Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed todays game. Which of these youngsters is good enough to make the rotation next season?

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrop was my Man of the Match and I'd like to see what he can do in preseason. Tuanzebe once again, was our "Cool Lester Smooth": composed and unflappable. As mentioned in the game thread, he should stay if Jose is going to actually use him (which he should). Might be too early for Demi (really depends on what we have at LB going into the season). Can't just forget about BoJack.
    The youngsters that need to be on the team and take a part are: AP, Harrop, perhaps BoJack. Tuanzebe, Timmy and Pereira would probably be better served by going out on loan. Can even be short term loans to start until January and if they're needed, they can always be brought back then.

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel like there could be a role for Pereira now, especially if Mata gets shipped out.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1580 johno, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    If we are ready to trust kids then the likes of TFM, Tuanzebe and Pereira could be essential members of the squad but not quite the first xi (Axel is closest imo).

I'm interested in Harrop getting a loan. Can anyone advise what they've seen from Gomes? He looks a very tidy player but I don't know where I would expect him to thrive eventually. Same for Chong, anyone seen much of him?

Edit

I'd go so far as to say that I would prefer Jose to clear the squad completely of players he doesn't like, add only world class or world class potential players and fill in the squad with kids. I'd rather we buy 6 top notch players, selling 9 or 10 (to help raise the required funds) and have basically just an xi and 4 subs with the rest of players being supplied by the academy.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the U18 team a handful of times this season and there is surely lots of good and interesting talent to keep our eye on: Gomes, Chong, Gribbin, Boonen, Buffonge and there's more.
    As it goes with youth players, the key is to throw them in the deep end ie at senior level and see how they adjust there. They could be tearing it up in their age group, but for reason or another (usually physically), they're just not ready. From that sense, Gomes's very short cameo was interesting. But it's still a very short sample. At best, Jose could takeaway couple of them on tour and see how they do, but those guys are still very young and will a big part of the U23 team, which is getting pretty depleted.
    Plus, there is a lot of talent that deserve a close look from the current U23 squad, who appear ready for the senior squad.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Paul Mcguiness mentions him as a Iniesta David silva kind of player. Is he that good?

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ta-or-david-silva-says-ex-man-utd-youth-coach

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all depends on where he ends up playing. He's often played as very advanced ACM, practically SS and I thought he had shades of Messi in him, especially with his ball control at very high speed. But he's a very good passer and creator as well, so the comparisons to Iniesta or Silva can make sense I guess.
    The bottom line is that United have a special player in their hand. Even though he is still just 16, I would promote him to the U23 team at the start of next season to see how he handles it from a physical point of view and from there who knows how quickly we should start integrating him into the first team. Would rather us taking our time with him though: you rush him and you could ruin something that looks to be real special.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    TBH forgot about Valera....

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3133107/...-gets-tattoo-eintracht-frankfurt-end-interest

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Bremen banned tattoos for that very reason a few seasons ago

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers repped this.
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you can't play because you're sore/swollen from a tattoo, then you're a huge, gigantic, enormous pussy.

johno and benni... repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever might have have resulted from a tattoo when he was expressly advised not to do it, is on him. But the fact that he played so little the rest of the season is not hs fault in the least. He's suffered a couple of bad injuries that sidelined him a long time.
    This latest issue just capped what has been a bad year for him. It happens unfortunately...

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Make excuses for him if you want, but the fact is that that his chances of making it here (or at any top club) are disappearing fast. He hasn't played more than a handful of games for any top division side since coming from Uruguay.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1591 Ashur, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    I'm not making excuses for him, I'm simply telling it like it is and how it actually happened, since he, as a matter of fact, sustained 2 serious ankle injuries this season alone which effectively ruined his whole season.
    His opportunities at the top may be getting smaller, but it has nothing to do with his ability and more with "bad fortune" more than anything else, especially in what was probably a pivotal season for hims term.
    Him getting an infection as a result of a tattoo, as mentioned, is however entirely his fault...

www.ibtimes.co.uk/manchester-united-defender-guillermo-varela-could-miss-season-ankle-setback-1614610

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ankle ligament injuries tend to linger for a while unfortunately. Look at Bale and all the issues he's had the past season or so after several ankle ligament issues.

I personally messed up ankle ligaments playing soccer in college and almost had to redshirt a year due to my ankle not being right. Even when I thought I was over it I realized that my acceleration was still much slower than before and when I would strike a ball with my laces my ankle would feel really loose for a couple minutes after. Took about a year and a half before it was back to completely normal.

18. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Weakling.

benni... repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really sure where Varela is currently at fitness wise, but unfortunately, this really was a lost year for him, especially when I'm sure he probably reasonably thought he would be getting decent playing time.
    Being in the Bundesliga was also a good fit for him in term of his style as well. If he was 100% and no one else was coming in at RB, I would have wanted him to come back to spell Valencia.
    As things stand though, not sure what is going to be next for him, but he'll probably be gone. Where I guess depends on his fitness status in the near future.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bitch please. I'm a physical specimen. Doctors say they want to open up my knees and do experiments on them when I retire my from Sunday league.

J'can, johno, benni... and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Varela is still our best attacking lateral defender.

22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be fair, if the coach was willing to have him as part of their cup final squad and possibly starting team, then he must have made a pretty good impression there. As Ashur pointed, those ankle injuries wrecked his year, but I'm not sure there were other disciplinary issues or things like that until this idiocy.

23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I was looking at this pic and wondered who we were keeping.

24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well Pogba for sure....

johno and sdotsom repped this.
  25. Deadtigers