They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I get the worm part, but burner? I mean, worms had time to dodge that ball.

PalmettoSpur and dougtee repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    gio off

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number 2:

1204442069248495622 is not a valid tweet id

Gacm32, Winoman, Scotty and 5 others repped this.
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    He definitely should be with the 1st team. He's too big and strong for the U19s. He'll have to go through a long period of adjustment, and will probably not see many minutes (even in blow outs), but if he's able to meet the coaches' developmental markers he could start seeing decent minutes next season.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Future is bright on both sides of the Atlantic!!

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And the Atlantic is rising! :)

russ repped this.
  7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dortmund have been linked with Haaland. Reyna and him would add quite a bit of size to Dortmunds front line. Paco and Mario as opposed to Gio and Haaland? Years of Bund titles.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #783 ielag, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Some people on here acting like Dortmund has no idea how to integrate youth players. A player who couldn’t play his 1st official match at any level in Germany until 4 months ago.

Gacm32 and gogorath repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Four months?!?!?!? What's taking so long?????? It's clear they don't know what they're doing.

sXeWesley, yurch10, SCSAutism and 6 others repped this.
  10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I hope he moves to the Netherlands.

Joke.

Deeneaus, BostonRed and largegarlic repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy ****! I didn't know he had two assists as well. 2 goals and 2 assists in a 5-1 victory? Just wow. As a matter of fact, his assists were more impressive than his goals.... the 1st one was a thing of beauty. Not sure if it was already posted... but here is a linky to all of the highlights:

It is pretty clear that Reyna needs to be promoted somewhere... he is already too good and big for a U19 league. It really seems like he and Indiana have the best shot at seeing 1st team minutes in the 2nd half of the season. <crossing-fingers>

EDIT... He could have had another goal and assist in this one too.

12. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love how the announcer is so disappointed when Prag finally scores. Gio is looking good. But, moving to the big leagues is a night and day difference from this stuff.

13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. He often looks like a man among boys... which is pretty cool since he just turned 17. But if there is a team that would be perfect for him to get 1st team starts with it would be Dortmund as they have a ton of attacking options and generally score a lot against lower level Bundesliga teams.

14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to see Reyna playing in support of Reus.

15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    No Reyna in the first team 18. Hoping he trains with the first team over the break.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it was because he was out this week with the U19s. Pretty sure he'll be back training with the first team again.

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been another great game for a debut. Two weeks in a row now Dortmund have looked like they are playing a training exercise.... the opposing D's these last two games have been a total joke. Sitters galore. I am eager to see how Sancho plays in the EPL because it will not be nearly this easy. Hazard had a goal today where the entire right side of the final 3rd was empty and he dribbled uncontested to the 18 only to strike it hard almost directly at the keeper and... the keeper lets it thru. Would have loved to see Reyna get a crack at one of these terrible Ds. Seems like kind of a long-shot at any legit minutes however unless Dortmund unloads a piece or two during the winter window.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1206264759093530625 is not a valid tweet id

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio doesn't seem nearly as quick as CP... but I can see why they would say he could be a more complete footballer. His size is legit and should allow him to excel in tight spaces and handle the grind of a full schedule. He probably has a better shot and may be an even better passer. High praise indeed. Probably won't be on the bench today considering the opponent... but he will likely train with the big boys this winter and we might see him get 1st team minutes early in 2020. <crossing-fingers>

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shame that Gio isn't in the squad for this Leipzig match today, because the atmosphere in Dortmund is even more electric than usual.

21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now BVB has too many attackers. We're talking about Götze being surplus to requirements, playing Thorgan Hazard at false 9, and moving Brandt to CM to make room for everyone. OK to be patient with Gio's migration to the senior team - getting minutes with the U23 squad usually means you're bound for a 2. Bundesliga career. Things will change with the probable departures of Sancho and Götze.

22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    He can actually shoot. So he’s ahead of pulisic in that regard.

Gacm32 repped this.
  23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have changed my tune... I was thinking the same thing. Earlier in the season when the offense looked off I thought he had a decent shot... now?... not so much. Not sure of a player with his type of pedigree that Dortmund has loaned out at his age... but I am no BVB historian. It just seems like he is ready to face stiffer competition and I don't want him playing youth football for the rest of the season. At this point, I don't see how he finds a slot in the 2nd half without injuries creeping in. I hope I am wrong and he gets some minutes in early 2020.

24. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    BVB does have a bevy of attackers, but there could be movement this winter. Brunn Larsen has only played 100ish minutes all season, so presumably he’ll try to force a move. Gotze is a free agent in summer, but maybe BVB will sell/let him go earlier than that? Plus, Reus has been pretty healthy this season , which means he’s due to get injured anyday now.

WheezingUSASupport and largegarlic repped this.