Giovanni Trapattoni: New Ireland manager - confirmed

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by SebastianK, Feb 4, 2008.

1. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks like it's official, we've hired old Trap: for some reason I can only post part of the article:

Trapattoni has recently been linked with the vacent Republic of Ireland manegerial job. According to RTE Trapattoni will be unveiled as the new Republic supremo following a meeting of the FAI's board of management on Sunday 3rd February. The meeting is due to start at 6.30 pm. Trapattoni's imminent appointment has also fuelled speculation that Liam Brady who speaks Italian fluently will be named as assistant to the Italian veteran. The pair worked together for two successful seasons at Juventus between 1980 and 1982, with the Turin club winning Serie A titles on each occasion. The Dubliner would be regarded as a very welcome addition to the new team with the FAI and his knowledge of Italian would be a help given Trapattoni speaks very little English.

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: It's Trapattoni!!!

Oh no it's not....

A spokesman for Trapattoni told the newspaper: “There has not been any contact whatsoever with the Irish FA. This idea that Trap is due in Dublin over the weekend is nonsense. You will find him in Austria with his club Salzburg.

“Where have all these rumours come from? From here it looks as if the people inside the FAI have been using this speculation as a way of pursuing their own position for their own tactics.

“Stealing off to a meeting behind his employers’ backs is not Trap’s way of doing business. It’s complete nonsense and he’s very angry at the way his name has been bandied about.”

3. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Well Christ. Don't I feel like a foolish bunzer....

4. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004

Catenaccio ...... here we come.......it may work at club level but has failed miserably at International level
    --------------------------------------------------
    GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI will today put pen to paper on the deal that will see him officially announced as Ireland manager tomorrow afternoon.

The 68-year-old will meet FAI chief executive John Delaney in Salzburg and hammer out the final details of his contract but has already given a verbal agreement that he will officially take over from Steve Staunton in May.
    Trapattoni intends to bring ex-international Claudio Gentile with him as assistant boss and Fausto Rossi as fitness coach with the package set to cost the FAI over €2m per year with a significant bonus element based on World Cup qualification also included in the terms.
    Thrilled
    Delaney refused to refer to Trapattoni specifically by name yesterday when speaking at an FAI event in Dublin but said that Don Givens -- known to be in Salzburg along with fellow selection panel members Don Howe and Ray Houghton -- had rang him on Sunday night to inform him that a board of management meeting could be called for tomorrow at which the name of the new manager would be put forward 113 days after the dismissal of Staunton.
    "I was thrilled last night when Don rang me to say we're getting somewhere in terms of the appointment and would we consider holding a board meeting," said Delaney.
    "There's going to be details around the package that have to be worked through but I've a good understanding of what that is. I'm happy that on Wednesday we'll be able to announce the manager."
    It's understood that the final details that need to be ironed out involve the absolute confirmation on a financial package including his backroom staff that Trapattoni has already informally agreed to and discussions between Delaney and Red Bull Salzburg about the nature of the pre-contract agreement that he will sign.
    Their league season finishes on April 26 and Trapattoni is expected to begin Ireland duties after April 30 in the build-up to the friendly international with Serbia on May 24.
    Depending on his wishes, another friendly or extended training camp will take place in or around that date. Delaney has confirmed that there will now be no match in March and no get-together is planned either with Trapattoni's unavailability clearly the issue.
    "We'll announce the manager first and after that we'll give the details around the starting date and all of that," stated Delaney as he attempted to be cagey.
    "There's bits and pieces to be done but I'm confident that on Wednesday night it'll be done. We will keep the contractual details confidential between the employee and the employer but on Wednesday we'll be able to give an outline."
    In Italy, the developments have been greeted with shock and there were suggestions that the Irish had jumped the gun, based on a reluctance to confirm anything from the Trapattoni camp, but a source close to the process said that this was due to a promise of confidentiality prior to everything being sorted out with Red Bull Salzburg.
    Liam Brady will be a part of the new team although the extent of his involvement remains unclear.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

It'll work better than Stauntonaccio or Kerraccio

6. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

He's a good manager who will know how to bring the hard work ethic back to your NT. Should be interesting when we meet up.

7. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Confirmed on Salzburg's website. Discuss here - I've closed the speculation thread.

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I'm glad we dont' have Stan anymore.
    I'm glad we did not hire Venebles/Houlier/O'Leary/Davies/McCarthy etc.

