Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah Pereira is the main guy I'll be looking out for. Considering that we haven't moved out any midfielders and may be purchasing one more - I'm not sure what his future looks like here. He did play some wing over at Granada and that may be a possibility.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line in this as far as I'm concerned, is just as it's been the case with United, the ultimate barometer of true success for Chelsea and City's youth policy in recent years will be thru the amount of players who end up with successful pro careers, be it with their parent club or elsewhere.
    Chelsea has been at it since the mid 2000s and more than 10yrs on, have not much to show for it, in terms of first team regulars. They've produced some good players in that time, sure, but that's as far as it goes.
    As far as City is concerned, it's TBD since they've really just retooled their academy in the last 5-6yrs, so we can't yet measure the success of their own player development. If it's to happen, I imagine we should start seeing some results of it as soon as this season.
    The level of talent produced at OT might have dropped slightly some recently, but we're still producing some serious talent (with more following currently in the different age groups), which hopefully will lead to first team spots for the very best of them.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Let me rewind because I got confused.

Nothing "special" at the moment. What have we produced thats special?

-------

Jadon Sancho is there own Angel Gomes. They took him from Watford. He's and Gomes are equally touted.

So this is one example.

There used to be a time when majority of the talent, especially in the region, signed for us. Especially by 15 16 years old. That is not the case anymore.

We had to sign Regan Poole (who isnt good enough) just to make up the numbers.

While putting Mitchell at LB may be a blessing, it was complete fluke that he ended up there. We didnt have left backs either. The top academies dont have that problem.

In summary, maybe you are taking the world surpass a bit literally. They are at least on par as fat as recruitment. It used to be us or them. Now we arent young players clear first choice destination and it shows in the numbers. It also shows on the field wrt quality.

There objectives are different than ours. While we all want to win everything, realistically we can afford to play youth players (and the only one playing is Rashford amywah), winning the CL isnt even in our thoughts.

cr7torossi repped this.
  4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Having a lot of talented young players means you can sell them for 10-20m and potentially buy them back later when they mature.

It is almost impossible for a club like United or Chelsea now to bring a player through and give him enough appearances to keep developing.

The aim of the game now, and RM is also proving it, is to have enough quality young players whom you can loan out/sell with a buyback at 19/20 so that you can potentially get ready-made players for a snippet of the price (like RM buying back Morata for €30m). And if they don't develop into MUQ, you at least still sold them at a good price.

We are getting beaten badly at the recruitment game, it is not even up for debate. Arsenal are another club who are struggling in this game and I have previously discussed this with @The Jitty Slitter

We went from snapping the likes of Rossi, Pique, Pogba, Petrucci, Januzaj etc to who? Gomes joined United in 2005 so he doesn't count.

Give me one name who is as certain as a Rossi or a Pique were when we stole them?

benni... and sdotsom repped this.
  5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LMAO at this debate while Rashford has been a key player the last two seasons for us. This debate is a non starter. Who of the vastly superior youth set ups has played a key role for their team?

Let me restate my thesis point. ********. Out. Of. Here.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fosu-Mensah and AP alone appear like sure things when we first got them (or as sure as kids can be anyway). And they definitely appear so now as well, whether it will be with United or elsewhere, like Piqué or Rossi, among others, were...

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regan Poole will be heading to League One team Northampton on loan this coming season...

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    That is a good loan. He will get plenty of time, he is still 18, I like the look of him.

9. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And before Rashford we didn't make a single legitimate regular starter for years. You can use one player as your argument, sure. My point, and I'll continue to make it, is that both Chelsea and City had invested far more in youth for a few years and they will reap the rewards of that in a few years, whether it's in sales or in a new player.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poole will get to play and that's very good. But him being loaned out to a League One team is still a bit disappointing nonetheless.

In other (very good news) Joel Pereira appears to have re upped until 2021. If we stand pat with Dave and Romero, he's another guy I wouldn't mind seeing go somewhere on loan somewhere. Pretty much anywhere, just as long as he gets to play and in decent competition. Even if has to be abroad, like AP did last term with Granada.

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good choice for the U23s. Nurtured the development of Darren Fletcher and Kieran Richardson all the way to the first team. With the talent he'll have on hand, we should hope he'll be able to do the same for a few of them.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Rashford has been at United for the last decade+

Who have we recruited of the Rossi level in the last few years.

