They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, this kid is looking good good good.

bct81 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid as size, skills and even good looks. He is probably going to be one day the new poster-boy for the USMNT.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His goal made it 4:0 right before half. He had some other game-summary-worthy chances in the first half. He was subbed out in the 77th minute when it was 5:0.

4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    He even has some tools that Pulisic doesn’t have, that may end up making him a better final player. He has size, instincts, vision, and is an excellent ball striker. He has to work on his selfishness and I don’t have a good feel for his speed other than he is not a burner and not slow but I am really excited to see where he ends up. He could be our best player by the time all is said and done. Huge hill but his skill set is there.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's maybe been too unselfish with Dortmund's u-19's. Letting Moukoko be the star. And in the preseason he was fairly deferential when we know he can shake it.

On the youth side w/ both club and country that has ended up w/ Reyna running passed players as if they weren't there. His speed is beyond reproach. Doesn't have to use as much effort on each attempt as CP. He has an athletic bloodline. Moms is a runner.

Agree he could be the best American all time when said and done. I actually thought his rise would be more meteoric after preseason. But they seem to be wanting for him to work on some weaknesses, while still displaying with their actions and rhetoric they are quite high on him.

6. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50% success is pretty awesome, actually.

7. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He’s just respecting his elders.

All jokes aside, I’m extremely excited about him. I do think his future is more central, but I’m also not an expert.

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if Argentina come calling????????

9. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He is second generation on one side only. I could only guess this kid is about as American as Pulisic. Trying to compare him to first gen Hispanic-Americans does not fly.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m just trying to wind people up...

11. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Gio to Portugal

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    With Hyndman. Unless Hyndman switching to Macau.

13. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You lot have an odd sense of humour.

14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll just have get some advice from Dad.

15. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I think the bolded is an excellent point. I remember a poster remarking some number of years ago that CP had terribly inefficient mechanics, and in my eye he certainly trades short area quickness for efficiency and thus his energy management is not great. One of the things I have worried about for the past year and a half re CP is that he is basically an elite athlete but not an elite soccer player. What I mean by that is i have never seen a player with a quicker first 10 yards, it’s astounding. If you made him run a 10 yard split he may be one of the best in the world.

However his vision is mediocre, his passing is probably MLS level and he telegraphs his passes and shots. Such that he almost never gets shots off in the box, which is inconsistent with his short area quickness and ability to create space. He is additionally a very poor striker of the ball which is part of the reason that he is a bad passer. Other strengths, his first touch is elite and his mentality is top notch.

My point here is that where Pulisic is weak Reyna is strong, which is why I really really like him.

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Ah, love me some new pu$$y.

17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yeah I love prospects, so much potential so many possibilities. I like his ability but who knows could be garbage, could be athletically limited, could have a shit mentality, could get injured, etc. chance are remote that he ends up better than CP but I do like his strengths.

18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    My comment was more a comment on your Pulisic analysis. MLS level passing? :rolleyes:

uniteo repped this.
  19. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Huge fan of CP, but I don’t think he is a good passer or a good striker of the ball. His passes rarely put the recipient in a good position, the weight is not particularly good, and his range is extremely limited. Personally, I think that is what is holding him back. I would love to be proven wrong but I have watched every CP game since Dortmund and most twice and he is just not a good passer. Do you disagree?

20. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has size to ride off the tackle and he glides just like his pop used to do.

thank goodness he is at BVB.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Assuming that you are right, this is something that should be fixable at his age. If Wondo is retiring, CP should spend next summer with him and not EJ.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  22. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would blow my mind if Claudio or mom let that happen .... that would be an earthquake in the US soccer community.

23. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for you utes here ... go pull up videos of Claudio and you can see the similarities in style (not size because Gio is much bigger) in terms of ball control and gliding effortlessly down the field.

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    But I learned on BS that he just turned and passed backwards.

russ, Gacm32, uniteo and 2 others repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    His running style is very similar do his dad's, the both kind of skate across the surface, and often his turn on the ball uses the whole of the leg to control, which is useful to protect the ball, and in changing direction while maintaining possession.