They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    yeah that makes perfect sense, but i was just saying that the city brass probably wouldve preferred claudio have gio serve as their developmental guinea pig

2. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that’s needed. Joe would have been the backup RB this year, except the injury thing. So we got stuck with deadline day crap.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    NYRB and NYCFC have the same territory, just like the Galaxy and LAFC.

There’s kids from the NY side in the NYRB academy. It’s just that NYCFC is an easier commute for families on that side and Matt Pilkington is perhaps the best academy director in the country.

4. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    taylor and mace repped this.
  5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    kba4life1 and SloterHaus repped this.
  6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  8. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #658 gnk, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Schalke win 4-0. Reyna appears to have started in central midfield. Hoppe started but didn’t bag any of Schalke’s goals.

Pl@ymaker, mace and autobus39 repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    “He’s more talented than pulisic so we are being extra careful to make sure he doesnt get a big ego”

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is saying a lot.... I am eager to see how he does in the rest of the U17 WC. Not the best of starts for the young guys.

12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch the 0-0 draw against Japan? Quite a dismal showing IMO... and likely results in the USA getting ousted in the opening round. So why in this thread? "Gio" better than Pulisic? I don't see that at all. 1st, he didn't even start the Japan Game... he came on for an injured Pepe early in the 2nd half. Why is that important? He was the captain for the 1st match and then doesn't even start in the 2nd? Not good. Getting back to his play in this game.... He was obviously asked to play a position he may not be best suited for... but he didn't look quick at all. How can you be compared to CP when you don't have half the pace? As a matter of fact... neither does Pepe. Where is the speed? Each of these guys could grow into great players... but the raw talent doesn't look comparable w/ CP.

EDIT- BTW... the left winger for the US U17 was absolutely terrible in the Japan Game. Jasson is a midfielder for the NYFC youth team and he gave the ball away on the regular.

taylor repped this.
  13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Talent in soccer is more than just speed. I wouldn't judge him on a U-17 WC game. The guys at Dortmund are probably in the best position to make a comparison.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it is not all about speed... but it is very difficult to be an elite attacking player w/o it. Again, Gio was not playing his normal position... and his supporting cast left a lot to be desired. So I don't want to judge him too harshly... was just hoping that he would provide a touch of class to win this game when he came and it didn't happen. He did provide a couple of great services on CK/PKs that left open headers for his teammates but each were woefully inadequate and didn't even test the keeper. US could have had 2 or 3 goals on uncontested headers. At any rate... I have not seen a ton of Gio live... just highlight videos... but saying he could be better than CP seems like a stretch at this point as he is not nearly as explosive. That is just an eye test thing for me... but who knows?... maybe he becomes world-class based on his technical skill and vision. <crossing-fingers>

15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    It’s a bit too early to tell at this age let alone thinking his performance in one game fully represents how talented he is or not.

ebbro repped this.
  16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I also wouldn’t read too much into Gio not starting yesterday. My guess? Dortmund mandated that he not start all 3 games.

Gio was the last to join the team in Brazil due to playing against Schalke U19’s the Sunday before the WC started. Plus, BVB only let Sancho stay for the group stage 2 years ago, so there’s a history of them being fidgety about this tournament. Reyna is clearly our best offensive weapon, by far, so there logically is more to his benching than what meets the eye.

russ repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know think Dortmund would care enough at this point. It's not very likely he'll be on the bench for Dortmund's 1st team during the tourney or immediately subsequent, like happened w/ Sancho.

What would have been more than met the eye in that moment was rotating him out so he was saved for the last match which was more important for advancement, there was an argument between him and Wicky after the embarrassing loss leading to disciplinary action, and he's trying to negatively reinforce his over-dribbling for the future. Not that it would be justifiable regardless, but those both seem more likely reasons.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this tournament has been great for him in crystallizing what needs to happen. that moment against japan where he charitably led the counter and cynically went full hero ball showed why a kid with his physical gifts and need for further tactical development needs to play against men

22. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    #672 dams, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    I've never been crazy impressed with him during his U17 play. He's always looked good, and looked physically dominant (one of the few that could physically hang with Senegal), but he does look a tad selfish with the kids. The thing that really sold me on Reyna was watching him play with the first team on the BVB summer tour. Obviously they were just friendlies but I thought the 16 yo fit in seamlessly with those guys. Add the fact that he is American and will be marketed by BVB like Pulisic was, and he has the pedigree. I agree with you, he needs to start getting first team minutes by the spring to further his development and I think BVB agrees.

Sufjan Guzan and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Sancho, Hazard, Reus and Brandt all called up for International duty. Probably safe to assume Reyna will train with the first team over the break to help make up the numbers.

24. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how reliable the source but...

There are high hopes for Gio Reyna—son of former United States internationals Claudio Reyna and Danielle Egan Reyna—who joined Dortmund from New York City in July. In an example of the careful manner with which Dortmund ease their young players into first-team action, the 17-year-old attacking midfielder has been playing with the club's under-19s while he adapts to his new surroundings (and attempts to get to grips with the language) but is due to be promoted to the senior squad for their winter training camp in Marbella.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-plans-to-future-proof-their-transfer-tactics

Pretty sure Pulisic made his first team debut after getting promoted to the first team over the winter break in 05.

25. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, he really stagnated from the ages of 7 - 17 then ;)