Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. futbowl

futbowl Member

Barcelona
    Mexico
    May 17, 2018
    I need help trying to get from Niznhny Novgorod to Samara on July 6 after the QF match. I have looked everywhere but cant find a way to get there. Any help is appreciated

2. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Moscow metro is great but be sure that you have time on your hands since the distances in Moscow is huge.
    It takes longer time to get from point A to B compared with London for example.

3. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    Same goes for Samara, it's a huge city.
    Didn't use the metro since taxi is dirt cheap but everything takes so long because of the distances. 7.5 km taxi ride was like2$.

4. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    Hi!
    You can get two ways.
    The first: You spend night in N.Novgorod and next day you will left for Samara.
    Second way: You will departure to Moscow after the Match(by train, flight or bus.. Take the train will be better - you can sleep). Next day you can reach Samara from Moscow by airplane.
    https://avia.tutu.ru/offers/?passen...e7-82fc-41aca7d5e77f&route[0]=491-07072018-74
    https://www.tutu.travel/poezda/rasp_d.php?nnst1=2060001&nnst2=2000000&date=06.07.2018

5. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    The middle time between metrostations by train is 3 min. You can calculate your way. Transitions between lines is about 3-5 min.

6. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    How does free metro on match days actuall work? What do I need to scan?
    In Moscow in particular.

7. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    As I know, you need show your ticket and Passport Fan ID to servant close turnstile, after that he (or she) will open it.

8. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
  9. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    So if I want to go out and get wasted ot's cheaper to pay than risk losing the ticket.

10. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    if you plan to use metro often you can buy "TROYKA" card in metro ticket office (about 50 rub) and you can keep some amount with this card.
    If you pay one way ticket without card then the cost will be 55 rub, if you use the TROYKA card you will pay 36 rub. Also if you take BUS+METRO or TRAM+METRO you will pay 55 rub.+55 rub.=110 rub (two bottles of beer) without TROYKA card. With TROYKA card only 36 rub.+19 rub.=55 rub.(only one bottle russian beer) )))

tudobem62014 repped this.
  11. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    Already got it during my short run through Moscow.

12. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    You are welcome! :thumbsup:
    It is good. You can use it without limit of time. I have this one although I have been living in St. Petersburg (Peter). Peter has the same card, it's name is PODOROZHNIK.

13. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    Quick question, you need to get a similar card in St. Petersburg right? I got the Troyka on a short trip but I will assume it will be not compatible in St Pt.

14. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    He just answered that :)
    Not compatible.

Fedechat repped this.
  15. R_Raskolnikoff

VFB Stuttgart
    Germany
    Feb 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyway, transport is ridiculously cheap in Moscow. For those who stay some days in Moscow, I had a 3-day-ticket, that was valid for metro and buses. Cost only 420 RUB.

16. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    Hi!
    You are right. The cards from Msc and SPb are not compatible.

Fedechat repped this.
  17. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    To get fun in St.Petersburg you can visit Rubenstein street. This short street has about 70 bars, restaurants or cafe. This place is very safety and situated near the metrostation Mayakovskaya.

wixson7 repped this.
  18. skwasha

skwasha Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 1, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Any must have apps I should be installing for when I hit the ground in Russia?

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Yandex Taxi
    Yandex Maps

And Uber if you don't already have it.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  20. playedwinger

playedwinger Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    May 11, 2018
    You would be amazed how little taxi cost in russia for now.

tudobem62014 and Y tu mama tambien repped this.
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Agreed.. but it is the communicating the address part that I've found to be a challenge.

22. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    Hence the apps.

Re: borders, I left Russia twice this week (air to Belarus, road to Lithuania) and nobody asked for any registration papers.
    I was only asked to show Fan ID once, when I was leaving from SVO.

wixson7 repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I posted this in the hotels thread, but will post here too:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just left Russia yesterday as I have work. However, I'm returning next week for the quarterfinals onward.

When leaving, I had a handful of registration slips from various hostels and hotels. However, not from every place. The lady at passport control though simply had no interest in them whatsoever. Seriously, I tried to give them to her.. in fact, I even WANTED her to look at them as I was sort of proud of my achievement, I tried like 3 times I was like, "Mojna, mojna!". she kept saying, "Nyet, nyet - ni nada, ni nada" Anyway, I finally gave up and realized these registration slips would just be used as souvenirs or could even be used as gifts had they not had all of my passport data on them.

Anyhoo... the one document which you don't want to lose, which just happened to be the one that I did lose is the migration card you are given when you enter the country. :rolleyes: I realized it was gone the day before flying and after doing some research, found conflicting information about the consequences of this, some of which was fairly dire. So I emailed the last hostel I stayed in and they promptly sent me a scanned of copy of this they had kept and the host I was staying with kindly printed it out for me. I took this printed copy of the migration card to the airport with me, and they took it without any questions asked so I guess that worked!

Basically, I would strongly recommend taking a photo or something of your migration card so you have a digital copy, and maybe ask your next hotel to make you a printed copy of it so you have a backup. Anyway, I guess the lesson learned here is chill out and enjoy Russia... seems like their bark is a little harder then their bite when it comes to this stuff. I hope it goes smoothly for everyone else, and see ya'll again in 10 days.

wixson7 repped this.
  24. aleefimov

aleefimov New Member

Zenit St. Petersburg
    Russia
    Jun 21, 2018
    Hi!
    yandex map (you can download offline map of region of Russia which you need)
    yandex metro
    yandex taxi
    booking
    airbnb
    google translator

25. Jeff Wyzywany

Jeff Wyzywany Member

Chelsea
    Belgium
    May 7, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    I’m flying into DME airport... is the express train into Moscow free with Fan ID? Is the process pretty straight forward?