Giovinco

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TOFC/ARSENAL, Jan 18, 2015.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Before reading that article I wasn't sure, mostly because his numbers this year are down from last.

After reading it - I'm thinking yeah - maybe this means another MVP.

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm guessing no. His headline goals-scored number isn't high enough this year.

(Does the MVP include playoff performance? I'm assuming no but, if it does, he could still pull it out with a spectacular playoff showing.)

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just a thought but does the MVP of the regular season really mean all that much? If anything, I'd think it would be better if he were MVP of the playoffs which matters most.

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    based on the first two matches (very small sample size) Bradley should be a lock for playoff MVP....there were times on Sunday where I really thought there were two of him out there.

5. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I don't think playoff performance is included for MVP but I'm certain it is for the MLS ESPY award.

6. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Bradley or Mancosu from Montreal.

There has been interest shown lately for Bradley from European teams. Expect that to escalate due to his performances lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on loan this January.

7. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would a European quad be will to pay Giovinco or Bradley what they are currently making?

Giovinco top 2016 MLS salary list -

9. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Translated to pounds per week at today's exchange rate...Seba's number translates to £110k/week....not a huge wage for EPL standards (particularly if someone is scoring goals).....for reference sake, when Defoe returned to England he signed a £80k/week deal with Sunderland....doubt he returned in as good a form as Giovinco and that deal was before the new/huge TV deal kicked in...wages have only gone up since then. A player making +/- what Giovinco makes is Wilfred Bony....so decide for yourself if Seba could make +/- what he makes here.

That said, transfer dollars are easier to get......so (not that I am expecting either player to be sold) the way it would likely work is that team X would pay something in the order of £20MM for the player.....Toronto would use, say, 25% of that to buy down the contract so that the player would have an upfront cash payment that would soften the blow of accepting a pay cut to, say, £80k/week.

Again, not suggesting or thinking that either is going to be sold (although Bradley seems more likely than Giovinco....heard some nasty speculation that if Bradley is sold the #10 they would look at is Wayne Rooney) but their salaries are not the impediment that some have you believe.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yeah and I know that in most European clubs, players are given money under the table and even living expenses that probably aren't given in MLS.

By the way, why did Defoe leave after only 8 months?

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bear in mind, on the Canadian scale Toronto is consistently the favoured child. What we're saying about this is what the rest of Canada says about us all the time.

17. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    He was more valuable to TFC than Villa was to NYCFC. So this was a handout to the NY market basically.

18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    My personal favorite Giovinco video. It's based on his 2015 season. The best season for a player in MLS history.

19. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    The new MLS free-kick king.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If David Villa can get picked by spain for the Italy match, I'm sure Giovinco can be picked by Italy for the Spain game....

21. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    He didn't get called. At this point, Insigne and Eder are better options.

22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Eder has got to go, but I agree that Giovinco would basically be competing with Insigne for a spot.

23. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Cool article. Another rags to riches story.