Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t know much about him other than he’s a French Left Winger.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7925615/manchester-united-transfer-news-noam-emeran/amp/

Social mefia suggest he is bit like Leroy Sane.

Rooney20 repped this.
  4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    sorry, got nothing!

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched United's U18 team beat Chelsea's in the Youth Cup. By many accounts, that Chelsea team is the most talented in its age group and United trounced them.
    Final score was 4-3, but it was really not as close as it looked. United went down to 10 men after a scuffle broke out between both teams
    Greenwood got himself a hat trick and it's now 22 goals in 19 appearances this season between the U18s and 23s. He's some talent, but he's just one of a host of good players we have a youth level. Brandon Williams at LB was excellent as well, so was Garner who started at CB, moved up to holding mid, then back to CB after United were down a man.
    Just another reason we need to get rid of the current manager ASAP...

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our youth and women's team are doing well at least. I guess that's something...

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a fun game. First time in 5yrs btw that Chelsea have been eliminated in the Youth Cup before the final. That, along with the strength of that Chelsea team, speak volume about the quality of our own U18 team.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So... this Greenwood kid. Has a bit of Welbeck and Ronaldo in him. Before we say I'm going over the top, I'm referring to Ronaldo when he was 18. One distinction from both of them is that at this stage of his career, he really understands how to get goals. I keep waiting to find a hole in his game. Obviously he needs to be tested but also just as obvious, this level is not enough to test him. He needs a loan.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Let me start up by saying either you or someone on this board rated this kid as a Welbeck, nothing big.

Now, the kid is being talked about as delivering one of the best performances in the U23's and U18's history vs Chelsea.

He is the best player in his generation in England, I can look at Brewster for Liverpool who did extremely well for the U17.

His progress depends on his development. He needs to be fast tracked to the first team and protected. We have a lot of 9's in this team or false 9's maybe a loan is good for him next year when he is 18.

Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon

benni... repped this.
  14. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    I feel like Mason is one of those players where a loan will only delay his progress. It's to be remembered that he's a young member on the U-18 team, and he's truly shown to be a special talent. He should be training with the first team and getting minutes here and there.

I'd like to see him play strictly UYL/23s/first team/youth cup for the rest of the season. He gets more from training with Rashford, Martial, et. al. than he will get from beating up poor kids across the country each week.

My only worry is that he looks probable to be injury prone as he ages. His legs are very bow-legged. The first sign of that manifesting will be if we see him start to pick up calf injuries late in the season, later progressing to knee tendonitis, LCL/MCL strains, meniscal tears, or an ACL.

Hopefully the club doctors are working with the strength staff to help him build muscle to support his natural physiology.

Father Ted and jeff070 repped this.
  15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He needs men football he won't get it here yet he needs a loan. If he is truly great then he will destroy lower teams.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenwood is still just a 17yr old kid. It probably would be best to keep him close for the time being. I agree that he's beyond playing for the U18s and being a regular for the U23 team (and occasionally with the first team) are the ideal moves for him at this time. There is time down the road to send him out on loan (provided he hasn't broken into the first team permanently by then).

17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think the way the club has handled him so far is great. Lets see what the 2nd half of the season has in store.

incighte repped this.
  18. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    He's just too young to be on loan for me. He needs the club to nurture him through this process. If he stagnates for any reason over the next 12-18 months, then a loan move should be on the cards.

Martial-Rashford-Greenwood in two seasons time is a wet dream.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2144 Ashur, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Interesting rumor going around that Ole might have decided to hand Greenwood his senior debut in the FA Cup tie vs Reading.
    Whether it's true or not remains to be seen but it would be bold given the occasion, but there is an argument to be made for choosing that type of opponent to hand a kid his debut into the senior team.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ole definitely hasn't made a decision about playing anyone in that game. There's like 3 more games before it and he literally just took the job.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Send Greenwood on loan to Molde as thank you gift. Ole should be back by May and can report on his progress in a league against real men.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Probably tear that league apart.

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I dont know how competitive that league maybe but Ole can probably pass bwttee judgement after watching him play.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multiple reports from inside the club have confirmed that Gomes, Garner, Chong and Greenwood have all been promoted of sorts into first team players. At least in the sense that they will be training regularly with the first team.
    They're still going to play with the Youth teams obviously to preserve their match fitness. But all 4 will be in the senior team setup and will be given their chance, as early as in the coming month.