They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe by your standards.

onefineesq and Gacm32 repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Definitely by mine.

3. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Reyna signing for nycfc would be more appealing if they had a usl team. He's already playing up w/ the U-19s and doing well

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I was going to stay out of this, but couldn’t help myself.... i wish I could agree, but where we are as a country, EH is very much still a prospect for us. 1)History, 2) reality of talent, and 3) our federation and professional league would disagree with you.
    1. The US has exactly 1 national team cmid who had broken out in a decent euro league and been a national team regular by 22.
    2. Bradley was the answer to the previous trivia question, average MLSers, and a few option u21 that are breaking into foreign clubs (mckennnie, Parks) or playing various roles in MLS (Adams)
    3. MLS views u24 as young and our federation is jamming tonight’s roster as being a youth movement down our throats. EH would be 5th youngest player on that team.
    There is still a decent probability that EH has a solid career in a top league, making him quite valuable to us and by definition a prospect. The fewer rules people make, the better off we would be.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That seems like a potential issue, but Gio could have the physical tools to make it in MLS at a young age. This would be a huge opportunity for nycfc/mls to develop a kid and sell after his 17th birthday. He could play centrally with the u19s and start by trying to get sub minutes out on the wing. USL may not be necessary and might be the best route anyway. BVB seemed to prefer trying to promote kids from youth teams to the first team. It is too big for some, especially those without the physical tools.

US soccer website has him at just 5-5, but thought he is/was going through a growth spurt. Anybody know his actual height?
    • DATE OF BIRTH
      November 13, 2002

• HEIGHT
      5-5

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cool. Let me know when he plays a meaningful game, as opposed to the other big 3 CMs we have that are 22 years old or younger. Not even counting Pulisic in that group.

Hyndman will have a Kljestan-level impact on the US, at best. That's not an endorsement.

Anyway, Reyna!

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yikes! Kljestan has 52 caps, 34 under Bob. It’ll be great if we have players that prevent Hyndman of reaching Kljestan’s level as I’d expect EH to be a significantly better player and more accomplished career. Hopefully, Gio is more skilled than his father and a better athlete than his mother.

I’m pretty excited about McKennie and Parks, but not sure who your third is. Injuries happen and McKennie is currently out with one to his knee. Parks is still very much a prospect who is only 15 months younger than Hyndman and has less than 100 first team minutes. The only u23 center mid prospect I’m writing off at this point is Jonathan Gonzalez.

8. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Watch this video beginning at 3:04.. It's Gio Reyna in training skinning a defender in 1 v 1. That little separation he can get in such a tight space is everything. This kid just has it and NYCFC would be stupid if they weren't throwing everything at him to go get him to sign.

Anderson11 repped this.
  9. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Totally agree with NYCFC fans wanting to sign Gio. FC Dallas went though some problems losing Weston McKennie, and has since signed a 15 and 16 year old and a 17 year old from the academy in order to make a return on their investment. Only one of those (Paxton Pomykal) is close to the first team and should play a few games this season in his natural #10 position after playing a few games as a backup in a wide role last year.

The point being that as long as a team can work in a few minutes in the first year, maybe in a wide position or second position with less pressure, it starts to make sense for Gio to sign for NYCFC so long as he can begin to break into a more central position in the following year. Still has plenty of time to go to Europe and make a name for himself.

I still prefer the European academy approach, but I am not an NYCFC fan....

punintended_13 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Since Gio already signed with an agent/Adidas, he's not going to the NCAAs.
    So from his point of view its train at NYCFC for money or train at NYCFC for free.
    Might as well earn a paycheck.

He doesn't have to sign a 5 year deal. He can sign a 2-3 year deal.
    If the right move to Europe come along than he can still make it, and NYCFC gets a little cash for their development efforts. What............we think Claudio won't sell him?

Also worth pointing out that if a club offers a homegrown deal to a player, and he turns it down, they still retain homegrown rights after the move abroad. For instance, how LA Galaxy retained Paul Arriola's rights. (Its why DCU had to trade for them from the Galaxy) FCD has retained Weston McKennie's rights should he ever want to move back to MLS. An example in the other direction is Emerson Hyndman. FCD do not "own" his homegrown rights as they never offered him a contract.

So it behooves MLS clubs to offer homegrown deals to players like Gio Reyna. Its a chip that can be cashed in later..................

TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Teams will only buy him if he plays for NYCFC. It would be great for the team/ league if they actually did this, but gotta go back ways for that precedent. I’d think Claudio would look out for him but could cause for an awkward situation.

The advantage is that the family has money and focus on what is best for his long term career and not $100K for a couple of years. If they think him joining a clubs youth set up now or next year would be best for his career, that is the route they will likely go.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pried a little about him potentially moving to Dortmund.

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this will be a good move. I’ve been watching a couple of his games recently. He makes some great plays, but he needs to get better at the average plays. Things like his movement off the ball, defensive pressure and tackling, and his first touch are all things he could use some work on. Plus, MLS isn’t at a point yet where it will challenge him to be the best he can be.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyone find the Reddit thread in question?

15. KUSA77

KUSA77 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Gacm32 repped this.
  17. KUSA77

KUSA77 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most everyone agrees he is the best player on our current u-17 team

18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are most of the good and bad plays from the match against Real Madrid in March. You can decide for yourself.

FWIW, I think Bello is the top prospect from this group as of now, but they all have some growing to do. I’m not as high on any of them as I was on Carleton or Durkin at the start of the last cycle, or Carleton and Sargent at the end of the last cycle.

But Reyna is definitely talented and could turn out to be the best player from this group.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Worth noting again that Reyna apparently has access to a Euro passport (Portugal), which is why he can potentially move prior to the age of 18. He won't have to wait until then like McKennie and Sargent did.

20. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Unsubstianted rumor that he is planning a move to Dortmund floating around reddit today.

21. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I've watched him a few times at the academy level as I am a big NYC fan. He is great, but he was not the best player on NYC in the matches I saw (Scally was better, and we have some player with a nae of Eastern European descent who's name escapes me that dominated in the central midfield). He probably has the highest ceiling though. He was a bit selfish but I guess that is too be expected at this level when you are an elite prospect.

22. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something else that may be relevant. I just checked and he's following Dortmund on Twitter. Maybe just a fan but who knows.

23. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like all American players and fans follow Dortmund...

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  24. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's set to join Borussia Dortmund in November.

U.S. Under-17 national team star Giovanni Reyna is set to join the Borussia Dortmund youth academy and will make the move to Germany once he turns 16 in November, sources have confirmed to Goal.

Gio Reyna cleared his path to Dortmund after securing a Portuguese passport earlier this year through his paternal grandmother, sources confirmed to Goal .

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/sour...-borussia-dortmund/1dhjhllndk0p51d6f5fbx0cze5

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    God grant he be more Christian Pulisic and less Junior Flores.