They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    maybe next years champions league, Haaland is cup-tied for this one.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Promote him! Promote him!

sXeWesley and Gacm32 repped this.
  3. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They changed that rule.

4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Paco looks like he’s on his way out as he presumably doesn’t want to play second fiddle to Halaand. There’s also rumors that Brunn Larsen could get sold this window. Also, Delaney’s injury has seemed to push Brandt into an 8 role, where he’s been fantastic.

5. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Annnnnd a thread title... Ding ding ding!

Pl@ymaker and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Does anyone have translated quotes from Favre after the game? Saw on Twitter he was talking up Gio and could hardly control himself.

This is a pretty ridiculous rise for him. Just being with the first team/on the bench is remarkable for a 17 year old who has been abroad for what, a season or half a season?

Not the thread for it, but he needs to be with USNT from now on, and likely starting.

USSoccerNova and dams repped this.
  8. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done.

ShortyMac, Pegasus, chad and 8 others repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yes, let the joyous news be spread, at last is promoted Gio's thread!

chad and sXeWesley repped this.
  11. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow today has been a great day! I’m just glad I have another reason to watch BVB again

taylor repped this.
  12. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I'm excited. This is Dortmund's brand though. I think based on the winter break there was always going to be a priority to make sure he became the "youngest" American player to debut in the Bundesliga. Dortmund probably feels like Chelsea paid a bit of an American tax and I think they are eager to try and build Reyna up to be better than Pulisic.

That being said, just because the door is opening a little easier doesn't mean that it's easy to walk through and get the next door opened for you. Reyna looked good. This is a different Dortmund team that Reyna is walking into than what Pulisic had.

Reus and Gotze are years older and will eventually be phased out. Obviously Reus has been really good this year, but at 30 with his injury history they have to have capable backup options. They finally have their first pure goal scorer since Auba left. The midfield is more solid. Sancho is about to make like Dembele/Pulisic. So there is an opportunity to be the player that Dortmund is grooming for a big sale along with Haaland. Brandt and Hazard are obviously the biggest roadblocks if he's going to be playing on the wing, but it just feels like they see him moving centrally? I don't know, we're going to need to see him play more at the Bundesliga level, because he really does play a lot differently when surrounded with better teammates.

I think being as good as they were at the youth level him and Pulisic would oftentimes try and be the ones making all the opportunities, maybe a light version of hero ball. Reyna seems to be better at fitting in to a team than Pulisic was at the same age.

largegarlic repped this.
  13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Pulisic actually played similarly within the team when he first came up.

The heroball/1:1 came a bit later, when Reus got hurt and Dortmund lacked in offensive options after Tuchel left.

Reyna looked like he fit; it will be interesting to see if and when he starts to assert some more of that one on one creativity.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Proceeds to not put name in twitter post. :)

Baysider, UniversalAdvice, ielag and 3 others repped this.
  16. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Who plays the CAM currently for the US team. I am drawing a blank completely.

CAM is going to be a major position of need seeon for Dortmund with Goetze walking soon. I cant see them resigning him as they already offered a pay cut and he said no.

Being Reus understudy wouldnt be a bad thing but Marco hasnt been his best this year as up front they havnt been dangerous with Paco struggling for time and the forward being a revolving door. If Haaland plays like today consistently (which cant be possible given his three goals, but I mean more of his decisiveness and creativity and ability to get open in space), then I think we see more of the old Reus.

This team could light it up if it wasnt for a moron of a manager who refuses to play an attacking/pressing style until his team is down. He has the talent of a league winning team playing teams battling for relegation like he has no undestanding of his teams talent.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure that’s not a picture of his dad?

gogorath repped this.
  19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1069 Dirt McGirt, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Is it just me or is this so over the top that's kinda of funny?

onefineesq, soonertony and Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Love YA promotions!

21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    With Gio in, what BVB player are we supposed to demonize now?

It's my favorite YA tradition.

22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we go back to hating Sancho, or is that so last decade?

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I guess we can allow that, but only if criticism of Sancho is preceded by an interminable discussion as to whether we're ending an old decade or beginning a new one.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Pretty much the only quote from a few articles...

”We also played with Gio Reyna. It was very good. The first time he played here, at 17, that’s good. A 17-year-old, a 19-year-old, I think that’s good,” said Lucien Favre, according to Sky Switzerland.

https://www.fearthewall.com/2020/1/...vre-impressed-by-erling-haaland-and-gio-reyna

yurch10, UniversalAdvice and Scotty repped this.