Gillingham Trial for A-Team Member's Son

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Roland got a look at Southend:

SOUTHEND United’s youth team chief Ricky Duncan loves it when a plan comes together.

And it did just that as Roland Benedict – son of A-Team star Dirk, who played “Face” – helped his Under-18 side to a 7-1 thrashing of a Queens Park Rangers Development XI at Boots and Laces.

And American Benedict, who featured on SKY Sports Soccer AM show on Saturday morning, impressed his new coach. ​

Link:
    http://www.echo-news.co.uk/theblues/3713577.Faceman___s_son_sees_Blues_as_real_A_Team/

I believe this is an action shot:

[​IMG]

Looks like his Southend trial runs through midweek or so.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto for Brazilian or Argentinian teenagers.

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Thats cool. I hope he does well. I'll have to find the soccer am show on the internet and see what they said. I think he may be wearing the Euro Vapors lol just a note.

Hopefully he gets on at Southend. If he did i'm assuming he would be part of their u18 side considering he played for them in the game.

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Any updates? Did he get on at Southend?

Edit: I've looked at a few of the recent u18 games and he hasn't been on the roster for any of them. I think his trial has ended. I read an article posted on the clubs website on Sept 29 and it said he had 7 days left.

5. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    Nearby Greys Athletic in the Conference could be looking for players

http://graysathletic.co.uk/

If he's good enough to get playing time at that level it might enhance his chances to progress.

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I think Roland is still at Southend. I haven't seen his name on any of the youth team reports but someone on a Southend forum said he read that Roland is living with 2 of the southend players.

I'll keep looking for more info.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I can confirm that Benedict is still on trial at Southend.

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Good for him. Pretty long trial though. Maybe there giving him a few months and then they will decide after that. Do you know if he is playing for the reserves? I've looked at the u18 match reports and he isn't listed in any of them since the QPR game.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this tidbit on a BBC message board. No idea of its validity, but seems reasonable.

10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Hasn't his dad lived or at least worked in the uk for a while? I think its 10 years to get citzenship. If his dad could qualify for citzenship would Roland be ok then with getting a wp?

I'm assuming they want to give him a permanent deal, thus why he needs a wp. While he is on trial he is allowed to play in reserve games I believe (this is per FM though lol).

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    A little snippet, not much though. Adam Barret a defender for the first team had lunch with Dirk at the training ground and wrote about it and the team.

He was with us because his son Roland is training with our youth team and it was just great. http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/3949257.Barrett_s_Banter__Face_visits_Southend_s_A_team/

I've checked the u18 game reports and he isn't listed. I'm assuming he is only training and not playing in any games.

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad there is finally some news on this kid. For a while I went to Southend's website regularly looking for info, but I finally gave up.

13. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Same here. I'm assuming there is a wp issue which keeps him from playing competitive matches. It's good to know he is still there though. I wonder if he could get a wp through his dad. I believe you have to live in the country for 10 years to become a citizen. I'm not sure about his dad and how long he lived/worked in the uk but it could be a possiblity.

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Southend equalized in the 92nd minute to tie Chelsea 1-1 in the FA cup.

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    From an article about his dad from May 14

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...euth-role/article-2155420-detail/article.html

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Well Man City does want to buy all the stars or almost stars by birth in the case of Roland ;)

18. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, there's a new A-team movie coming out. :D

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So where has he been playing the last few years???

And if he's 20 he can't be a 1991.

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Last I heard he was at Southend but couldn't sign because of wp issues that was back in 2008. I can't find any info other than that.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if he has ever really played at a decent professional level, but he has somehow landed a trial with Manchester City. Work permit issues have held him back before, but perhaps now that his dad is living and working in the UK it will give him an edge.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/143827

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    So it is true! I posted an article about his dad where he commented he got a man city trial but I didn't think it was true.

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am rooting for him to do well and make Man City or another team; however, I am highly skeptical that this is just a publicity stunt or a favor to his dad. But anyway, best of luck to the guy!

24. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Never say never, look at Anton Peterlin, but I'm skeptical as well especially given wp issues. However, we've seen lots of guys get trials with English clubs and have no way of getting a wp.

As for the wp issue I think his dad has lived/worked on and off in the UK for a while. I'm not sure if he is close to citizenship though. It sounds like Roland has been in the UK since 2008 (last we heard of any trials) but he's still 3 years away from citizenship.

25. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I speculated in the summer transfer thread that his dad working in England may help his chances of gaining a WP, but I am not sure how that would work.
    Even making the Man City reserve team would be a nice step in the right direction for him.