Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From what I've read online, Economy+ is an Economy class seat with a free sandwich, cookies, and water. Business Class has a full meal served and a more comfortable seat.

BuddhaWake and BocaFan repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its still more than 90 days away, but taking a random Wednesday morning in May, and using today's exchange rates, the high-speed "Sapsan" from St. Petersburg to Moscow one-way has the following price break-down in US$:

Economy: $32
    Economy Plus: $45
    Bistro Car: $70
    Business class: $80
    First class: $145.

So that "free" sandwich and cookies would be a tad pricey. Although I suspect the economy seats would fill-up the quickest so one might have more choice if they get that $13 sandwich (just guessing).

3. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It depends on the train you are choosing. For instance to go to Nizhny you can have a fast train were you are assigned a regular seat. But if you take a night train you will be assigned an sleeper car with 4 berths. Google "'Kupé' class 4-berth sleepers" to get an idea

4. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    themanlarry repped this.
  5. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
  6. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    is the Free Train the opposite as far as facing forward or backward?

7. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dunno, I bet most of them will be trains with sleeper cabins.

8. R_Raskolnikoff

VFB Stuttgart
    Germany
    Feb 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the booking process for my free trains I could see that all waggons had cabins with 4 sleeping berths, so 2 facing forward and two backward.

9. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Yes this is the obvious, so I think what he or she wants is to know is which one to book in order to sit facing backwards or forwards

10. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    This!...

I noticed that on free train carriages/waggons #s 2,3,4...go from left to right and on nickK's link #1,2,3,4.. go right to left.

themanlarry repped this.
  11. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    Hi Guys ,
    any idea how to join Vnukovo airport the day after being in Nizhniy Novgorod for the CRO v ARG match ?
    And for the tourism part ,is it worth stopping in Vladimir for half a day (Part of the Golden Ring apprently)

Thank you.

12. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is there any good transportation app in Russia? Here in Brazil, all major cities are synchronized with "Moovit", a transportation app.
    It tells you how to go to the destination, either by bus, metro..etc. Way better than having individuals apps for each city and each transportation type.
    By the way, I recommend the app "maps.me" for having an offline map. You just have to download the map location before, and you can use without internet connexion.

13. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yandex Metro has Metro maps and schedules for Moscow and SPB.

Yandex Taxi is like Russian Uber.

azevedof repped this.
  14. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have advice on the best way to get to Kaliningrad from the EU?

I'll be in either Germany or Poland, and figured there'd be a way to get to Kaliningrad by train. Doesn't look like there's any rail connections though, and the best options are some pretty pricey flight from Berlin or Warsaw.

15. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    I think there is rail from Vilnius. They are also trialling trains from Gdansk recently. Otherwise a bus from Gdansk, Riga, Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipeda or near abouts is another option.

http://kaliningradguide.com/
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...Kaliningrad_for_World_Cup_2018-World_Cup.html
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowFor...Kaliningrad_Oblast_Northwestern_District.html

16. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    At the moment rail connection to Vilnius only, some negotiations are going on about opening a line to Gdansk and Klaipeda, but we are still waiting for any confirmation on that.

As was said above, there are a lot of options to consider. It really depends on what kind of trip you are looking for. Fastest, cheapest, interesting, non-stop or with sleepovers etc.

Will be happy to assist you with your research, open for any questions regarding Kaliningrad Host City.

p.s. There are places to cross the border on foot :)

rafael_mia repped this.
  17. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    what options are available from Kazan to Sochi between the game July 6th and the game July 7th. There is nothing direct flight wise and all flights seem to be expensive with layovers in Moscow for a couple of hours. Asking for my friend as that is too ambitious a plan for me.

18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think I might book the Bistro car for the train from StP to Moscow in between semis.

themanlarry repped this.
  19. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From this article: http://en.transport2018.com/news_en/5901/

Is there any navigation application for the fans?
    We are developing a fan's transport guide, which will be available to users at the end of March. In the host cities, this program will also work as a mobile application for iOS and Android. It will include all free routes within the cities and between them. The user will be able to independently plot a route. The fan's guide will also include a list of free trains, maps of cities with points of fans concentration: fan zones, stadiums, stations, airports. This project is our unique development, which could become a legacy of the World Cup.

20. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    What's the official site?

The free trains don't appeal to me. I want to go between cities that aren't Moscow and I also don't want to arrive on the day of the game.

21. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    is a couple of pages back.

22. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Trains will not just run from point to point, they will make stops in some cities along the route to pick up and drop off the fans. When the list of intermediate stops is approved, it will be possible to book a berth on a train from such cities to the host cities and back.

http://en.transport2018.com/news_en/5901/

23. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    https://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en

24. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I'm mostly looking for cheapest and then shortest options. :p

Right now the train from Vilnius looks like the best option. I wonder if the free trains will stop outside of Russia (like in Vilnius) to pick up fans headed to Kaliningrad?

25. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

This question was already sent to the organizers, waiting for a reply.