Give Wigan some credit

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by PopinFresh, Nov 16, 2003.

1. PopinFresh

PopinFresh New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Up my wifes fanny
    I know there is a different forum for this, but I thought more people would see it here. Wigan-playing well and hovering around 1st place deserve credit for there performance thus far. If they get promoted it would be amazing. From the 2nd division to the EPL in 2 years!

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed!

Moved.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nov 12, 2015 4:18:04 PM
    The former Wigan manager found travel to be the most challenging aspect of his first season in charge of the Houston Dynamo.
    Add Owen Coyle to the laundry list of players and coaches who have found North American travel to be one of the trickiest aspects of adjusting to life in MLS.
    The former Burnley, Bolton and Wigan manager took over the Houston Dynamo this past season, leading the club to eighth place in the Western Conference. While Houston went 9-4-4 at BBVA Compass Stadium, the Dynamo managed just a 2-10-5 mark away from home.
    "The difference, and what I have learnt, is the road games," Coyle told Sky Sports. "It's not like back home in England where there are 20 teams in a 50-mile radius. In Texas, it's nearly three times the size of the whole of the UK. When we travel, I'd actually equate it to playing a European game every second week in terms of when you go on the road because flights can range from anything between one hour and five hours.
    "There's no buses, you've got to fly everywhere because of the size of the country and we're changing time zones all the time, we change altitude. I've got to say the first season has been so much of a learning curve but within that we've done very well at different things."
    Having managed in the Premier League and Championship, Coyle compared the quality of play in MLS to that of the English second tier — with one notable exception.
    "It's fair to say, when you look at the level and all the different teams, you would probably equate it with the Championship back home," Coyle said. "What will happen is, with all due respect to the teams back home in the Championship, you'll see that nobody's going to have a Sebastian Giovinco or a Kaka, a Robbie Keane or a David Villa, boys of that standard which we have in the league."