Glass Dragons Still Breathe Fire - The Gareth Bale Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I expect you to do the same instead of crying about my crying about selected statements from an interview. Don't play that game with me son.

Maybe Bale was too busy complaining in post match interviews to notice Zidane congratulating him. In the end, he shouldn't have started, he shouldn't have complained then, and he shouldn't definitely complain now.

2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's your perspective, Bale's perspective is he came on, scored twice, got man of the match in less than 45 minutes of football, got ignored post match.

This is not about right or wrong, it's about his view of things.

If complaining about playing time and throwing hints at leaving would put you out of Zidane's christmas card list, Isco would've been off that for two years straight prior to his new contract.

Anon. repped this.
  3. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The situations aren’t the same. Coentrao was in better form than Marcelo going into the 2014 final so deserved his place. Isco wasn’t in better form than anyone in the XI in the 2014 and 2016 final apart from maybe Khedira in ‘14 but they play different roles. Pepe was better than Varane in 2014 and 2016 and Varane still started the 2017 final when he came of age with Pepe still at the club.

Bale was in incredible form leading up to the final this year so more than warranted his place in the XI.

4. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is some B.S., Bale almost single handedly tore the club apart in the 15/16 season with his demands that team be built around him and to his strengths; demands which resulted in Rafa Benitez replacing Carlo Ancelotti and the team out of 2/3 competitions by January.

Zidane worked an almost otherworldly miracle be resurrecting that situation into a CL 3-peat with a La Liga/CL double in the second season.

As far as the revisionist history, if Bale had it his way he would have started the CL final, he would have been injured after 30 minutes, Mo Salah would have scored a hattrick and been named man of the match and Liverpool would have won 5-0.

I AM SO GLAD BALE DIDN'T GET WHAT HE WANTED.

Also Ronaldo came up with a couple of goals to help his team win this weekend, maybe Bale can tell us about what he was doing and how things went for him this weekend then shit on his current coach for starting him then substituting him out.

5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Carlo Ancelotti winning Nothingcelotti got him sacked. Same thing happened to Carlo at Bayern 1,5 years later.

Clearly Madrid played against Sassuolo and i didn't notice.

6. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Yeah I don't have an issue with this. This is actually a good thing in my opinion.

Now what he said after the match pissed me off.

Deep Pal, Zidane05 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm 100% positive Bale was fishing for a transfer until Ronaldo came through first. I'm sure if he knew back then Ronaldo would be gone he'd be kissing the badge and doing all types of stunts.

8. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    He is kissing up to J Lo. I'm guessing after the weekend, 'kissing' alone is not good enough to grant him a starting spot. He was completely out of sync with Modric/Kroos in the midfield, By the time Casemiro came on, Modric already ran himself to the ground running up and down & around trying to cover for the rookie.

9. ElCapitánSR4

ElCapitánSR4 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 14, 2017
    That's not fair to Dani Ceballos. I agree that he didn't play well, but our whole midfield didn't play good enough in the first half. Dani was the best midfielder with Spain against Croatia. The problem was that Casemiro didn't start the game. I am 100% sure that Dani would play a different game with Casemiro on the field, just like Kroos and Modric did in the second half.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  10. T2100

T2100 Member

May 4, 2017
    Bale scored like 7 goals in a row before the UCL final, he was proving himself so hard to get the starting spot in the final.

11. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    I don`t see how Spain against Croatia correlates with this game. Objectively he had a bad game. Constantly caught off position which is especially bad when our defensive layout includes tons of pressing. As result it is not surprising that whole midfield had a bad match.

I like Ceballos a lot. But him starting in Bilbao had zero sense whatsoever. NT break makes it even easier. It was a big blunder from Lope.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I have 0 issue with him starting. Rotations will and have to happen for this team to succeed, and you have to trust your players in small and big games. The issue was why Casemiro didn't start, and if he didn't rest, why wasn't Llorente the one to take his spot. It was a gamble that didn't pay off for the coach.

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dani wasn't even bad, so it doesn't really matter.

Anon. repped this.
  14. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    I agree about Casemiro without any doubt. Meaning Modrić hits the bench which has merit considering he is not 100% match ready. The problem is that you are replacing him with Ceballos while you are leaving Isco on the bench.... Against Bilbao.

Eh. He was constantly off position in phase of defense. Bilbao exploited that perfectly.

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    On the other hand, Casemiro didn't deliver much in the attacking half of the field.

16. ElCapitánSR4

ElCapitánSR4 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 14, 2017
    That game showed that Ceballos is ready, and I said that Ceballos had a bad game against Bilbao. It is just not fair to blame only him, because Kroos and Modric were bad too.

17. Raul_Madrid

Raul_Madrid Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just wondering, where are all the Bale haters now ?

Anon. and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  18. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They're waiting until he gets injured and then they'll say he's trash.

Same old, same old.

Anon., MiamiNative0722 and libertao repped this.
  19. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    There are like two posters who hate on Bale and you're making it seem like it is most of the forum.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  20. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I was calling for Bale to be sold last couple seasons and I stand by those calls based on the reality that he was playing 50% of our games... If we manage to get a healthy Bale who can contribute in most games great, if not as good as the performances may be when healthy it'd be a huge luxury to keep a player who is always injured.

21. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not sure if they consistently post any more but there was quite a few more than two.

libertao and Anon. repped this.
  22. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first five injury plagued seasons at the club suggest that over the full course of a season he is not a reliable option as a starting player much less the "star" player.

The fact that after only a little over a month and a few games into this season some people are ready to declare his season a success says alot about the heavily reduced standard set for him.

I will not dispute that he has put scored a couple of legendary goals in finals which is probably sufficient to cement his legacy and that he has gotten off to a decent start post Ronaldo era. HOWEVER, I never rated him as high as some even strictly on peak performance and take issue with his attempts to medal in personnel decisions by sending his agent to the president and press in the past and then using the CL final to lobby for a transfer or nonnegotiable/untouchable starter status (apparently regardless of injuries which are the only things that have ever caused him to be out of the lineup).

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    His numbers are better than most players people consider "better than him". If anything the standard is astronomically high.

Saeta Rubia and Anon. repped this.
  24. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My only concern is his health, if he's healthy he will be among the candidates for the balon d'ore

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  25. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Are we still doing the Bale vs Neymar? Neymar looked to get much further than him but after the last CL and the disappointing world cup Neymar had, i rate Bale higher.