Getting a Cup of Joe: Gyau in Sweden

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FirstStar, Feb 8, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it looks like he scored:

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    850317786874351616 is not a valid tweet id

Wheels. Good finish.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With this defeat (they lost 2-1) Sonnenhof is 4 points away from the promotion playoff with six games left (for them) and one extra game in hand.

Since the #2 & #3 have yet to play their matches at home and against weaker teams, it's likely they'll be 7 points from the playoff spot by the end of the week.

Looks unlikely we'll be watching them next season.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Don't know many German examples, but a fair few of Leicester's title-winning team played in the lower divisions. They may be playing Atletico away in the CL tonight, but eight years ago it was Hereford away in League 1, in front of 4.5k. Andy King played that night and will probably play tonight. Schmichael dropped down to League 2 when he signed with Notts County and, of course, there's Jamie Vardy.

The most interesting case might be Brett Ormorod. He joined Blackpool in 1997 from seventh division Accrington Stanley and went on to score for Blackpool in all four divisions in two spells with the Tangerines. The sell-on clause in that 1997 signing gave Stanley about 300k Sterling when he joined Southampton, which fuelled their rise to League 2.

There are bound to be many examples from Germany - it's a bigger country with many more clubs - but the best example I can come up with is Fabian Boll who joined St. Pauli from SC Norderstedt in the Schlewig-Holstein Oberliga and climbed to the BL with them while holding down a full-time job as a police detective.

Not exactly a successful BL1 player, but German-speakers would know other examples who established themselves.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just to add on to your point, gyau is a special case as he's already been on the field for a huge club (bvb)....he is not a total unknown, unproven player coming out of nowhere from the lower leagues. he has question marks, namely, his injury history, but if he can answer those, he would go a long way to getting back to where he was before.

given that hes already played and played well for usmnt, bvb, hoffenheim, i think the cliche that "form is temporary and class is permanent" is apropos here.

Winoman and The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fine to be hopeful but I think a lot of people overstate Gyau's accomplishments even before his injury.

He made one appearance for Dortmund at a time when the team was tanking and found itself in the relegation zone. In using Gyau along with a few other young and inexperienced players, Klopp was trying to send a wake-up call to the team's underachieving regulars (similar to Kiesewetter's two lone Bundesliga appearances for a tanking Stuttgart). Gyau's 2 appearances for Hoffenheim came at the tail end of the season when it was neither in a push for Europe nor in a relegation fight. That was the last year of his contract and Hoffenheim made no effort to sign him after that season - letting him go for free

During his loan to St. Pauli, the club had an option for a second year and gave notice to Hoffenheim well before the season was over that they had no interest in exercising said option.

His two USMNT appearances were in friendlies. He wasn't in favor with the U.S. U-23 team and wasn't all that highly regarded with the U-20 team either.

The whole "class is permanent" thing really distorts Gyau as some sort of top prospect. That really has never been the case, even when he was healthy.

That being said, I'd be nice to see him make some sort of career for himself after the injury. It's awful to see a young player derail his career while representing his country.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get all your points but merely making it onto the field at all for a team like dortmund means something, whatever the extenuating circumstances.

i watched gyau live in prague vs czech republic...yes it was a friendly ...but there were a lot of established players in that game and gyau was one of the best on the field, in a US win....not so many times has the US won in europe...and gyau was a big part of one of those wins. he's "proven" himself in my eyes as a player that, at his best, is clearly in the USMNT picture.

you could say the same about bobby wood who was almsot run out of the german second division without JK's help....I understand why everyone wants to look at club strength when they decide who should and shouldnt be in the USMNT picture...but i think with GYau...especially considering he was injured while playing for the US! - an exception needs to be made. if not for gold cup, at least for the upcoming friendly camp...its the least us soccer could do to help him resurrect his career beyond german 3rd division.

call him in, see where hes at: it will be clear right away if he still has "it". i think he does. if not, so what...would it be so horrible if a player like wondo had to sit a camp out for someone like gyau???

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With a goal and an assist in 13 games, I'd say he's found his level with Sonnenhof.

ttrevett repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's safe to say Brian is not enamored of Mr. Gyau's potential. I do think that he might have been on the verge when he got injured in that friendly. It seemed as if he was playing with a ton of confidence and had the pace of a real winger. We'll never know sadly.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps now that he's shown he is healthy and still has speed, some BII teams will give him a try-out this off-season. Stranger things have happened.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is football, so I suppose stranger things have happened, but it'd be extremely strange for him to go on a tryout. Since he joined Sonnenhof, they've played 14 games. He's played in all 14 with 9 starts, including 7 out of the last 10 games. He's a regular now, and anyone who's interested will have scouted him thoroughly. Sonnenhof won't accept a trial; it'll be a straight bid or nothing..

TheHoustonHoyaFan and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long is his contract for?

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well geez.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    June 2018.

Looks like they won yesterday against Mainz 2. They've been doing well of late, climbing to fifth in the table, on the back of strong home form. They're only 3 points behind second, but with a much-inferior GD. Maybe Joe could be in a better shop window next season?

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you could purchase old Gyau for little more than a cup of Joe, ja know what jo mean?

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea how league structure works down there, but Sonnenhof are in 7th after 36 games, presumably 2 more to play, and in typical German fashion the middle of the table is pretty tightly packed (15th placed Fortuna Koln could still catch Sonnenhof and Sonnenhof can still catch 3rd place Magdeburg, at least on points)