Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. BMfutbol16

BMfutbol16 Member+

Real Madrid
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys know if you have to have the match ticket for the destination city to ride the free trains? or can you put any ticket number? We want to go to ST. Petersburg on the free train before the Russia v Egypt match but were not sure if we will find CAT3 tickets due to the demand for that game.
    Also, How do we know if the train has a shower?

Thanks

2. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope they allow booking the fast trains between Moscow and St. Petersburg... otherwise I’d have to take the 10 hour sleeper which doesn’t seem all that safe.

BMfutbol16 repped this.
  3. BMfutbol16

BMfutbol16 Member+

Real Madrid
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say that? everyone that I have heard from tells me its not bad. They have 4 beds to a cabin and they have restaurant and bars inside. Some even have showers. Id say if you are going with 2 or more people it should be fairly safe. But as I am not from familiar I would rather hear this from a Russian or a resident.

4. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    And staff in every carriage and police on board patrolling. I think I'm going to catch a twenty hour train once to save some money.

5. BMfutbol16

BMfutbol16 Member+

Real Madrid
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about 20 hours! LOL but 8 to 12 overnight doesn't sound bad. Drinks then sleep.

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I'm debating whether to do it - well max 15 hours for me. I might do it on one of the segments.

Wonder if 1st Class is worth it -- looks to be about $100 - twice the price from the 2nd class sleeper.

7. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #82 mkdaman1818, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    I’ve taken sleeper trains everywhere, including Europe (France, Germany, Amsterdam), China, and even Egypt. I normally love the convenience of them as well as saving a nights hotel room cost. If we get free sleeper trains, I’m all for it. But it depends on what type of trains that are available for free.
    From what I’ve read about Russian trains, there’s a luxury sleeper, a decent sleeper (what most tourists take), and a dodgy sleeper with open walls instead of compartments with locked doors. I’m just not sure what train type the ones on the site are yet. If they’re decent sleepers then I’ll probably do that, if there are no free high speed trains available. But i suspect right now that it’s the dodgy trains that are available.

Check out the below link, specifically the section on:
    What are Russian trains like?

https://www.seat61.com/Russia-trains.htm

BMfutbol16 repped this.
  8. diegomaradona1010

Sep 16, 2017
    The train schedule is BS. They are offering 'free' trains that take over 2x longer to reach their destination? Moscow-SP is a 3.5 hour trip, it should not take 8+ hours.

Can we expect domestic flights to go down in price leading up to the WC? Right now they are around $300-500 for 2 hour journeys (round trip) which is more expensive than Brazil.

9. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    I suspect flights are only ever going up in price between now and June.

10. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I have a set of questions:

1. Do anyone know if, for instance, a train between Sochi and Moscow, have stops, like say in Rostov? And if you can hop off there, assuming you have a ticket to a Rostov match?

2. Is it possible to have a free train travel on a regular train, or just on the additional ones?

For those who have questions about russian trains, they are safe and even the 3rd class platskart is somewhat comfortable enough for a night. Gone transiberian this year mainly on platskart on long trips and it was ok! Btw, bought pretty much everything through rzd.ru

11. Fussball_eh

Fussball_eh Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I am planning on taking the Trans-Siberian Express from Beijing to Moscow. Is anyone else planning on doing a long train trip like this in Russia?

Nick Kharchenko repped this.
  12. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    1) Stops of the fastest regular train: with a stop in Rostov on Done
    https://rasp.yandex.ru/thread/102S_...oint_from=s9613034&point_to=s2000003#routemap

So far I don't see any stops there for free trains.

2) Nope, just additional ones are free

13. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017

1) Yes, that's the interesting part. They could, in theory, have a stop there and other stops on the way on other cities with games and make things more flexible. Then again, let's see what will come on the 15th of December.
    It's kind of stupid to need to go from Sochi to Moscow just to come back to Rostov, as an example. Or from Nizhny to Moscow, to then go to Kazan.

14. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    December 15 will bring some answers.
    But you are saving 10-15 usd.
    Not much to worry about, probably

themanlarry repped this.
  15. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I’d love to be doing that it’s not about cost it’s that dreaded lack of time. Fly Oz to China than take that Train all the way in.....So jealous. Post some photos PM them to me that’s always been a bucket list item of mine

16. Fussball_eh

Fussball_eh Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I am just annoyed I can't watch the games while on the train, but you can't have it all, haha.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  17. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Some of the Russian members have said you can watch the matches live on matchtv.ru if you get a Russian simcard (or it could just be geolocked to when you are in Russia). I hope this is the case - for the train rides and for watching some of the match directly before the one you are attending.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  18. Fussball_eh

Fussball_eh Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Would be amazing, but that doesn't solve the issue in China & Mongolia (which is part of the train route :D).

19. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Ahh yes sorry I was thinking you were doing it beforehand not during. Every person I've ever met who has completed the Trans-Siberian absolutely loved it! Definitely one of the big travel bucket list items!

20. Fussball_eh

Fussball_eh Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I've been doing research all day, and it turns out the route I am taking is actually called the Trans-Mongolian. Makes sense I guess.

21. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    China and Mongolian TV have broadcast rights for the world cup.... So maybe portable TV set will save the day... :))))

Stuckin1au repped this.
  22. lufcinsfo

lufcinsfo Member

leeds united
    Republic of Ireland
    Dec 12, 2017
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    More than four hours is lots of time. Ask your hotel a few days in advance for the best option. In Brazil, there were shuttle buses running directly from the airport to the stadium on game days. Assuming they do the same in Russia, if your flight is delayed, you can leave your luggage at the airport and take a shuttle bus to the stadium and then back to the airport after the game.

23. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    Couple of questions here if someone could assist..

1- Do Additional trains have power outlets and/or WiFi?

2- For TST4-7 ticket holders, are we able to book Additional trains for the KOs just in case we qualify?
    In my case I've got a R16 in Moscow or Sochi so I wanna book an add train for Sochi just in case my TST gets me a ticket there!

3- How should I approach Aeroflot to exchange flights via email as I can't afford a long international call to their call center? If I do it via email are they usually honest about quotation or should they just exchange my flight to another more expensive fare to make me pay more?

24. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    1. 1st Class Seats and business class cabin/Seats always do if you can book one of these the answer is yes. If you can’t pack a portable 6500mAh battery USB pack or buy one on eBay. Trust me once you have one you’ll wonder how you lived without it. However large power type item probably can’t go into stadium. I never risked it but I do pack 2 extra really small ones that are good for one charge and they let me take it into the Maracana. It fitted in my pocket. Maybe I just got lucky.

2. I believe that the match ticket ID number allows you to book so I’m assuming you won’t have that till you redeem the tst voucher match ticket so that’s a No for multi city train booking.

3. Book thru Expedia in future a refundable ticket and change when required thru them they are 24/7 email contact.
    I will ask my 2 Russian friends for more info specifically to change on aerofllot and more importantly if it can be done online.

25. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    Thanks for your extensive reply. I actually forgot to ask about the allowed and prohibited electronics inside a FWC match?

1- I actually do have and gonna pack to Russia 4-5 power banks but it's always better to save your power for "emergencies" so an on-train power outlet would be much appreciated, Russia :(

Also, I don't remember while booking my Additional trains that I had the option to book a Business class / 1st class seats.. since it's a free train why should they make any difference between seats? :cautious: I believe it should be available in every cabin, or not at all since everyone is charged the same ($0).. and more logically those trains should have power outlets since they run for toooooooo f*n long! :mad:

2- You can book your Additional train with a Ticket Request ID, you don't need the actual Match Ticket ID.. I wonder if they're gna post the KOs schedule now anyways unless it's fair for TST and CST holders and they're also allowed to book their "possible" KO trips!

3- Expedia did not offer the same flight.. not even in more expensive choices :( but turns out I got the wrong date at Aeroflot and that's exactly why I am exchanging the flight! :laugh:
    But, thank you for tryna ask your friends, please let me know if they have any idea how to fix this