Getting around Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Simon Overall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Great links thanks very much.

Probably a stupid question but when I get to the price is 1703P Russian Rubles?

Is there a way to change currency or is it always Rubles.

Thanks

2. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    With the broker (Real Russia) - it seems like they don't have an official line or way into the system, they just book your ticket when it becomes available like you would (is this correct?). If this is right then there is no guarantee that they could make the booking at the time that it opens faster than someone else doing it for themselves? If they can then it might justify spending a little extra (for my 2nd train). Did they give you any information or can anyone else chime in?

(Moscow - Nizhny Novgorod high-speed return, and Kaliningrad - Vilnius)

3. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, that's correct. I initially had a booking with another broker (I cancelled it later), but they said that they could only book tickets on the first day they went on sale. I don't see any need to use a broker. Just book tickets yourself when they go on sale online.

BuddhaWake and themanlarry repped this.
  4. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, you can't change the currency on the Russian Railways site. Right now, 1703 Rubles is around $30 US.

hearts123 repped this.
  5. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Google 'n rub to gbp' in a separate tab.

hearts123 repped this.
  6. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    Hello guys , any idea on what's the best ?
    To come back home i will take a flight from Demodedovo.
    But from where I will be to join Moscow , I can only fly to Vnukovo or Sheremetyevo.
    Any idea what is the best to fly to to join Demodedovo the fastest possible ? I m reading on internet Vnukovo but would like to get confirmation from the MVP's:)

7. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    Another Question. Someone on this forum has mentioned that he has access to many data regarding airplane lines / tickets etc .. I have checked lal conversations but didn't manage to find who it is . I would need to contact him in MP.
    Thank you

8. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    How long did it take for FAN IDs since shipping to arrive in VFS in Germany?

9. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mahmoud Abdelhamid repped this.
  10. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    themanlarry repped this.
  11. So....how do we feel about the plane crash that took of from Moscow?

Regional airline.

12. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Saratov Airlines hasn't had a good safety record in the past. They were sanctioned in 2015, but service resumed in 2016. If you have to fly, I'd stick with the big airlines (Aeroflot, S7).

ChristianRevolution repped this.
  13. Phil_MN

Phil_MN Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 26, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just read the article and my thoughts and prayers are with all those impacted. Very sad. I booked exclusively Aeroflot, even when some cheaper airlines offered options, due to the others having spotty safey records.

14. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Me probably. I work in the travel industry.

15. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ideally stick with members of IATA - I.E Aeroflot, S7, UT Air

16. Licho

Licho Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jan 10, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I Received an email today from tickets.transport2018.com saying that they tried to verify the ticket number I provided when I booked a couple of free trains, and that they couldnt verify that number (and they are right). So It looks like they are actually checking (and correctly) the information before hand.

17. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Guys, buy your tickets from the official site, it's easy and you can even print your boarding pass beforehand (in most of the trains)!

no need at all to pay brokers!

BuddhaWake repped this.
  18. I got same email, and they were also right.
    So it seems they are checking that...and when I tried to book...a passenger of mine had a middle name that I left out of his application, and when booking I did put the middle name, had same passport #, but it complained about not matching...so it seems to ride the free train you must have a valid ticket to your name.

19. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    Same issue.. tried to book train tickets for KOs with a TST ticket so path is not yet determined and the check was unsuccessful. Yet, this did not affect my booking to the grp stage matches

20. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    This is most likely the reason because I was able to book to grp matches and Final match (not to RD16, QF and Semi). Also, I was not able to book (St. Peter - Moscow) through my semi ticket via "train after the match" but, I was able to successfully book it with Final ticket via "train before the match" which is no good for me as I want to be in Moscow for the second semi or on the 12th.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything: So St. P to Moscow is 8-10 hours on the free train, but the paid train is higher speed? (i.e. 3-4 hours?)

Any idea if those faster trains also run at night? I have a match in St P one night at 21h00 and then the next night in Moscow at 21h00 andI have no hotel that night in St P so train must be an overnight one.

22. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Looking at random dates on the current schedule, fast train seems to only go from around 05:00-21:00 and the slower trains go from the mid-late afternoon till about 01:00.

BocaFan repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I assume that for the free trains there is no choice on what class you travel in(?). Its all cattle/lowest class?

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Great info! So basically 5 different classes to choose from on the high-speed trains: Economy, Economy+, Bistro car, Business, First. There's also a "business compartment" but only worth it if you're travelling with exactly 4 people.

Decisions , decisions....

25. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    To me, business or Economy+ seem to be the best deal.