NSR: Give me your rested, your rich, privileged White Colombians yearning to post in soccer forums...

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by dapip, Oct 18, 2018.

?

My parents/grandparents/great great great grandparents arrived:

1. They were here when Columbus got lost and hit America

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. They arrived in the Mayflower

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. They came shackled and got to work in plantations at the sound of a whip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They arrived through Ellis Island between 1830 and 1950

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. They came here as a result of _______________ crisis

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. I'm the first one to move here from my country.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It has to do with social and economic mobility, the US had relatively high mobility but since the 80s has been decreasing to the point it is almost at monarchical levels.

[​IMG]

This is more poor shaming. A lot of working people is in social programs because a. they cannot afford to live without assistance, and b. because we have built a lot of working requirements into welfare.

Or you have two parents or one parent that work 2 and 3 jobs, can't make ends meet and don't have time to help you with anything, not to mention that probably you will be shamed at school for getting food assistance and wearing raggedy clothes.

Or shame the poor for being poor.

So when you start to study you are required to know what you're going to get paid in 2 or 4 years? Or if you don't study, can you compete with Pete the Barista with the masters degree? True, a lot of kids make poor choices, but it is not as simple as they getting on a sick loan because they wanted to study some unprofitable career. College education has become too expensive and a bachelors degree is the minimum requirement for jobs that only pay 40k or 50k per year, so we as a society need to tackle both, our education inflation and stagnant salaries. Just for information purposes, here is an income vs tuition costs graph:

[​IMG]

sidspaceman repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It has to do with social and economic mobility, the US had relatively high mobility but since the 80s has been decreasing to the point it is almost at monarchical levels.

[​IMG]

This is more poor shaming. A lot of working people is in social programs because a. they cannot afford to live without assistance, and b. because we have built a lot of working requirements into welfare.

Or you have two parents or one parent that work 2 and 3 jobs, can't make ends meet and don't have time to help you with anything, not to mention that probably you will be shamed at school for getting food assistance and wearing raggedy clothes.

Or shame the poor for being poor.

So when you start to study you are required to know what you're going to get paid in 2 or 4 years? Or if you don't study, can you compete with Pete the Barista with the masters degree? True, a lot of kids make poor choices, but it is not as simple as they getting on a sick loan because they wanted to study some unprofitable career. College education has become too expensive and a bachelors degree is the minimum requirement for jobs that only pay 40k or 50k per year, so we as a society need to tackle both, our education inflation and stagnant salaries. Just for information purposes, here is an income vs tuition costs graph:

[​IMG]

sidspaceman repped this.
  3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I don't disagree with all here but you can't paint all this with the same wide brush. Poverty is also 'inherited' and it can be a formidable task to escape from the grips of poverty even for families that have some type of positive semblance. The issue for me is being in that upper middle class bracket doesn't help manage/mitigate some of the risks I take/have taken to provide my family with a financially supportive system.

Take your scenario, "don't go to a 50k a year school"...completely agree. I have a daughter entering HS. She's a solid A student and will likely graduate top 10% of her class and with solid SATs/ACTs she will probably have lots of great choices. She doesn't want to be a plumber or an electrician and I dont blame her as you should be interested in what you're going to pursue for the rest of your life. NO ONE really knows what the hell they want to do at 18 anyway. But even our state school (Rutgers) is currently at $32k (before all expenses) and that's in-state fees.

They provide need based aid only (you have to make <$85k to qualify), . Merit based scholarships are rarely/minimally awarded at any of the top schools in the northeast, so at best we'll be forking out $32k per year, which means clearing about $50k in gross income to cover that bill. That's insane that I will need to earn ~$200k to cover a 4 year cost of a public state school. I don't mind a small loan but having carried some huge student debt I know how hard it can be to just swim out of that hole. My kids don't need to have that huge burden.

So either we earn very little as a family for this area, less than $85k, which would only help us afford to live in some of the worst neighborhoods with horrible public schools that wont really help my kids get a solid education and have a negative effect in standardized tests and college admissions OR you make a solid living as a dual income family but pay the highest taxes to live in a good neighborhood and be 100% responsible for forking over a huge chunk of money over a short amount of time with no guaranteed ROI. Oh and we have two other kids behind her. That bubble will have to burst soon. The system is rigged and fried for all except the very very wealthy.

Azucarero, sidspaceman and dapip repped this.
  4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    big difference in your argument @dapip is we're a few years ahead of Mr Czd so he doesnt get it yet .When those kiddie bills start to mount and you realize you're never saving enough, it'll be a rude awakening.

sidspaceman repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow bro that’s scary!!!

I mean, I’m no stranger to the picture but things seem comparably good in Florida in the middle of the road scenario. My best friend’s son is graduating this year and I’ve been syphoning information and Florida ain’t that bad, although not cheap.

Here the in state tuition to public universities is about 12k per year with more or less a similar costs for room and boarding. Assuming we stay in about the same income bracket, plus our yet to start college savings, I think that amount would be manageable (prepaid tuition plans plus some cutting and trimming). But for most other families, saving for college and/or forking out extra money for food and rent are probably impossible as it is now.

kromekote and sidspaceman repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The end of democracy:

sidspaceman repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

sidspaceman repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

sidspaceman repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sidspaceman repped this.
  10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

dapip repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Amazing thread from Amash:

sidspaceman repped this.
  13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The problem is that 45% will still vote for him, and another 3 to 6 % will think of their vote as too important to waste it on democracy. That plus the electoral college and the GOP attacking voting rights and we’re nowhere near a safe margin.

16. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Whenever anyone tells you that Fox is a news station, show them this clip:

sidspaceman repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or this:

sidspaceman repped this.
  19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or they can stop being little bitches

Reading about the Sprint - T-Mobile merger

3/5 people deciding are Republican and 1 picked by Obama. The other 2 are democrats. Wtf did Obama put a republican in power

Supreme Court. Obama wanted a centrist judge. Republicans didn’t let him pick him. Who do republicans pick? A guy who raped girls in high school and a guy who thought a employee should die waiting for help to not lose his cargo.

So it’s tough to feel bad for democrats when they are pussys. And let the republicans steal their lunch money and still go no we need to play fair

Republicans chooses child molestors and dudes who get prostitutes. A Democrat makes a joke 20-30 years ago that offends some over sensitive liberal and they need to step down.

Democrats expect a Jesus level savior candidate

Republicans are happy with someone as long as they aren’t a democrat and don’t raise their taxes. They are too stupid to realize they are voting against their own self interest and that a tariff is a tax

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I'm sure your narrative applies to a section of the voters, but just to go around one fact, the election was decided in 4 states by less than 200k votes (or 3 and less than 100k if you exclude FL), while there was voting suppression, misinformation and probably Russian hacking at several levels.

So yeah, some Dems look for perfection, while most republican voters will even take the tax hike (or a recession) as long as they can get abortion bans or the racist wall, but that the system is rigged against democrats (and that they're to blame to an extent) is a reality that we have to deal with.

sidspaceman repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member