Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    If you guys are following Australia I'd be interested in sharing a car. I'll be traveling solo but I plan on visiting Volgograd and Rostov between Australia's 2nd and 3rd games

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    @Nick Kharchenko I booked the Sapsan train from Moscow to St P, on www.russiantrains.com. The schedule is out and everything looks good, but wasn’t sure if this was just a train ticket broker? Any insight or am I good to go?

3. rafael_mia

rafael_mia Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
  4. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks for this link! Really useful for checking routes. Do you recommend buying through this link (or is there a better website/company)?

Also is 'Yandex.Taxi' the best taxi app? I need a way to get to the airport once or twice at awkward hours (I think a 4am flight from Kaliningrad to Moscow one day).

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just saw this today, maybe late to the game, but the Free Train details for those with the FAN ID have come out.

I only looked at the Moscow to St. P, but (as assumed) they are not the high speed trains. Approx 8+ hours vs the 3+ on the bullet train. But free is free and the website looks pretty nice as well.

https://tickets.transport2018.com/free-train/schedule

azevedof repped this.
  6. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Can't check your link at the moment.

But as far as I know Russian trains can be booked within 60 days till departure. And there is a plan to increase this limit to 120 days, so there should be no way to book trains yet.

Free ones - different story.

7. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I didn't tried the link personally. But it's official partner of Russian railway, they have better English interface than railways themselves. This is why I prefer to share this link.

Yandex won competition with Uber in Russia. So there ok. May not the cheapest, but still very popular. But this can vary from town to town. You can try it and check if their interface is clear for you.

8. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    I downloaded and tried Yandex the other night at what would be 4 in the morning and there were some drivers around. Looks like Uber but better! Good to have the option ready (albeit 6 months out). Cheers again. Keen for a beer in Kaliningrad!

9. Red Crash

Red Crash Member

Santa Fe
    Colombia
    Jun 20, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Does anyone has experience driving in russia? thinking about renting a car while im there.

10. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    those are brokers and more expensive. I looked at a train and the difference was about $30-35 depending on schedule. I was looking at economy+ and business on the fast train.

11. You are a nad... why would you want to see MEX? Your nad overlords will not be pleased.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game is a Germany game, who does not want to see the best team in the world play?

BuddhaWake repped this.
  13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    So, new question: Booking through them still guarantees me the seats on the train, right? I’m ok with paying extra.

14. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Yeah I'm gonna hold out a few more months. I guess we should be able to buy 120 days out sometime next year.

BuddhaWake and themanlarry repped this.
  15. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    They say they can. I wouldn't know. Maybe being brokers they have early access to tickets or to blocks of seats but I do not know.

16. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    rafael_mia and wixson7 repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    themanlarry repped this.
  18. titoguti8

titoguti8 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Nov 16, 2017
    Hello my fellow world cuppers...I have a very general question that I hope someone can help me answer. I am trying to see if I will make the Brazil vs Costa Rica on 6/22 on time. My flight from Moscow arrives to St. Petersburg at 10:25am and the game starts at 3pm. I googled mapped the route and it gives me about 1 hour from airport to stadium. The only thing is I have to stop by the Demetra Art Hotel to drop of luggage. Does anyone know logisitics in St. Petersburg and if I will make it on time to the game? Any help on what transportation to take to get there the fastest too please? (taxi, metro, uber, etc....)

19. EricJohn

EricJohn Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Is anyone planning to escape Russia in between their games?

Im following Mexico but planning to leave Russia after their 1st game since there is 5 days between game 1 and game 2.

Thinking Italy, Greece, or Cyprus for some beach time.

Will there be any issues coming in and out of Russia?

20. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    No issues, Fan ID is valid for multiple entry.

I know some fans that plan to travel between Kaliningrad matches across EU.

21. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    - Lithuania before the Croatia vs. Nigeria in Kaliningrad and between Spain vs. Morocco and England vs. Belgium there (Nida, Klaipeda, Kaunas, Vilnius).
    - Estonia (Tallinn and one or two others) before the Saint Petersburg semi-final unless I try to find QF tickets.

Wanted to maybe go to Berlin on the way to watch Germany's first match in the fanmeile if the dates worked but after they drew Mexico in Luzhniki I said screw it I'll watch it in person (fingers crossed).

I think many people who are heading to Kaliningrad will stay in Lithuania or Poland and commute.

22. Mahmoud Fahmy

Mahmoud Fahmy Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    I checked the website www.transport2018.com for the free trains, and I was shocked that most of the matches have not free trains available (Specially from Saint Petersburg), although, it is mentioned that the table is not finalized and it will be on 15th Of December 2017, I still have doubt that a lot of trains will be added to the schedule, anyone has any update regarding this issue?

23. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    No need to doubt them nor be shocked. Wait until they have actually posted the schedules before complaining about lack of trains [emoji14]

Stuckin1au repped this.
  24. BMfutbol16

BMfutbol16 Member+

Real Madrid
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trains are great for those going to both semis and the final. you can probably make the 3rd place match and back too!

25. kopite1892

kopite1892 Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Has anyone read any reviews regarding the Free trains during the confed cup?
    Would be interested to hear what they were like?