Give A Cheer, It's Yanks Abroad (06/07 Edition)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 14, 2006.

1. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Football Manager 2006, I came across a player named Jan Barreau who played for Niort and had dual French/US citizenship. I looked him up on the Internet and was only able to come up with this:

http://www.playerhistory.com/Default.aspx?page=player_details&playerID=82634

I recently purchased the 2007 edition of the game and now he's listed as playing for Fontenay-Le-Comte. I've tried verifying this, but info on Fontenay is very hard to come by. Does anybody know anything about this guy?

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Interesting stuff, thanks. Never heard of the guy but I'll check it out.

Playerhistory.com stuff tends to be pretty reliable, so I'd call it a good lead to be sure.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to run through Championship Manager to see if there are any other lesser-known names worth checking out? We have in fact "discovered" some players thanks to that game.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anthony Pino, the GK who was reported by YA to have signed in Paraguay back in 2005, was a freshman GK at Shepherd University in West Virginia this fall. He played in five matches, starting four.

Because I'm a smartaleck, I'll point out that Pino was listed in the original article as "a still growing, 5'10'' ... goalkeeper" and, according to is school appears to still be a still growing 5' 10" goalkeeper.

:D

Not sure whether he actually did make it over to Paraguay as I could never find mention of him on the Club Libertad web site, so if anyone can confirm that he was over there I'll add him to the former YA list.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Not sure if this was mentioned already, but Colin Vint was transfered from Bray Wanderers to SV Henstedt-Rhen in Germany.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's definitely news. Thanks for the tip.

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Hey DAve....trying to help administer the USA Men forum draft....

Which players on your list have declared their allegaince to other national teams or have told the US no?

Obviously Rossi....

I thought there was a kid in Mexico who is young and hasn't officially declared but it looks like he is going to be on the Mexican NT?

Anyone else?

Thanks in advance

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  10. sammy87

sammy87 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    CT
    I ran through the database on Football Manager 2007. Here is a list of all players with USA listed as their first nationality(i was unable to search based on other nationalities) and who are not on the list in the first post.

Jan Barreau Fontenay-Le-Comte(France)
    David Bulow Dungannon(N Ireland)
    Jason Cudjoe Caledonia AIA(Trinidad and Tobago)
    Stephen David Caledonia AIA(Trinidad and Tobago)
    Andrea de Pietro Biaschesi (Swiss)
    Bryan Gerzicich Arsenal de Sarandi(Argentina)
    Patrick Gorgue Club Albion(Hong Kong)
    Kurt Hove Juventud Banquena(Belize)
    Schafer Joseph Homentmen(Lebanon)
    Nick Lenicheck Fot(Hungary)
    David Lent Astra(Romania)
    Mario Longo Crumlin Utd(Ireland)
    Steve Loverso Cwmbran(Wales)
    Justin Lucas Canterbury Utd(New Zealand)
    Geoff Miles Stjarnan(Iceland)
    Russell Payne Crumlin Utd(Ireland)
    Asa Pepia Hollviken(Sweden)
    Robert Orum Santa Rosa(Brazil)
    PJ Scheufele Larne(N Ireland)
    Timothy Smith Hugnin(Iceland)
    Tomas Szczypiorski Carrick(N Ireland)
    Peter Thomas Bane(Serbia)
    Nick Van Sicklen Canterbury Utd(New Zealand)
    DaVID White Santa Clara(El Salvador)
    Ken Williams Kathmandu Club(Nepal)
    Leslie Yankson Lucky Mile(Hong Kong)

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    No problem. Here's an article, btw: http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2006/12/23/658280.html (says he signed a 18 months deal). They misspell his name, but unless Bray had another American named Colin Yint I think it's save to say that it's the same player ;).

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks! I'm starting to go through these now.

Some of them we are already tracking (or trying to track). Others are old names -- guys that are back in the States or retired or whatever.

I will mention David Lent. He exists and is in Romania but it appears to be some kind of one-year pay-to-play program so I probably won't add him to the list.

Will keep looking at the other new names.

Always nice to see mention of Kenneth Williams who along with Nick Wagner, JCE, Janica Kostelic and the other guy from Nepal whose name eludes me will always have a special place in the annals of Yanks Abroad.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There is a Timothy Smith at Huginn in Iceland. No idea if he's a Yank.

14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Just wanted to mention that Huginn is an awesome club name.

15. Becks07

Becks07 New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    England!
  16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  18. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I been meaning to ask, is pay-to-play where you actually pay a club to practice and play with them because if it is, that's ridiculous.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't know where you're from, and you may be right, but for most Americans that's the best option (whether they are paying an overseas club or an American youth club) at the moment. There just aren't that many organizations making money in soccer here for anything else to make sense. Down the road it'll change.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A player named Sergio Van Kanten, who was born in Florida in 1984 and holds a European (Dutch) passport, appears to have played for several overseas clubs perhaps including...

Middlesborough
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=253904&root=england&cc=5901

Roeselare (Belgium)
    http://www.sport.be/nl/jupilerleague/0506/nieuws/article.html?Article_ID=113200&comp=2304

Sopron (Hungary)
    http://www.matavfcsopron.hu/cgi-bin/index.php?hlid=454

Kortrijk (Belgium)
    http://www.sport25.be/viewtopic.php?t=19302&sid=f4953a1c28c93ba06f9802964c68e4e3

And maybe some others...

21. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    By my count, 9 Americans were in Premiership starting lineups today. Is that a record?

22. AbsolutGold

AbsolutGold New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Happy Valley
    Word I am hearing is Simon Omekanda formerly of Penn State and recent draft pick of Chicago Fire will get an offer from Swedish team IFK Norrkoping. He was on trial with them all this week and in scrimmage he scored twice and the coaches had seen him at the MLS combine so they were already confident bringing him in on trial. I expect something will come of this early next week.

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are correct. Here's the write-up of the game:

http://www.ifknorrkoping.se/