Full of Bologna: Giuseppe Rossi back in Série A

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Mar 20, 2013.

1. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Still time to recover and make the World Cup squad. Or maybe sign with the Cosmos if they're still around.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Thats absurd. People here, the real fans, are either indifferent to him or hope he fails. Why would he be beloved? As Michael said to Fredo "you are dead to me now".

adi21 repped this.
  3. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy Haisley is literally the worst.

Why are we stuck so often having to read either a Doyle or a Haisley. Would love more Parchmans.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because good writers tend to write about more popular sports/subjects that will allow them to be paid more.

5. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I only thought I was being rhetorical.

6. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Citation needed.

7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Beloved by that certain type of U.S. fan who loathes U.S. soccer, maybe. You get a few of those on Deadspin in particular I've noticed. I remember seeing some highlight there of an amateurishly low level Italian club game played in a mud pit with the obligatory comment about how "that touch was better than any I've ever seen from a U.S. international." Embarrassing.

adi21 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm disappointed that he chose Italy over the USA but he never led us on. I believe since age 12 he was at Parma and involved with Italian youth teams. So he made his choice very early on. Pretty remarkable that for a short period he was a starter for the former World Champions (post 06).

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    But then again, it does not concern us. I would not expect Germans to follow JAB's career with much interest.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well yes but it's still remarkable.

I have no ill will and I can't understand those who still do. The guy has suffered so many injuries over time and missed out on every tournament for Italy. Let the healing begin.

(TxT) repped this.
  11. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But, the Germans have plenty of CBs on John Anthony Brooks level. Until Pulisic we really did not produce a player on the level Rossi was for a few seasons. Same reason why Canadian paid attention to Owen Hargreaves' career or why Australians followed Christian Vieri's career.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    are those 2 nations still grieving over the decisions those 2 players made?

Though Rossi hasn't had a career like those 2.

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i hate it when i open an article and then see it's one of his. i hate giving that guy unintentional pageviews.

ArsenalMetro and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i wonder what's next for the guy

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have ill will. ;)

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I can understand Bruce. Had he played for you in 06, you wouldn't have gotten fired, but you gotta move on. :p

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for a new job:

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With those knees he might be looking for a while. Is MLS even an option at this point? I know NYRB were rumored to be interested but with is injuries I could see that interest drying up. Shame. When healthy he is a wonderful, dynamic player that could thrive in MLS

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really depends on the money he would be looking for. If he's trying to match what he has been offered in the past, probably not.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could see him give Serie A one more go, especially with say, newly promoted Hellas Verona

21. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Injuries suck, man. He was always such a joy to watch. Would love to see him in MLS.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm neither indifferent to him, nor did I ever hope he failed. And I felt that anyone who did was, well... incomprehensible.

Rossi was a very special player. Injuries probably kept him from reaching full peak.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    speaks for itself.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    must not have seen him the time he scored on the usa in confed cup and celebrated like he won the world cup.

adi21, dark knight and ttrevett repped this.
  25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you not comprehend someone feeling less than generous after watching his reaction to scoring against us? All we did was offer him the opportunity to play for us, and he turned us down. We were spurned suitors, and felt aggrieved but I don't think at that time there was a ton of haters out there beating the drum with anti-Rossi sentiment. But his reaction when he scored against us was a bit much.

I'm pretty neutral on the guy. I wish he would have chosen to play for the land of his birth, but understand the decision to play for the land of his forefathers. I don't hold ill will for the decision, but can understand those that hold a bit of ill will regarding the celebration.

I wish him Godspeed in his recovery. I think this last injury might be tough to overcome at his age, but would welcome him at my local club if he makes it back to full fitness. I would never pay him a guaranteed salary, but would make it an incentive laden deal.

adi21 repped this.