Glass Dragons Still Breathe Fire - The Gareth Bale Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

James was incredibly consistent considering he was appearing in less than half the games and "should" have lost form due to his sporadic playing time. I mean he was literally up against a manager dead set on ruining his career and still never played a bad game under Zidane.

Bale was inconsistent on various levels but if for no other reason he was inconsistent due to injuries.

Stiliyan repped this.
  2. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    And Bale has more than lived up to those expectations in spite of being ridiculously injury-prone. More so than what Zidane (as a player), R9, Figo & Beckham ever did and some of their are viewed as all-time great RM legends.

3. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A lineup of with R9, Zidane, Figo, and Beckham [+ Raul + no DM + no bench) should tell you all you need to know why the team was not successful.

I mean we were regularly counting on the likes of Pedro Munitis and Raul Bravo to rescue us and that just wasn't going to cut it.

Fact is Bale has never played at a level above peak Zidane or R9, not for one game or one season and not in a Madtid shirt.

He was however part of better overall teams like in 16/17 where he was a total non factor on one of Madrid's best ever teams that won a double and repeated CL; or 17/18 where again he was a complete non factor until the final and was "given" the opportunity those players never had (and was totally unappreciative about it).

4. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lots of interesting comments from Bale

Anon., saadomar and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  5. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I don't really blame him.The club dealt with the whole situation extremely poorly, starting of with giving him a new contract. He's content with his position in football.

There are so many British players with big reputations but small trophy cabinets. This guy has won everything at the biggest club in the world and has played a significant part in those successes. He simply does not care anymore and there is literally not much more he can achieve in his career.

6. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What annoys me about the Bale situation is his and many others refusal to understand that the Bernabeu was harder on him than the others because he was suppose to take over the mantle from CR7. His wages certainly indicate that but his play did not.

He had been treated like a superstar galactico since he stepped foot in Madrid and heralded to take over for Cristiano. The time comes and the guys bombs badly. Of course fans are going to be pissed. I'm glad he is playing well but at the end of the day he is unreliable.

S1na, ahnaf, PigBenis and 6 others repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Bale wanted to be the main star of the biggest club in the world. He wanted to be untouchable and the centerpiece.

To now complain about being the scapegoat is silly because he feels different rules apply to him.

He can't enjoy the good, but discard the bad. He asked for it.

Kroosinator, hala_madrid722 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #4258 Saeta Rubia, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Bernabeu will be disappointed if they expect someone else to be another Ronaldo including Hazard. Ronaldo type players comes around every 50 years. Last season several starters were a mess and there was no stability starting from the most important position which is the coach. Majority of the players were underperforming except Benz, Reguilon and Vinicius. Bernabeu has booed Ronaldo more than 5 times at least so players shouldn't take that personally.

Anyways, RM will have to find a proper structure and consistent team effort if we are to succeed again. Can't expect another Ronaldo to hide the weaknesses anymore(like CL 17-18 and still league season was bad). Bale can contribute in a good team. I feel that'd the same even for Hazard. He won't work any magic if 6-7 starters are below par and he himself can start underperforming then. He had Conte and Mourinho's defensive stability and Costa's goals when Chelsea won 2 leagues. They have also had some really terrible seasons when things were similar to RM last year.

Anon. repped this.
  9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He never asked for Ronaldo to be sold. He has always praised Ronaldo and his agent also said the same last season.

libertao repped this.
  10. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1169681784747024385 is not a valid tweet id

1169683289931747328 is not a valid tweet id

1169683334622044161 is not a valid tweet id

saadomar and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  11. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wonder which foot he’s going to score the CL winning goal with this season? Perhaps another header?

12. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    “Golf is a hobby like anyone else would have a hobby. There is nothing wrong with having a round. People make a lot of it but a lot of footballers play it and it’s one thing I really enjoy. It keeps me calmer off the pitch and gives me time away from football, which is nice.”

Bale was also quick to provide some context when quizzed on whether this ranked as the worst time of his career. The 30-year-old referenced his early days at Tottenham Hotspur, when he came close to joining Nottingham Forest. “It’s obviously not been great [this summer],” he said. “I wouldn’t say it’s the worst time of my career. I remember not playing for a year under Harry Redknapp.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/05/gareth-bale-very-happy-called-golfer-real-madrid

Sheva, Kane, Rooney, Tevez etc have been playing Golf during their pro football days as well. Spanish media have had a weird obsession about Bale playing Golf ever since his RM move. It's like they'd rather have him party during free time lol.

13. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    Bale is in good spirit, and James is too.

ZZ must set his ego aside and get the best out of these guys, there are too much quality to waste.

Strokedoc and saadomar repped this.
  14. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Who said he did

15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would refute the point that he wanted to be the main man and centerpiece, wouldn’t it?

Baltor and Anon. repped this.
  16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we want someone who can just “contribute in a good team” can we lower his wages to what we pay say............ Luka before his Balon d’or boost then?

17. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    When Cristiano left... how would it?

18. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always been one to say that we can’t rely on Bale to be our talisman. However, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to suggest that that is what he wanted and expected. I do think he considers himself a Galactico level player that should start regularly, but not to expect him to be Cristiano.

Anon., saadomar and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  19. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #4269 robnycus, Sep 5, 2019
    Just like Pogba.. players are not at fault for how much money clubs are willing to throw at them.. those negotiations were carried out by their agents and the clubs..
    James did not cost 80M but Flo paid that because that is what his agent demanded after his great WC14 performance...
    Suarez cost the same and he was actually worth it, becoming a more valuable player for Barcelona.. best striker in the world at that time, and a different level from James.

Bale had a great season with Tottenham ..everything after that with regards to how much money he earns is all on Florentino..

Fans can’t resent Bale for Flo’s incompetence when negotiating his salary.
    It was Flo who, based on Bale’s salary, made Bale comparable to CR7 in the eyes of the fans. Why would he earn more than Benzema for example?

Bale should have never gotten that ridiculous fat pay check when we first got him back in 2013 to begin with .. James, in comparison, never earned anything close to that sum and he is also a highly marketable player.

Baltor repped this.
  20. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bale had Carlo fired and Rafe hired with the explicit purpose making him the centerpiece of the attack and star of the team by playing him as a #10. We all know how that ended.

Last season, somewhat out of necessity, Bale was again given the opportunity to be the star of the team, and again he failed to stay healthy but more importantly he failed to perform at the level needed and expected for the "star" of the team, a designation which he wanted to be.

21. Romanero

Romanero Member+

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Comparing anyone but the midget with Cristiano is absurd. No one should expect any player in the whole world to perfom even close as him, anyone who though that'd happen can only blame theirselves. But yea, alot of people expected him to perfom as good or better than Neymar for example, who was pretty much his direct rival, bought at same transfer window (and "cheaper") for our rival club, i even remember the Bale x Neymar discussions in first season, sadly after first one we saw who made a better deal :/

22. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #4272 robnycus, Sep 5, 2019
    Based on what? On that Times square poster?
    I don’t really see anyone making the claim that Kane is as good as Neymar or even Aguero for example..
    I still don’t get the hype..
    people were fooled.

23. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it but sounds like he's throwing shade at the club.

I can't help but feel like the wheels are gonna come off at some point regarding the whole Zidane/Bale/James thing, especially since they are going to be competing against each other while Hazard and Benz will continue to be untouchable no matter their form.

24. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You mean the goal that secures us a CL qualification spot in the last league day?

:D :D :D

PigBenis, saadomar, ahnaf and 4 others repped this.
  25. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    :(