Getting from the Frankfurt Airport to the Right Train

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by NBlue, May 16, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me for breaking this out into its own thread as it could be legitimately referenced in both the "Flying into Frankfurt" and the "Train info now in English" threads, but since this is such a confusing issue I thought it might deserve its own place.

Like so many, I am flying into the Frankfurt Airport. I have train passes and had initially made reservations online for a train from the Main Frankfurt train terminal to Essen, where my hotel is located upon my arrival. However, after poking around a bit, I believe that this may not be the best course of action as the Main Frankfurt terminal is located a bit of a distance from the Airport. Notably, a perusal of the DB website reveals that there are no fewer than 20 train station which can support regional travel in and around Frankfurt. However, it appears that the Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof is actually located adjactent to the airport and you can get direct trains from this location to many German cities. Accordingly, I plan on reserving my train directly from here to Essen on the morning I arrive -- the 12th.

The purpose of my post is twofold -- one, to point out for everyone to be very careful in selecting the train station from which you are making reservations and, two, to have someone confirm for me (hopefully) that I am making the right call by reserving from the Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof as opposed to the Frankfurt (Main) Hbf in order to get to Essen the quickest on the morning of the US v. Czech match. Perhaps an expert in the DB could confirm or deny this -- thanks!

2. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Yes, reserving a seat from Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof is definitely the best option. The station's name actually means "Frankfurt (Main, 'Main' being the name of a river) airport long distance train station".
    It belongs to the airport and you can get a lot of (long distance) trains from there.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You're really looking for a solution to a problem that has already been solved.

Germany has one of the most extensive rail systems in the world.

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/rubrik/10/10311.way_tofrom_the_terminal.htm

Way to/from the terminal
    Frankfurt Airport has two railway stations

The long-distance railway station is at the AIRail Terminal, right next to Terminal 1. Trains arrive at and depart from platforms 4 to 7.

In addition, there is a local railway station for S-Bahn, regional and local trains at Terminal 1, Level 1. Trains arrive at and depart from platforms 1 to 3.

Both railway stations are linked to Terminal 2 via buses and the Sky Line. This is how you get there

From the platform (Level 0, Area B) go one floor higher up, following signs to Terminal 2. When in Area B or C, get on a free Shuttle Bus to Terminal 2. The service runs between 05:00 and 03:00 hrs (5am to 3am). Alternatively, follow signs to the Sky Line in Hall B. This service to Terminal 2 runs at 2-minute intervals.

Important: You are not permitted to take trolleys onto a Sky Line train.

4. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps -- though when I made my reservations initially I did not notice I made them from the Frankfurt Hbf as opposed to the Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof. Thus, the problem. Fortunately, I caught the problem and solved it before I got off the airplane in Frankfurt and then had to rush to try to get to the main trainstation to get to my reservation in time. Perhaps this is elementary for frequent European travelers but I found it to be a bit confusing and figured I'd share rather than have someone fall into the same boat.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Rhein-Main International is one of the busiest airports in Europe. IMHO, getting train reservations in advance for travel to or from FRA is not really necessary.

I'm not trying to come across as being critical of your decision to do so. I'm just pointing out the fact that FRA deals with tens of thousands of passengers daily. You won't have any problems getting to or from the airport to Essen - or to anywhere else in the country - via rail without having reservations in advance.

http://www.internationalairportguide.com/europe/frankfurt_airport.html

6. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to hear, Mike. I guess I was just a bit concerned by the repeated warnings to make sure I had reservations from the DB thread. Additionally, since I am cutting it more than a bit close by arriving the morning of our match, I will be living in fear for the next 4 weeks that somehow the flight will be delayed or something will happen (can't get on the train) and I will miss the match. I think I'm more than a bit paranoid -- but when you've been planning on something your so excited about for a long time I'm willing to be paranoid here. Anyway, thanks for the insight!

-Rusten

7. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005
    You're right about there not being any problems getting to Essen from Frankfurt airport, I do think though that reserving seats might be helpful, especially if you're travelling in a group. Finding a seat can be a little difficult on that particular route.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Rusten,

It always make sense to double-check things when making arrangements such as this.

Depending on when your flight gets in to Frankfurt, there are any number of rail options you have when travelling from the Airport station to Essen. You can get a quick look at the airport station below:

[​IMG]

You can get trains that go direct (no changes) from Frankfurt to Essen, including ICE trains that'll get you there in less than 2 hours.

If you haven't already done so, I can create a personal timetable for you that I can pass along via email. Just PM me with your email address and I'll send it along as an attachment.

The Magpie

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I actually caught a train from the Frankfurt Airport to Paris once, when our flight was cancelled. It is hilariously easy. (Amsterdam Schipol is a bit easier, but they are both shockingly idiot-proof).

[​IMG]

You'll most likely arrive into Terminal 1. From there, just follow the signs for the train station, you have to walk across the road through an overpass, down an escalator and then down a long hallway. Once you get to the end of the hallway, you're at the train station (it's represented as a circle above). Entire process takes about 5 minutes once you're out of customs with your bags. From there, make a seat reservation if you haven't already, find your platform and go downstairs and get on your train. No sweat.

I made a reservation for trains from Frankfurt Airport to Dusseldorf for the day we get in just in case the airport was a mob scene and there is a long line for seat reservations (plus, it's only $ 2), but I expect we'll just show up, make a seat reservation for the next train and off we go.

10. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Just in case someone out there is not sure, Frankfurt-Hahn is the "other" airport. It's smaller, and used to be a U.S. airbase. It's way out in the boonies, and about a 45 minute bus ride to Frankfurt hauptbahnhof. There's no rail there.

2. I once went through Frankfurt-Hahn on my way to Munich. It was the Friday as Oktoberfest was kicking off, and I got to ride with the baggage (at least it was the first class baggage!). I would think Frankfurt-Main's train station and Frankfurt-HBF would be about equally busy, so a 3 euro reservation could not hurt.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I was stationed at Hahn from January 1984 - January 1987.

And yes, it is out in the middle of nowhere.

There are a lot of really great vineyards that are within a 20 minute drive from there though.

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the definition of long-distance and regional and local? As we are heading to Cologne I'm curious as to which category this city falls under. Good link though and the map by jamison and photo by Magpie are excellent too.

13. Dubliner

Dubliner Member

May 5, 2006
    Well I must be an idiot because both times I've been to Frankfurt I found the ticket machines difficult to work out (despite the option for "English"). And I'm usually good at things like that and once I was with someone who spoke some German... we ended up getting the wrong ticket anyway :( Fortunately the conductor was understanding....

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    For Cologne you'll be leaving from the long-distance platforms.

For a good selection of photos, check out the following:

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/de/station/Frankfurt-M/Flughafen-Airport/pix.html

Cheers,

The Magpie

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I only said getting TO the train was idiot proof. :D

From Terminal 1 at the airport, I found it really easy to get to the trains.

Yes, getting tickets from dodgy German ticket machines might be a b!tch. That's why I made my reservation from here when I got the tickets, so I could just walk from the plane right onto a train. Don't have to get our pass stamped or anything. Luvin' it.