They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do any superfans have U19 numbers comparing Reyna to Pulisic and Sargent through a similar number of games?

4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Transfermarkt shows Pulisic played 17 total u19 games for BVB, he had 8 goals and 8 assists.

taylor, Jazzy Altidore and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stats can be found here: https://us.soccerway.com/players/gio-reyna/497191/

doesn't tracks assists apparently h/e

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  7. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  8. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent never played with the U19s, he went straight to the U23s.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it could get interesting the next few weeks as far as his potential to set the record for the youngest player ever to play in the BL.

He's training w/ the first team, looked like he belonged in the preseason, Dortmund's attackers aren't lighting the world on fire lately, they have fixture congestion, and int'l duty. It wouldn't shock me to see him making benches or even making it off them.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yeah, but he’s going to the U17 World Cup in a few weeks, so that obviously blows up any chance at first team playing time at BVB.

I still say that winter is Reyna’s chance to break through. Brunn Larsen has played 35 total minutes in all comps this season, he can’t be pleased about that. I think he asks for a loan/sell in winter and then Reyna takes up his spot in reserve.

largegarlic and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Sancho play at the U17 World Cup for England and then was called back to play with Dortmund's first team?

don Lamb repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's playing for Dortmund at all ahead of the u17 WC, I imagine that would take it off the table. Would be bittersweet for Americans, but the primary purpose of that level is develop and identify future players for the senior level country and club, the latter of which he'd already be at.

I thought of Bruun Larsen. I think Reyna is better than him right now. The only issue would be he's never played cf AFAIK. So it's not a like for like.

13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yeah, maybe Reyna is better than JBL but who knows. Youth stats don’t mean everything, but JBL ripped up the U19 level, had over a goal/game

Gacm32 and twoolley repped this.
  14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    This has been in the back of my mind as well. Sancho played the group stage games before going back to Dortmund, even though I'm pretty sure he wasn't a first team regular at that point.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that Moukoko guy getting called up to the first team? He's pretty much a senior anyway in actual age and he has 15 goals in 7 games for the U19s.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [citation extremely needed]

Unless you're just being a racist twit.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell no. The German's wouldn't certify his birth date based on paperwork anomalies. Please don't label people based on incorrect snap judgements. While you used 'unless' as a way to denied you just attacked me, still disturbing. The kid's race never entered my mind, honestly. Your post was a jolt.

https://19vierundachtzig.com/2019/0...e-alt-ist-das-dortmunder-wunderkind-wirklich/

And one office did certify, but there are still other doubts:

https://www.sportbuzzer.de/artikel/behorde-bestatigt-so-alt-ist-bvb-wunderkind-moukoko/

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really bad on your part. Even if @mace didn't have grounds in his specific case, we know the culture in many African countries to not have reliable birth records because of poverty and/or being war torn allowing individuals to game the system. Intra-Africa, Morocco and Senegal filed age-cheat complaints surrounding the u-17 CAF championships. It's not an accusation that's ever made toward black players who were born in the U.S. or many other countries, huh. So race ain't got nothing to do with it.

And it's not being made blindly here. Cameroon is one of the countries that have had multiple age controversies. They are who Morocco accused in the aforementioned u-17 CAF championships. In Moukoko's specific case, he has the appearance and freakish production to the point it naturally leads one to raise suspicion. When he was supposedly 12 he had a pretty public relationship w/ an 18 year old girl, which I'm pretty sure is illegal in Germany, leading one to conclude he's not actually anywhere near close to his listed age.

19. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In seriousness, I was actually trying to compliment Moukoko on his consistent and pretty amazing output. If Reyna is practicing with the mens side I would assume Moukoko was also. Now, if he is older than 19 then he may not show as great against the mens side. The age reference was a joke about the history in the citations above and what sir duke stated.

Anyhoo... Reyna is on the UEFA CL roster for BVB. Pretty insanely cool!

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2020/clubs/club=52758/squad/

Namdynamo, Hobo, Pl@ymaker and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    No joke. This is a known problem in Africa, commonly cited by the mainstream press:

As well as by the African press, which frequently laments it:

The racist accusation is bunk.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Ghana -
    Thomas Flanigan.

Balerion repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an American-born player of African parents, Abuchi Obinwa, who apparently failed the test for the U17 WC in 2013, even though he had a US birth certificate.

23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Poor taste my man, poor taste

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ArsenalMetro is normally a good poster but he gets a little unhinged when he perceives things trending toward the political.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to see if he plays today in the Youth League U19 match against Slavia. The match is actually being broadcast at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Will be watching for him!

PalmettoSpur repped this.