Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2476 Ashur, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    United XI for U23 game vs Reading: Kovar, Laird, Williams, O’Connor, Bernard, Garner, Puigmal, Levitt, Mellor, Galbraith, Ramazani

Subs: Ercolani, Fojticek, Traore, McGhee and Elanga

Greenwood, Gomes and Chong once more have been left out and look to be in contention for the senior squad Monday.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2477 Ashur, Aug 16, 2019
  3. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    How good is Brandon Williams? and how far away from the first team is he?

incighte repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that Williams, like Laird is another season away from first team contention. They both have been among the team's shining lights so far this season with the U23s.
    It's pretty obvious that both have taken the next step in terms of their physical status and readiness: they're strong with tons of stamina bombing up and down the flanks. With their road to the first team apparently blocked, as of now, it would not surprise me if at least one of them goes out on loan next season, to test themselves against a different caliber of opposition
    Laird is still the more exciting prospect though, but Williams is really not too far behind him .

Red Jeph repped this.
  5. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Williams is ready to step up to the first team. I'm in a minority, but I actually think he's a much better all around footballer than Laird. Laird relies on his physical advantage more than Williams.

I'd give Laird a 10% chance of making it here. He has the talent, but his body type is making him injury prone. He grew too much and put on too much muscle at a young age. Now he's off injured again and he looked to be in some pain with a knee injury.

Red Jeph repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT and the score is still 1-0 in United's favor. They really should have been up by more (created lots of chances again, Puigmal hit the bar also). Another game where they're in complete control.
    The only blot is Laird having to go off with an injury: a real bummer, considering he was once again one of the best performers on the pitch up until that point.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2482 Ashur, Aug 16, 2019
    Mellor puts Garner thru and it's 2-0. Garner starting to find his scoring boots since the preseason tour. And he's obviously taken to heart what he was told about taking his chances more often (and not be afraid to take a crack from long distance).

Sidenote, Longstaff may be the guy we're looking at but I'd love to see what Garner can do at senior level tbh, especially if he keeps this up.

FT: 2-0 United. Another clean sheet and another goal (plus good performance from Garner).
    Our guy, Neil Wood (along with Fortune) does it again. What a godsend and breath of fresh air he's been so far.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-8-16_16-0-5.png
    An excellent appointment so far (by Butt I presume?)

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Wait what?

10. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Yes.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United U23 vs Newcastle: Kovar, Ercolani, O'Connor, Menge, Garner, Galbraith, Levitt, Chong, Ramazini, Mellor.

Subs: Traore, Woolston, Puigmal, McGhee, Elanga.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2488 Ashur, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    United finally get the breakthrough via Chong. This performance today hasn't been as crisp and dominant as the others we've seen so far, but United still controlled the game, especially with very solid midfield play. Also, it looks pretty clear that Laird, and threat he pauses, has been a miss for the team today.
    1164973028729659392 is not a valid tweet id

And Ramazini makes it #2 and a very well taken one at that in heavy traffic. The hosts' spirits could be broken, as they stood up relatively well to United thus far.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-3, United. Chong at the double with another goal today. He's played like a guy trying to get Ole's attention.

15. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I thought Mike Ashley was skimping on the first team, and then I saw the state of their U-23s. Their keeper is made of smoke.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2491 Ashur, Aug 23, 2019
    And of course, Garner had to score and it's 0-4 United. Chong on the assist: another quietly brilliant display from young Jimmy.

Game over and it's another convincing win from the U23s (and another clean sheet to boot). This team is good and Garner (despite being the younger of the bunch apparently) is the star of the group but there is talent on this team and lots of it.

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I really hope most of them make it to next level at United..

18. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Thought to be considered:

Nicky Butt as the future manager? He's slowly gaining a quality reputation within the club.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Could be, but needs to do hell lot of work and were Gomes, Greenwood, Chong and Garner all nurtured under him ??

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    This game was too easy tbh. I have no idea how good Newcastle U-23 are meant to be but it should have been 6 or 7, easily.

Garner and Levitt utterly controlled the game when Utd were in possession, but because the game was so easy they got caught upfield a few times and would dive in early rather than staying on their feet and doing the mature thing, keeping his discipline. Levitt had one of these late on, Garner had a couple less blatant examples too.

Before they get considered for first team action I'd want to see the two of them in a much more even match to see if they're guilty of the same things when they can't afford to switch off. But the U-23s are a lot of fun to watch right now, and without Greenwood or Gomes.

Butt for DOF, I'd say. I don't know what he's done to merit being in charge of tactics, team talks, managing the dressing room etc, but the job he's done overhauling the academy couldn't have gone any better.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2496 Ashur, Aug 23, 2019
    I'd sooner consider him for Sporting Director/DoF position. He's proved himself far more in that capacity, than he has as a manager IMO (both in terms of the players he's recruited and the managers he's appointed. Sbragia is his only real blemish so far
    Neil Wood is someone, like McKenna that is showing real promise in terms of coaching/managing. The work Wood is doing in tandem with Fortune so far, has been nothing short of stellar as far as I'm concerned.

22. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Yeah, I agree for the majority that his CV does lean more DoF than manager.

Just one of those seed thoughts.

Things that made me ponder in with no particular importance or emphasis:
    -He has coached all the levels at one time or another.
    -He still has some involvement in the day-to-day since he leads the academy preseason training in Austria.
    -He's very involved with the 23s - and they look like they are going to (rightfully) fist ******** the PL2 second division.
    -He's largely been the one who has kept together and attracted all the talent coming in and through.
    -He has been managing the 19s in Europe competition.
    -His squad/balance management between the 18s and 23s for this cycle has been very good. Our 23s are basically our best 18/19s and our 18s are a bit skint, with the anticipated arrival of some of the European talent we are expecting to settle in or age out of the 16s. He's doing a good job leaving gaps in the odd/weak groups to help the right younger ones step up and through.

I'm also super impressed with his personal journey. He derailed after leaving and pulled himself back up from the bottom. .

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really excited about how he will go about in his new responsabilities in overseeing the transition of players from the academy into the first team. It's something, until recently that is, where we've done rather poorly for a host of different reasons admittedly.
    But it's clear that we're looking to go into a new direction, one where we will probably look to rely more on our best youth products. And that's what I'm interested to see where and how it goes in the immediate future.
    And while it looks to be an important function within the club at the moment, his accomplishments and varied scope of his work as Head of the Academy make it clear that, short of getting one of the top guys in place at this time (which looks unlikely unfortunately), Butt would seem like the best guy we could get for a genuine DoF (provided one is ever actually created).

24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dof.

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club: