Glasses in the rain

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Beau Dure, May 11, 2019.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    This evening, I'll be an AR for back to back U19G games. The weather will be nice and cool. Unfortunately ...

I've worked in the rain once before, and I can't remember anything specific I did other than wearing my hat to try to keep some of the precip off my glasses. But does anyone have some good tips -- maybe something to wipe them during a break in the glasses?

The funny thing is that I got new glasses *yesterday*. I see very well. I need to get the nosepieces adjusted. So I might be looking through the rain and pushing up my glasses every 30 seconds.

2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I use the glasses cleaner called cat crap that does a good job repelling moisture. I also wear a billed cap to keep the rain off the glasses.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The little battery-powered windshield wipers gave out on me so I've gone back to a billed cap.

By the way, Official Sports has some really nice breathable caps, very comfortable and lightweight. And I had one of their goretex ones for tougher conditions but it walked away. Need to get another one. Any recommendations there?

I only VERY rarely have problems with condensation. Can't remember the last time it happened, but when it does happen it's a real problem.

Don't wipe them with any of your synthetic ref gear, it'll just smear them. And avoid wiping them with paper products if you can help it as it scratches. Made with wood fibers, y'know. Toss a microfiber cloth or cotton hanky in your pocket if necessary.

"Those new glasses aren't working so well ref." "You need a new prescription ref." Yeah yeah.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I have a great cap, so it might only be an issue if it's blowing.

I'm going to pack a microfiber cloth just in case.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it the impervious charm isn't an option?

dadman, Beau Dure and frankieboylampard repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Not if it doesn't work any better than it did on those two coaches Wednesday night ...

dadman repped this.
  7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Omg please stop now all I’m gonna do under my breath is utter spells. And I’m holding a wand.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  8. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I wear contacts. Problem solved.

Scrabbleship, Law5, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    RainX 2 in 1 glass cleaner and rain repellent works a bit. Not perfect, but it helps.

10. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I have worn contacts for 30 years. But recently, I have found that the only time I wear them is when I am reffing. Put them on in the car at the field and take them off as soon as I get home.

On the rare times I wore my glasses reffing, I found them to be a distraction as they move around when I am running, and of course condensation and rain can be huge issues.

If you can get contacts, do it - I believe it will make you a better ref. (if only a little bit)

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Even with today's technology still not everyone can wear contacts comfortably. I cannot.

jayhonk, dadman, Beau Dure and 3 others repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    For those who have had contacts and stopped because of problems, you might try the daily ones. I stopped wearing contacts regularly as my eyes didn’t like them all day every day. Now I use he daily ones, but mostly when I ref but for some other times I don’t want to have frames. (The daily ones can’t build up stuff on them, as you only wear them once.)

YoungRef87 repped this.
  13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Me too. Nor can I have LASIK.

The downpour did appear as forecast yesterday, but the cap served me well. I used the microfiber between games when I changed shirts and had to take off the cap for a minute.

dadman repped this.
  14. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    The cheaper alternative to OSI or goretex hats is to look for black hats whenever you happen to be in Hobby Lobby or Michaels or whatever craft big box is prominent in your area. Can cost as low as $1.99. Buy a couple.
    I cut up old t-shirts and use them for glasses cleaning or sweat wiping--it also keeps my extra whistles from rattling in my pocket. Worked with a guy last week who had a black one--why didn't I think of that.
    (Over the years I have found glasses in the rain to be way less of an issue than I originally thought.)
    Often, if it looks like rain -- or too much sun -- I will fold up a hat and stuff it in my pocket. I like to start the game without it whenever possible--but it is ready if needed.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  15. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Second on the dailies.

I have a pretty weak prescription, like a -.75 and a -1.25. So only use them for reffing or if I'm taking pictures of kids' sports.

I get a box of 90 and it lasts me pretty much the whole year give or take. When I get fitted I always ask for a few extra boxes of testers to keep as spares.

Put them in in the car at the field, take them out once home and showered.

16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I got contacts after I decided that I did not want to be the dork wearing a hat. I also had too many offers to clean my glasses after players did not like my decision. Also understand that native Oregonians look down on people who use umbrellas, so not wearing a hat was a plus on that count as well.

I only wear them for refereeing, putting them on at the game site and usually wearing them until I get home. I have the "gas permeable' hard lens. I have allergies and the contacts do not like that, so I normally take an anti-histamine before the game. Works very well.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'll take the abuse from the players and fans and occasional coach over the way the last contacts I tried felt in my eyes. I have a fairly gnarly prescription with a lot of astig. (My custom wraparound polarized fishing sunglasses cost an arm and two legs and had to be sent off to an undisclosed location for production.)

I do have a mild fear of getting nailed in the face with the ball and keep meaning to throw my spare glasses in my bag, but forgetting to do it.

But I can still call a PK from 70 yards away with the best of them.

roby, Law5, Dayton Ref and 1 other person repped this.
  18. psyc1Ops

psyc1Ops Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Singapore
    Glad it all worked out. I had completely misunderstood the break.

Beau Dure repped this.