms of results and how they play. Both areas in which the U23s are found badly wanting right now. It's pretty clear to see where the blame lies there and it's at Sbragia's feet.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Our U23s aren't likely to get good results. They typically are playing against more mature players. All the "top" players for the U23s are younger. Gomes is 18, Garner is 17, Chong is 19 they are still learning their craft. It is not uncommon at united for our u18s to be dominant and then the next age group up (previously reserves) to be languishing midtable or lower. That's normal.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Laird returned from injury for the 18s, scored a goal in the process, the other day.

He put on 15lbs of muscle since he was injured. He's built like an American Football running back. It's hurt how agile and swift he is, but he is also completely unfazed by tackling and collisions. That's an interesting and unforeseen development. It's clear he isn't used to his new body yet in some regards.

He was already one of the thicker guys at the level - he was very well built when he was hurt last fall. Now he's a train. I imagine he will run some of that muscle down over the course of his return. But this could be beneficial for him.

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Another kid to keep an eye on. Shola. 15 years old with the U18's. I watched the highlights of his debut, tenacious, releases the ball quickly, good on the ball, good stature for a 15 year old.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-mason-greenwood-psg-15936458

Just a short cameo for Greenwood, but what a game to mark his first team debut. With players coming back soon, I really hope that we'll see more of him until season's end. As it's been stated before, just to see how he reacts to it, if nothing else and gauge his level of readiness for senior football.
    He could have an interesting effect on our summer business.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States