Give the ball to Bobby, he will score...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by speker, Jun 24, 2015.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #252 Samarkand, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Really?

Never hid the fact that a lot has been written about him by pundits and players since the start of the season. Got the Gini quote from one of the blogs and don’t see an awful lot of paraphrasing of Critchley’s article in my thoughts, especially the comparison to Dalglish. That came to me when thinking on the Burnley game.

But because there’s an article written praising Firmino using a quote I used, I must have lifted it from that article and then paraphrased the rest of it.

But, yeah, whatever…:rolleyes:

My point - if I’m allowed it and no one in the history of the universe has ever uttered anything similar using, ummmm, words - is that Firmino just might the closest thing we’ve seen to Dalglish since Dalglish. He’s that important and that good. He’s not King Kenny yet, nor is he likely to be, but he is close.

(And I’ll lay dollars to donuts that my comparison of Firmino to Dalglish is not original, that somebody else has made it. Because, umm, the two are reasonably similar).

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Alright calm down mate. Did you not notice the smiley face?? Jeez .......

usscouse repped this.
  4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And in a reverse ninja time travel thingy, the Kop and Jamie Webster stole and paraphrased my thread title into a song.

usscouse repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    damnit -- sue the bastards !!!

it worked for usscouse - he patented the "Liverpool-Liverpool-Liverpool" chant back in the 1890s. made a bloody fortune in three-penny bits.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #256 usscouse, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    image.jpg
    Those were the days my friend.

Oops! I mean this one.
    image.jpg

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When you talk about different formation options, one of the ones that is brought up is a 4-4-2 diamond. In that formation, the midfielder who plays at the tip of the diamond essentially fills the same role that Firmino is playing for Liverpool. However, at the same time, Firmino is filling the roll of a center-forward in a 4-3-3. Liverpool are getting the benefits of both formations because we have one player who can simultaneously fill two rolls.

Wingtips1, StiltonFC, russ and 2 others repped this.
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ... or even two roles.

:)

Wingtips1 and StiltonFC repped this.
  9. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Firmino fills two rolls, it's curtains.

upload_2019-9-3_18-10-29.jpeg

SamScouse repped this.
  10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50 PL goals, 29 assists (3 season + 4 games)
    15 CL goals, 8 assists (2 seasons)
    1 goal EL, 2 assists (1 season)
    2 goals, 2 assists - FA + EFL (3 seasons)

Not bad so far. Not bad at all.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    He was thinking of Neymar.

jeffcoop repped this.
  12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #263 zaqualung, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    2nd closest. Just ahead of Peter Beardsley.

But the closest thing to Dalgish to sign for Liverpool was one Jari Litmanen......... (everyone would know this if it weren't for the befuddlement of an utterly clueless Frenchman pseudo-named Le Hoof)

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #264 StiltonFC, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Litti was 30 when he signed for the Reds. Houllier was a real dope for relegating him to a secondary role ( not roll ), starting him in only 5 matches, but his best football was behind him when he came to Anfield, so likening him to Dalglish is a stretch.

To be fair, Dalglish did score 73 goals for Liverpool after he turned 30, but he scored almost 100 in the 4 seasons prior.

Litmanen would never have scored half than many, even if he started every match for Houllier and stayed at Anfield for 7 more years.

Samarkand repped this.
  15. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You've been trying to get that to catch on for two decades. Let it go .........

Wingtips1, SamScouse and speker repped this.
  16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Zaq never liked the style of football we played under Houllier but in my books any manager who does the treble must have something about him . Its a rare thing.

[​IMG]

Red Bird repped this.
  17. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool won the UEFA Cup against Alaves, who finished 7th in La Liga that season. They beat Birmingham City, 6th place at the time, on penalties in the League Cup. In the FA Cup Liverpool bested Arsenal, who finished in 2rd place.

While I agree that the achievement was worth applauding, it might have been more impressive had the competition been stronger in the UEFA Cup and League Cup.

18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #268 delaynomo, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    True.

But that was after beating Olympiacos, Roma, Porto and Barcelona to get to the final.

Olympiacos won Greek Super League in 2001.
    Porto were second.
    Roma won Serie A in 2001.
    Barcelona were 4th.

Not exactly easy pickings.

19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Coming out as winners in three major competitions in the same season is a massive achievement . It's special because it happens so infrequently and I find it strange that anyone would try to discredit such a rare achievement.

I really think you should have stopped at "applauding" .

Wingtips1 repped this.
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no-one is discrediting it - all I ever said about it can be summed up by the fact that we were played off the pitch by arsenal until Le Spoof decided to introduce one of his best players, thus undoing his drooling penchant for not starting his best players......

Anyone playing Danny Murphy as a winger instead of Patrik Berger has at least a few screws loose.....

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    His best football might have been still there for another coupe of years. We'll never really know. In fairness to Houllier he might have been forced to make more use of Jari had he not broken his wrist ....

(Also -Likening him to Dalgish was as an archetypal player type. Not as a player to be otherwise defined in a short period of his career.)
    here - feast your eyes on this....

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Much as I would like to take the credit for that, no.... I coined Le Spoof, but others were calling Le Clod Le Hoof before I was.

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would dispute that management had anything to do with the winning. The grit and determination of guys like Hyppia, Carra, Stephane Henchoz, Didi Hamann, Steve Gerrard won those 2 bigger trophies

24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You were definitely the only one on any of the boards.

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You are incorrect. I may have been the one repeating it, but I was not the originator. Sam's great friend RedAdder used it before i did...... for definite...)

I wish I had thought of it....

It's pure poetry.