Getting back in soccer shape

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NErevs3, Jul 11, 2004.

1. NErevs3

NErevs3 New Member

May 4, 2003
    new hampshire
    Hey i live in New Hampshire and i know i can make a team beacuse (felix brilliant made the revs and he went to the smallest college in NH) but i have been out of soccer for about 3 1/2 years, i was a "star" goalie i guess but i hated the position but now i like it. what would be the best way to get in good shape and what are some good training workouts i could do in the backyard to give me a good chance of making the team.

5'6 1/2
    133 1/2 lbs is that good soccer height and weight for a 14 year old?

some tips woud help thanks for help

2. European16

European16 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Koln
    so you want to be a goalie again ?
    if so, the only think i can think of is, buy Ankle Weights and jump around and jog with them, or you can put them on your wrist too.
    After you take them back off you would be pretty quick.
    iam not 100% sure tho.

3. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There was a post about this before that I replied too but i'm too lazy to find it! Anyways, i'd say don't got for ankle weights at all (unless you've done plyometrics work in the past). And to get into plyo's you need to be in very good shape otherwise they have a pretty high injury risk, but that's only for people who AREN'T in shape that go straight into them really (plyo's require you to be in shape to do them anyways). Plyo's are great for increasing speed/vertical jump/overall leg strength. I've never used ankle weights because I hear the injury risk is huge. They apparently mess up your knees (ie: can cause ligament tearing) and i'd prefer to stay aware from that :). Yet i've also heard that doing shuttle runs at a pretty quick speed with LIGHT ankle weights on is helpful (2.5-4lb's max)... but there's still the risk of injury.

What I would say you should try doing first are hill sprints, interval runs (sprints would be good but try doing a 100m-200m-400m-200m-100m type set to help with endurance), shuttle runs/sprints, or even work with agility ladders. Any of those are great to do.

4. smith07

smith07 New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    running with ankle weights will hurt your knees because it creates a lack of balance