Getting Started As A Player Agent

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by PhillyFury, Oct 23, 2008.

1. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone out there with experience as a player agent? I've been living in the Czech Republic for over a decade now, know the soccer scene pretty well, and think it would be a good stepping stone for promising young American players. (I'd put the Czech league ahead of the Norwegian and Danish leagues, at least, and Americans seem to be heading to those leagues in droves) A few young Americans tried and failed at Sparta Prague, a young Canadian (Hainault spelling?) is playing in Most, now in the second division after a brief stay up top. (Hainault also spent a year at Sparta). The biggest barrier I see is the language. Other than that the standard of living isn't too bad here. I think this league is being overlooked by Americans looking to give it a shoot in Europe. I'd like to try to get promising players tryouts. Any advice??

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think the problem with the Czech Republic is that the wage levels are pretty low - compared to similar leagues like Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Portugal, Bundesliga II, Greece and so on - and likely to stay that way for the time being.

The East European clubs/leagues seem to be going more for the poorer CONCACAF nation players - the Carlos Costly types - hoping to turn them into legitimate pro prospects.

3. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general, I agree. But my thinking was the big selling point with American players is that they are a "bargain" as they arent' able --- yet -- to demand top dollars, euros, name your currency, on the player market. Playing here at the 1st, 2nd division level, won't leave anyone poor. Plus, the cost of living is significantly lower certainly than in Germany, and Scandinavia!! Many of those same German teams send scouts next door to check out the cheap Czech talent. If an American can make a name for himself, the Czech league could be a stepping stone to something bigger. I just don't see American players being so picky. Plus, if they play in and around Prague, there are fewer breathtaking cities around.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, I would think then - if you don't think they are being picky - the key for you would be to first get in touch with a few Gambrinus clubs and establish some rapport with their GM's.

Then you may want to establish some contact with the Youth and PDL teams, which don't have players tied to long-term (or any) contracts.

Then you may want to watch a lot of DVD's to figure out which players have a better shot at being a pro.

Czech clubs may not mind seeing some US players there for try-outs but the kids aren't likely to want to come for an extended audition on their own buck, so an agent would have to pay for these trips first.

So, in total, you need a network of contacts in the US, a network of contacts in Czechia and some upfront cash.

Of course, if you want a football expert ...

5. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're right. But it's kinda Catch-22. Let's say I meet with some club officials, and they express an interest and ask, "Well what players are you in touch with?" Stuttering I say.....

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I would try to first work with the already existing US agents as their Czech representative.

After you get done with the top 5-10 drafted MLS players, the "quality of life" compensation in Czechia is probably on par with MLS.

Talk to a few of those agents and see what/whom they are looking at.

Those guys know what offers their clients are receiving.

And then how to sell the Czech clubs on the US players.

After interviewing the said players and giving them the "reality of a pro life" speech.

7. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again you're right. (You should be doing this, are you??) I'm gonna have to hook up with an experienced agent stateside. First thing, I'll do some homework here, gauging club interest in looking at American talent. See what kinda money the lower profile teams have. I'll keep you posted on that and other interesting tidbits I find out.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am not.

Maybe I should establish some contacts with BATE Borisov.

Do you think anyone in the US would go to Belarus?

I think Peter Philipakos was making ~ $25K/Y with Most but that's enough to survive on there, probably equivalent to ~ $50K or so in the US.

You figure a rookie won't even get that but an apartment + a car (WWII era Hetzer for safety) + some living money is enough to get by and certainly no worse than a developmental salary in MLS.

If you do decide to do it, you probably will be losing money for the first few years but it may turn into a lucrative side business later on.

9. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I should establish some contacts with BATE Borisov.

Do you think anyone in the US would go to Belarus?

Belarus is a little tough, still stuck in a Soviet time warp.

I think Peter Philipakos was making ~ $25K/Y with Most but that's enough to survive on there, probably equivalent to ~ $50K or so in the US.

I forgot about this guy till recently. Was that the kind of contract he signed there? Too bad never worked out with his injuries and all. Apparently, they were impressed. Interestly, Most is one of the few Czech teams with lots of foreigners on it. They've been demoted to the 2nd division where they've been the last two years.

You figure a rookie won't even get that but an apartment + a car (WWII era Hetzer for safety) + some living money is enough to get by and certainly no worse than a developmental salary in MLS.

If you do decide to do it, you probably will be losing money for the first few years but it may turn into a lucrative side business later on.[/QUOTE]

Losing money? Wife won't like to hear that.

10. UKscouts

UKscouts Member

Feb 4, 2008
    i can put you in touch with the right people if you are interested, contact me privately

11. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    You should check out the FIFA website for the requirements. There is a test you have to pass and you (or your firm) have to put up a bunch of money as kind of bond before you can become a certified agent. You don't necessarily have to be a lawyer but it seems to help since a lot of the quesitons are about contract law.