You can't keep using tangents to keep dodging the question.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It isn't a tree that takes 20 years to mature. They should have a kid who can play in 4 years max.

Anyway, prior to Rashford we had Cleverly and Lingard and Welbeck and then Evans. Since Evans how many have Chelsea and City had combined?

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No tangents. The point of a youth system at a club of this stature is to produce players for the first team. It is lovely that Chelsea and City are buying great talents. I have one question. Where the ******** are they?

16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cleverly Welbeck and Evans are no longer here, so what does that mean? They are filed under sales next to the Keanes and co, it just took us a few extra years. Evans I thought was a mistake to let go but that is neither here nor there.

Rashford is a great product of our system and Lingard is a nice squad player.

Our weakening in the youth setup seems to be from 2013 or 14 to 2017. Again, let us see if Chelsea or City have youth products that make their team or get sold to other first teams. Alex Garcia has already started playing in midfield for City. Chabolah and Loftus Cheek were probably as impactful as Fosu and Tuan this past year, which is little. But a youth setup starts all the way down to 8 years, 11 years old - in fact that's where alot of scouts said City started to beat United in Manchester over the past few years. So who knows when we'll see the outcome of this. It could be next year, or in the next 5.

But if you're saying the purpose of the youth system is to generate quality first team players for ourselves then we're not exactly cooking as of late either. Rashford as a starter and Lingard as a squad guy. Hell Chelsea could claim Victor Moses in that way if they want.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Victor Moses? Lol, come on now: just because he's been at the club forever and on loan all over the place, doesn't make him a Chelsea youth product. The only first teamers of "note" they've produced in recent years are Ake, Loftus-Cheek and Chabolah (the latter 2 have occupied a token role at best like Timmy and Tuanzebe). City are still pretty much at zero, for the purposes of this convo. Due to the fact they did revamp their youth academy way after Chelsea, they'll get the benefit of the doubt and we'll see how their youth system develops in the next 5yrs.
    The starting point of this convo, it bears reminding, was that United were seriously lagging behind both Chelsea and City. While it's obvious that United might have lost some ground compared to those clubs, their still hanging in and really have stepped things up since Butt has taken charge of our Academy. United are still doing what they've done for decades now: and that's insuring that a couple of Academy products at minimum are constantly in the squad mix. Neither Chelsea and especially City can not make the same claim (especially since their big influx of cash).
    City are supposed to have all that elite talent on the brink: let's see what becomes of them in the coming years...

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    lol the 90s called and wanted their low pressure environment back.

The point of a youth system at a major club at this point is to produce Moratas and Akes/Christensens.

You still haven't answered my question on where is our Rossi, Pique, Pogba of the last few years.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Answering that question isn't important. I couldn't possibly care less WHERE our kids come from so long as they play for our first team. Pique and Rossi were excellent talents as was Pogba. Really good gets. All of them escaped. Meanwhile Wlebeck who wasn't a "get" got us he most $$.

I didn't say that sdot didn't have a point, I said that point wasn't relevant. Investing money having elite talents is of no consequence if he don't play for your first team. You wouldn't say a team that finished 2nd with no trophies did better than a team that finished 5th with 3 trophies how can you say it is better to have elite talents if they never make it to the first team?

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    even if we don't have a Piqué or Rossi now where is theirs if they've surpassed us?

obviously we have different expectations of youth systems

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Precisely. They don't even have a Welbeck or a Lingard.

22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Ok the last 2 posts explains the ignorance about the youth setups at other teams and the attitude towards sdot's original post.

Christensen who Chelsea stole in 2013 was a Bundesliga CL team's player of the season at 20.

Tammy Abraham at 19 was the second highest scorer in the Championship last season.

Bertrand Traore who Chelsea also stole in 2013 was in the Europa league teams of the season last year at 21.

Add Baker, Ake in the mix too for Chelsea.

That's young Rossi career trajectory for the ones I mentioned above.

johno is going to go back to his favourite tangent though. @nicephoras will find this convo amusing though.

jeff070 and sdotsom repped this.
  23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well that's nice. doesn't convince me they are elite. good talents sure but until the end result is then being first teamers i won't be convinced.

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Who have we signed or debuted thats elite?

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i never said we did. i don't know why that keeps coming up.

if they have better scouting then good on them. until it comes to fruition.it won't convince me