He sure has a lot of experience:

Playing:
    1959-1971 AC Milan
    1971-1972 Varese

Manager:
    1974 AC Milan
    1975-1975 AC Milan
    1976-1986 Juventus
    1986-1991 Internazionale
    1991-1994 Juventus
    1994-1995 FC Bayern Munich
    1995-1996 Cagliari
    1996-1998 FC Bayern Munich
    1998-2000 Fiorentina
    2000-2004 Italy
    2004-2005 SL Benfica
    2005-2006 VfB Stuttgart
    2006-2008 Red Bull Salzburg

Won:
    AC Milan
    Coppa Italia: Runner-up: 1974–75

Juventus
    Serie A: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986 Runners-up: 1980, 1983, 1992, 1994
    Coppa Italia: 1979, 1983 Runners-up: 1992
    European Cup: 1985 Runners-up: 1983
    Cup Winners' Cup: 1984
    UEFA Cup : 1977, 1993
    European Super Cup: 1984
    Intercontinental Cup: 1985

Internazionale
    Serie A : 1988–89
    UEFA Cup: 1990–91

FC Bayern Munich
    Bundesliga: 1996–97 Runners-up: 1997–98
    German Cup: 1997–98

AC Fiorentina
    Coppa Italia Runners-up: 1998–99

SL Benfica
    SuperLiga: 2004–05
    Taça de Portugal Runners-up: 2004–05.

FC Red Bull Salzburg
    T-Mobile Bundesliga: 2006–07

9. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Nice style, calling his own conference before the FAI's.

10. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    YES fcukin YES!!!!!!!!!! :D

11. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    very happy with the appointment :)

however once again the f.a.i. have made a mess of the whole proceedings.
    first we were told they needed time for their panel to source out the best manager they could possibly get.
    then today Delaney stated that it was only after Denis O'Brien put up half of the new manager's wages that....
    DISPITE THE FACT THEY MADE A PROFIT OF 30 MILLION LAST YEAR !!!!!

i mean come on,they had set a salary cap of 1 million for two years,until mr o'Brien stepped in. (which also makes them look like a boy with cap in hand looking for hand outs i.m.o.)

so the truth of the matter being,they really were'nt looking for a top manager to begin with,just another cheap one.....

once again very happy with mr Trapattoni,and thank you mr O'Brien for sorting out another potential mess on the f.a.i.'s parts

Delaney press conferance

12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

if Italy manager Trap shows up they are going to have problems. His defensive style works sometimes and gets results, but sometimes he gets too defensive (like taking off a striker in the 60th minute and replacing him with a defender because you are up 1-0) and that kills him. I wonder if he learned from his mistakes (WC 2002, Euro 2004).

13. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Trap was bad for Italy because he had the whole team working for Totti. Ireland doesn't have any of those kind of players which works out better for Trap because he gets to use a more classic 4-3-2-1 where the mids are responsible for bulldozing anyone who walks in their path.

Mark my words: Ireland is going to make some serious noise for the next world cup qualifying.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

I don't care if he messes up in a World Cup or Euro as long as he gets us there!
    (Only half-kidding).

Watching a World Cup with two teams you care passionately about is so much better than watching one, especially when they get steamrolled.

2002 Was fantastic for me (and other US-Irish fans) cuz we had two teams that played well.

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Oh and I've been hoping for a foreign manager the whole time.

A real newcomer to the scene.

And he's a good one too!

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm very, very sceptical about the decision to install Trap as new manager (although I really like and respect the person Giovanni Trapattoni) ... but ok, let's wait up and see what happens. Maybe resp. hopefully I'll be wrong...

17. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suprisingly great coup from the FAI. I was resigned to some English league retread and then they come up with a guy that has coached a serious footballing nation at a World Cup who also has a great club resume.

18. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Cassano, you and I both know we were playing against 12 men in 2002. We had one of the best squads but you can't beat paid refs no matter how hard you try. 2004 was his fault. In 2002 we were in a tough group and scored 4 goals in 3 games, which was the same for Mexico I believe.

I don't think Trap can do much worse in this situation, no offense to Ireland. It's only UP from here on out!

19. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Staunton said when he took the job: "we are in a four year building process, our aim is to qualify for South Africa in 2010, we'd like to qualify for Euro 2008 but it's gonna be tough, remember this is a four year plan"

Trapp says : "we will qualify for South Africa in 2010, top of the group"

bring on the qualifiers! It's great that the FAI went with an outsider this time around. The players must be buzzin', especially guys like Stephen Hunt & Darryl Murphy. Trapp will come in with no pre-conceived notions like "if Duff is fit he has to play, the Irish people expect it". I believe all the players are on a clean slate and are now gonna have to stake their claim for a spot in Trapps starting line up...gwan the boys in green...Tiocfaidh ár lá (and hopefully that's in 2010).

20. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
  21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/trapattonig.html

:D

Should have hired this guy ages ago!

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

True, we were very unlucky in 2002, but he still made some mistakes, and our midfield was filled with all defensive players (Tommasi, Zanetti, Di Biagio, Gattuso, Di Livio, etc).

anyway sorry for talking about this in the Ireland forum. :eek:

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

There is not that much action in here so don't feel bad!

Any talk about Trappatoni is interesting.

24. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well some curious facts about Trapattoni:

1) He always has a bottle of Holy Water with him on the bench, and sometimes he has rosary beads, which he gets from his sister, who is a nun.

2) To get a player's attention he whistles with two fingers in his mouth and it's really loud. You can hear it on TV sometimes.

He is well known for this outburst in broken German while he was Bayern Munich during a press conference. This is the video with subtitles in english:

[youtube]Bqp64q7kHmw[/youtube]

25. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Oh dear, Damien Duff is in for a bit of a shock methinks.