Give the Gift of Personal Protection this Christmas

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Bill Archer, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, just because I am sick of the yammering I will answer your question, although I was right the first time: it's impossible for someone who is not Christian or who knows nothing of the Bible other than a few tidbits to engage in this kind of discussion.

NEVERTHELESS:

The Lord does not invoke against killing. He invokes against murder. The original Hebrew is quite clear on this. Self defense, legal execution, etc. are not invoked. Only murdering for personal selfish motives.

Secondly, and you will NEVER understand this part, the Lord does not commend "peace" as the ultimate virtue. Rather, he insists that we "love". And love, however you define it, includes the love I have for my family and the responsibility that love demands, including the responsibility to protect them from harm.

Indeed, if I let an intruder come into my home and harm my wife and my children, then I have failed them and in so doing failed in the responsibility the Lord gave me when he entrusted them to my care.

Being a Christian does not mean wandering around like a lotus eater preaching peace. It means entering into a covenant with God and man.

2. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Yes, murder is a sin. Murder as definded in the dictionary is

1 : the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought.

No one here is advocating unlawful killing.

As far as biblical text on bearing arms, refer to Luke 22:35-38 as Jesus tells his disciples at the last supper…

35 Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
    "Nothing," they answered.

36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

37 It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

38 The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords." "That is enough," he replied.

Jesus was telling his disciples to arm themselves for protection. If they are killed, then they cannot complete their mission of spreading His word.

To add to Bill’s comment, I feel that I have been given the honor of protecting my family by the Lord himself. If killing one evil entity to save the lives of six is necessary, then so be it.

I'll retract the genuine question regarding the killing of unborn babies for another time. Thanks.

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops! Do you think you can find something big enough to cover that newly blown hole in your world view?

I, for that matter, am so not Christian it ain't funny (better get ready to cover another hole there...) so I have no moral qualms about plenty of types of killing. Hearing about burglars being shot by homeowners exercising their rights to possess firearms gives me a raging hard-on. Can I still give spoonman a hard time?

Update: spoonie is up to four post-"never post in here again" posts. Since I didn't give a deadline on the over/under, I think nine is quite doable...

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    With all due respect, the Roman Catholic church thinks there's quite a bit more to it than this.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect, no, not really.

The only disagreement is the nature of that covenant and it's requirements.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    My bad--I thought that you meant the simple "you must let Jesus into your heart" covenant common among evangelicals. The covenant required by Catholics is different and requires a lifetime of good works.

7. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Another question is, did he pick his moniker because he likes soup, or cocaine?

I'm betting on the latter.

8. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You keep on counting dude, have fun.

Since you two keep on talking at the same level, let me ask you something, which of the following would you say straight in a Dutchman's face? Let's say standing in a bar in The Netherlands, or would you keep it to the board?

Serious question.

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is part of a rather precisely prescribed set of "Sacraments" which seem to me to realate more to Islamic tenets - 5X daily prayer, pilgrimmage (hadj), zakat (essentially aid to the poor), etc - than to protestant reformed dogmas up to and including so called "funadmentalist" or "bible based" practices.

Of course in Christian faiths the development of a Christ-like character is - as you say - the real basis, but even that requires an exlicit acceptance of Jesus as Saviour, a repentance of sin, baptism, communion, etc.

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if Babelfish has a Dutch setting. What is your language's word for "tool"?

Your inclusion of the fifth one is interesting. Do the Dutch not tolerate teasing the French?

The funny thing is Smiley's first two quotes are completely truthful. Plus, are you so freaking thin-skinned that you'd brawl with someone who called fries with peanut butter "vile"?

11. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not an answer

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Maybe he looked up 'pusillanimous'

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six...

Anyway, since I'm neither German nor Muslim, I'd have a healthy fear of at least a really big Dutchman. Were I German muslim, forget it, nothing would be off limits...

14. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sitting behind your computerscreen you're having a very big mouth is not a big problem for you guys . But having the guts to use that kind of language in one's face is a tougher question.

That sounds very..eh..........how do you call it......eh.......
    Yeah, that's it, thanks

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    OK, now I'm angry. Let's meet tomorrow for a rumble at the Rijksmusem, in the Rembrandt room at 10:00 am. I'll be armed with a really sharp gouda.

16. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This already not very classy thread just went down even more.

17. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

How do you plan on mounting him, Smiley?

18. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  19. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Before they are desensitized to the suffering of animals, PETA aims to help kids see the violent bloody truth behind their fathers’ outdoor pastime.

Too late. My kids love fishing as much as I do. :D

20. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I don't like eating or mounting fish, so I use a 30-06, 180 grain, to make sure that they don't swim away.

21. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You all back in redneck mode?

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK pal, enough of your childish mewling. All you're doing is letting some guys who are smarter than you make you look stupider than you probably are.

Not that I give a crap how stupid you look, but it's not the type of thing I allow around here.

Time to give it up. Just consider this freindly advice.

23. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dude, the filth you guys wright is just beyond belief. Not even speaking about the "facts" presented here.

Yeah right... :confused:

Cmon, you're calling me stupid? The average Dutch couple has between two and three kids, so you say that minorities have a birthrate of ten to fifteen kids per couple (how do they have time then to beat up homo's huh?).

It is just a small selection and I'm not even speaking about the sudden WW2 filth written.

Later you posted
    On how reacted with...

You didn't bother to react to this (not that i care) but how is this not posting with a double standard?

I just feel obliged to defend when you guys speak like this about a country you obvious know nothing about. But the moment Smiley321 and Erik B admit they only post it and are too coward to say it in ones face it's good enough for me.

I will leave this guestbook for what it is, providing the "below the waist" talk is to be quitted.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    There was the union guy who decided he wanted to hire a prostitute. He went to every brothel he could find, asking, "Is this a union establishment?" Finally, one said yes... He look around, found a stunning redhead and said "How about her!" and run up to his room. Next thing he knows a door opens and in walks in an old bucktooth, gray-haired saggy breasted hooker.

"But I didn't ask for you.. I ask for the red head," the guy splutterred.

"Yes," the woman responded. "But this is a union brothel, and I have seniority."

Sachin

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seven pages later...

...I say go with the pump-action. Your wife--or whoever in your household is using this weapon (hopefully never)--will be grabbing it in a quick-damn hurry. You need to get a round (or is it 'shell' with shotguns--I never know) into the chamber toot-sweet. The pump is, after all, more than likely (with many models, anyway) where you will holding the gun with the hand that's not holding the stock/putting finger-to-trigger. So it's going to be almost second-nature to have your hand there, anyway.

Plus, as noted, the sound of a round being jacked into the chamber sends a pretty strong message on its own.