Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In reality we will just sign another central midfield option.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose will surely evaluate the season that AP (and possibly McTominay as well) have had. He's all but started laying the groundwork for that move when he's played AP in Carrick's position multiple times during preseason.
    Won't be surprised in the least if he plays a similar role in La Liga this season, considering the personel Valencia have on hand in other midfield spots.
    And with Matic probably still the main option at DCM next season, it's hard to imagine who we'd get that would actually be better than AP. Nothing is impossible, so I won't rule it out offhand, but I'm very confident personally that AP will be back to stay next season (especially on the back of another loan stint).

3. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I apologize for misreading your original post. I thought you meant promoting youth players to the first team but I clearly misread what you wrote. So as I understand it, you're wondering about "the last time we promoted a highly touted kid who made it to the first team".

Luke Shaw comes to mind, a highly touted kid who came to OT at the age of 19. But he was ravaged by injury in his second season and questions remain as to whether he can ever compete at an elite level again.

Anthony Martial was a "highly touted kid" (age 20) and I hope we can agree that he's on the first team...or at least that he was a "highly touted kid".

Eric Bailly might not have been in your opinion a "kid", but he was pretty young -- age 22 -- and here is now, a colossus in central midfield for United.

Joel Pereira came to United in 2015, when he was 19. He serves on the first team.

Jones and Smalling were highly touted kids, but we brought them several years ago.

Shaw, 19. Martial, 20. Bailly, 22. Not bad stuff, actually.

But with answers so easily summoned I suspect I've misunderstood your question yet again. My apologies.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You just named players who were already experienced, starting and bought to immediately contribute, Pereira aside.

5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're not going to start 16 year olds, no matter how gifted they are. This is a club which aspires to lift major trophies and it's inevitably going to very tough for teenagers to break into a regular starting role.

Shaw was a fantastic teenager, but far from the finished product. Few of us had ever even heard of Martial. Bailly was a bit older, but hardly a household name. Each had some "experience" but none could be described at the time as "experienced". A subtle distinction but a real one nonetheless.

Examples of "experienced" players we brought in are Mata, Herrera, Fellaini and Blind. And of course Ibra, Miki and Lukaku.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jeff070 and benni... repped this.
  7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.
  13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Bullshit after seeing the fan backlash.

14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is an odd comment from him. I wonder if AP actually has a future here.

By the way, would he be an automatic starter at Valencia? Because they have already started LA Liga very well.

15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He is going to be fighting against Carlos Soler in the AM role. Kondogbia and Parejo would play as the two then Simone Zaza up top Rodrigo with Guedes on the wings or Carols Soler in the AM and Gaya on the wings too in front of Lato.

He'll play he needs to prove himself they are short in the creative central department which I would include Santi Mina Carlos Soler and Pereira.

16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is what the club has officially stated:

UNITED HAVE PEREIRA RECALL CLAUSE

Andreas Pereira has had a recall clause inserted into his loan deal with Valencia, Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has confirmed.

Pereira joined the Spanish side last week on a season-long move to follow the one he had with Granada in La Liga in 2016/17. The creative midfielder was keen for regular first-team football, even though he was in the manager's plans.

There is the option to bring the 21-year-old back to Old Trafford on 1 January 2018, if United decide he is needed for the battle ahead.

"I'm a bit disappointed that he left," admitted the boss. "But, okay, it was his decision. I open the door for his decision. He has a long-term contract and we have an option to bring him back on 1 January, so we have that situation under control."​

I've never actually read an EPL player contract but as I understand it recall clauses can only be invoked during a transfer window per league regulations. I don't think we can, say, bring back Pereira in October even if Valencia agreed to it.

We can only hope that in retrospect this turns out to have worked brilliantly for United. But I'm not confident that it will.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United U23 vs Arsenal just got underway.

United's XI: O'Hara, Riley, Olosunde, Warren, Shaw, Hamilton, McTominay, Bohui, Boonen, Mitchell, Wilson.

Shaw is playing at CB today.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal have opened the score. Deserved overall since they've had the better of the play so far.

Another freekick and another goal for Arsenal. Pretty much a carbon copy of the first.

19. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1795 Ashur, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    United are down 2-0 at HT. haven't played particularly bad, just done it in by 2 great FKs. Shaw is looking god fitness wise, plus playing at a position he's not familiar with, he's not doing bad at all.
    Wilson is trying hard and has troubled Arsenal's defense a couple of times.

2nd half started and United keep on giving away dangerous freekicks at the edge of the box to Arsenal. Hasn't cost them yet this period, but they need to cut that out...

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1796 Ashur, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    The changes with the addition of Dearnley and Buffonge have helped with our offensive rhythm and provided Wilson more support. Still no goals though. Wilson came off after playing 80mins, so it looks like back to back full games for Shaw, who has to be close to a return to the first team.

22. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dude, do you watch through the MUTV app?

benni... repped this.
  23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He probably stole it like i did.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the game via MUTV...

FT: 0-2, Arsenal. 2nd half was much better than the first one. Considering United were playing with a patchwork backline, they've done good enough overall. Shaw looked very comfortable and ready to go, despite playing out of position at CB. Won't be too long now I imagine for Jose to recall him.

JC7rox repped this.
  25. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you recommend the MUTV app? My main concern is PL matches. Do they have on-demand replays of PL matches.