Chicharito & Efrain Alvarez @ L.A. Laxatives

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Solid444, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Then you weren't paying attention. He was racking up around double digits in goals and assists for Villareal before his injuries became a problem (which if I remember currently happened even during his best season). He was about as good as Vela when both were hitting their top form a few years ago. Before then he was Real Santander's star player. They were a bottom feeder club but he was clearly above them, and that's another thing Aquino completely failed at when he was at Rayo Vallecano.

Excuse the annoying video but Aquino has never had Gio's technique. There's a reason why Gio got a chance to chase money and Aquino came running back to Liga MX as a European failure.

2. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Aquino's been in great form, there's not much in that video that impresses me after watching Aquino's highlights at Tigres:

Gio has better touch (no wonder he's more at ease with the chips over goalkeepers), but I've always found Aquino more of a dribbler and a good addition when trying to get the ball back. Aquino's strugles at the NT (from what I have seen) come more from the physical game, where Gio's stocky build helps him more. Aquino's easily pushed and tends to shy after some challenges.

Puma76, DaTruth and Richy_Rich repped this.
  3. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Aquino is just another player who performs well in and only in Mexico. Like Hermosillo, Zague, etc..

DaTruth and NCCFBALL repped this.
  4. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Aquino unlike those you listed actually had a good stint in Spain along with Gio.

5. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Define good.

He played second division ball with Villareal, he played ok and scored 1 goal in La Liga. He scored a whopping 0 goals with Rayo Vallecano, where he spent most of his time on the bench.

Gio being promoted from Barca's cantera to the first team alone is a bigger accomplishment than anything Aquino has ever done or will do.

DaTruth and NCCFBALL repped this.
  6. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He played second division ball for half a season and a contributor to moving up to first division. Then played with gio on a squad that was a consistent top 10 and also made it to Europa ball.

El Pipiripau repped this.
  7. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Villareal were quick to loan him out after his second season and then he rotted on the bench. Thus, his return to Mexico.

DankYummy and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  8. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    and Gio was a benchwarmer before moving to MLS, so?

9. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #2059 Award Tour, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Aquino couldn't hang after Villareal reached their current level. He was never considered important at that point.

Yeah, Gio was largely injured that season and Villarreal wasn't looking to break their run of good chemistry on his return deep into it. Aquino just sucked.

Gio is a good speed dribbler and has great ball control, Aquino has a few tricks that won't work consistently against higher level defenders. It might come down to size or just the level. Don't forget that Gio is a waaaay better shooter and passer as well.

I don't mind Aquino as an option but he plays a different role than Gio. He's all pace and work rate plus a few tricks. Good for disrupting a tired team but I'd rather have Lozano for that. Aquino would be a good option if we're trying to hold a lead and need a winger that can track back but his size will always be an issue.

That said, with our current single striker formation, I'd always have Corona, Vela, Gio and Lozano ahead of him.

10. R. Carrillo

R. Carrillo Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This Aquino v. Gio argument makes me sad (Trump mode off). Honestly, the reason we have problems with El Tri consistency is that at this stage, both (and may players we continuously argue about) are about 6.5 out of 10.

LGRod, NCCFBALL, DGreat and 1 other person repped this.
  11. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Take that back...remember WC 14???

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  12. monta

monta Member

Oct 19, 2009
    CA
    Club:
    Real Sociedad de Fútbol
    Aquino was pretty good for villareal. They loaned him because they brought in players they thought were better. He was far from a failure there.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Lukato, JRB92 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  13. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes, but that was when they were 2nd division

14. JRB92

JRB92 Member+

Sep 23, 2009
    He was very good in the first season Villarreal were promoted, maybe not starter quality, but an excellent rotational option for Marcelino. Balled out against Madrid too.

I agree that his last season with them wasn't good but he was far from a failure with Villarreal

Lukato and TGO repped this.
  15. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Aquino played 32 matches with Villarreal, not a sure starter but he was in the rotation, a solid squad player. The problem was he didn't have an EU passport, that's why they loaned him out. In Rayo, everything that could go wrong, when wrong... and even there he had a good number of matches played.

He definitely could hang in LaLiga.

16. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Before anyone mentions Aquino in the same sentence as Gio again...

Hdez.Marcos, SixKick, DankYummy and 6 others repped this.
  17. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    People are overhyping Gio here. Sure, he's more talented than Aquino but in the end, they'll both be remembered for their careers... and they both had pretty mediocre ones.

Aquino at 26 is playing day in day out for Tigres. Gio at 27 is playing day in day out for the Galaxy. Does Gio have the talent to stick it out in Europe? Sure. He didn't though and that's solely on him.

Gio may have helped the NT a lot in the past but he's no longer that great of a threat. His MLS play shows. Talent only matters if you take advantage of it. If you move to the Galaxy at 26 and settle for the easy cash, idc if you have the talent equivalent to that of Pele, you will always be mediocre in my eyes.

Tejano, Lukato and DankYummy repped this.
  18. iveman27

iveman27 Member+

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    Club América
    Thanks for admitting you have blinders on when looking at players

NCCFBALL, SixKick, DaTruth and 1 other person repped this.
  19. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    @iveman27 for the win. [emoji122]

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

20. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    By your standards, @Athazagoraphobia, Pele would be mediocre because he chose to remain in Santos throughout almost all his years of playing even though he had the talent to play in any of the best teams in Europe. No recontramames güey! [emoji57] [emoji58] [emoji52] [emoji107]

SoDamnSmooth and Sanchito repped this.
  21. SGuerrilla

SGuerrilla Member+

Sep 8, 2014
    en la cueva
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Brazilian league in the 60's couldn't have been that far off from Europe then.

Lukato, DankYummy and Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  22. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We'll never truly know, but I'm just saying it's stupid to just brand a player mediocre because of where he chooses to play.

23. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #2073 Mr. P Mosh, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Difference is that the Brazilian State leagues around that time were really strong. There were not as many foreigners in the European leagues back then so Brazil & Argentina could keep a lot of quality in the domestic leagues, the influx of quality Brazilians started in the 80s, but it was until the 90s when Brazil had most of its stars in Europe:

Mexico 70
    Brazil70.png

Germany 74
    Brazil74.png

Argentina 78
    Brazil78.png
    Spain 82
    Brazil82.png

Mexico 86
    Brazil86.png

Italy 90
    Brazil90.png

Tejano, Lukato, DankYummy and 3 others repped this.
  24. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We'll never know? Santos went into European tours often and they won most of their games IIRC.

Chivo, Lukato, DankYummy and 2 others repped this.
  25. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What the others said.

Blinders or not, Gio's loss in effectiveness with the NT coincides with his move to the MLS. As did Bradley's. There's no bias in admitting that competing regularly with much lower competition may lower your level.

Tejano, Lukato and DankYummy repped this.