Glenn Hoddle VS Paul Scholes

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Nov 16, 2014.

?

Hoddle VS Scholes : Who is the better performer

1. Glenn Hoddle

100.0%
  2. Paul Scholes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Hoddle and Scholes could play in both deep-lying playmaker or advanced playmaker. Whom do you rate higher in overall performance ?

Scholes is arguably one of the most underrated midfielders in view of awards. He is named in PFA Team of the year only twice times and never got any vote in Ballon'Dor. Moreover, he is never named as Sir Matt Busby player of the year. However, he was Premier League player of the month four times. Dbscalcio shows his best season is the 2002 - 2003 but media's view give the point to him much lower than that of Gerrard and Lampard.

Hoddle is unparalleled for his talent but never fulfill his real potential. He is named in PFA player of the year four times and got one vote of 5th place in 1987 Ballon'dor and note that in the same year (1987), the Tottenham player of the year was first held and he did not name as a winner (probably due to his incomplete year in England as he moved to France at the end of season. Hoddle played in seven World Cup games but failed to make any goal and assist. He also never scored in UEFA Euro and the highlight is the 1988 UEFA Euro against Soviet Union when he made a big mistake lost the ball in midfield area and defender did not expect it led to a vacancy and finally conceding a goal but he could compensate by assisting a goal from free-kick.

In overall, Scholes is more successful internationally in both club and country competition. So the point would be domestic club which create a question has Hoddle made an enough amount of better performance than Scholes to compensate international disadvantage ?

2. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Glen Hoddle is the easily THE most talented player in my lifetime . He just didn't have the killer instinct and couldn't tackle to save his life so he just wasn't going to be effective in a team of kick and runners like England were and still are .... He went to play in France where he was actually appreciated and regarded as godlike .

3. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I voted earlier for Hoddle but after more consideration i think it has to be Scholes (as much as i hate to say it), he is a tiny bit better scorer, a lot better in defense, Hoddle is a bit better creator but we can't disregard Scholes' long passing and Scholes has more trophies (when it's this close trophies have to be considered).

JamesBH11 repped this.
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    (agree with Stcv)
    Hoddle was more of a "playmaker" MF type
    Scholes was more an attacking MF (a bit more all rounded)

I like watching Hoddle more but in all consideration (trophies + longevity at ManU) Scholes has got an edge there

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'd go Hoddle in terms of capabilities overall, but anyway I think we shouldn't forget some of his displays in Europe:

Funnily enough though, I always got the impression Hoddle was one of Scholes's biggest fans and of course he did leave Gascoigne at home and ended up playing Scholes as his AM in a 3-5-2 in World Cup 98.

6. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Big thanks for the vids mate !

I remember seeing him send 45 yard diagonal passes for the winger Chris Galvin ( ?) , the balls were inch perfect into the corner and many times he'd put back spin on the pass to slow it down for when the winger ran onto it ... amazing .

Still never seen anyone come close to his passing abilities and he was completely 2 footed .

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not really, there were two main reasons
    1998 Gasgoine was getting older ... (but he was still arguably the best player for England in 1997 and WC98 qual)
    WC98: jus before the WC, Gascoigne got a discipline issue (against Hoddle's principle) so he was left out - nothing to do with Scholes quality or his form

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, Tony Galvin it would be (he scores the first goal vs Ajax in the video). Cool that you witnessed Hoddle/Tottenham quite a bit back in the day then.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, I think you remember the Gascoigne situation pretty well. I think eventually it may have been fitness reasons that he was left out for, but anyway I know he wasn't happy about it after as you say having played well in the qualifiers.

But I should have explained better and separated out two points:
    - Hoddle does indeed seem to be one of Scholes's biggest fans, judging by his comments as a summariser at times (certain pundits seem especially enthusiastic about certain players, and Hoddle has seemed so about Scholes)
    - And yeah, after Gascoigne was left out (not because Scholes was deemed better, although who knows what thoughts Hoddle had) Scholes did take the role of AM in the England World Cup team. But as you say that was probably more coincidental and not because Scholes was in better form that Gascoigne (IIRC Scholes only really became one of Man Utd's main star players in 98/99, the season after the World Cup anyway).

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #10 JamesBH11, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    ok understood now ... agree ,,, Scholes was alos a very very good player and deserved a try by Hoddle

I only reminded the situation when Gascoigned was excluded in WC98- that;s all