"...get to a higher level" (The January Transfer Window Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Kallstrom debacle is pure incompetence...
    not sure what his wages are...but let's say they are 40K a week..Arsenal will pay him nearly 300k before he sees a game

2. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think it is very clear that we need someone else to handle transfers. Wenger identifies players he wants and someone else handles it from there. This Kallstrom situation is a debacle and frankly all the tomfoolery every window hurts the brand name.

3. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget the Cabaye transfer saga either.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking this for a year or two now. Arsene is no doubt a big net plus but he would be an even bigger net plus if he could give up having to be the pivot for things like this. Seems like he's not the best delegator.

5. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Cesc back.

mebeSajid, R9Kevinr9 and total_football repped this.
  6. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the alleged thing between him and Ramsey, i'd much rather take Ramsey at this point.

mebeSajid, daedalus and Romfordray repped this.
  7. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think RvP is not coming back. Total bs.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a short sighted decision, it was a long term one. His contract with ManU is paying him double what he would have ever made with Arsenal.

9. Ryndal

Ryndal Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gunning for Chelsea said

"That Kallstrom debacle is pure incompetence...
    not sure what his wages are...but let's say they are 40K a week..Arsenal will pay him nearly 300k before he sees a game"

Not so fast Wenger hater. The willingness and arrogance to assume that because you are on the internet you can spout off tripe and not get called on it never ceases to amaze me. I know you hate Wenger and every chance you get you take a cheap shot. I get that.

But Wenger said Arsenal do not have to pay KK"s wages until he is healthy. He also gave a reason why he signed him even knowing that he was hurt. I get that he should have signed someone earlier in the window, but he did not. Once you are at the point Wenger was at, his explanation seems quite reasonable to me. You always have to evaluate a specific decision based upon the facts as of that particular point in time, not based on what should have happened, but has not. As economists say "sunk costs are sunk".

10. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.arseblog.com/2014/02/we...wages/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

“Yes of course it crossed my mind,” said Wenger about whether he came close to reneging on Kallstrom’s contract offer.

“I would not have signed him if we had two or three more days to do something, but it was Friday night at five o’clock, so it was [a case of] you [sign] nobody or you do it under these conditions.

“I decided to do it because we might, because of the number of games we have now in February, we might need the players in March or April. There is a possibility [that he may not play] but as well there is the possibility that he scores us the winning goal that might be vitally important.

“At some stage in our job you have to make a decision. Are you wrong or right? You will only know at the end of the season. I made this decision because, since the start of the season, all our central midfielders have missed a part of the season – whether it’s Flamini, Wilshere, Arteta, Chamberlain or Cazorla.

“All of them have had injuries and it can happen that a few of them miss the next part [of the season] together. It’s true that in the first four to six weeks we have not sorted that problem out.”

“Yes,” continued Wenger when asked if Kallstrom’s Russian owners would contribute to covering his wages. “They pay the first six weeks’ wages.

11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    So he gets healthy, adds some depth, we don't pay til he is healthy, and when we have a ridiculous amount of cup finals and the final Prem push for the title we have an extra midfielder who is experienced.

Wheres the issue? Can someone tell me who all these magic strikers we could have bought were? How many would legitimately leave their club in a WC year? What clubs would sell? The top clubs competing for honours wont sell a quality player. And the bottom clubs cant afford to lose their quality players. Look at Newcastle. Boned now because they foolishly let their quality go to another club.

WoodDraw repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the lamest excuse. United signed Mata on Jan. 24th, Everton signed McGeady on Jan. 11th. You can make deals before deadline day. Do your transfer business early, and then you don't get stuck in this dilemma. Inexcusable from whoever on staff is involved with transfers.

daedalus repped this.
  13. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it's one lesson wenger & co never learn.

14. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the point here is that he decided we needed another midfielder late in the window after Ramsey's set back and Flamini's red card rather than just a comment to transfers in general.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    in this specific instance, that's highly probable, but it's not the case for a striker, and in previous years it hasn't been the case in general. the only signings we seem to complete early are the non urgent ones (ie. younger players who aren't going to start immediately)

16. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Right, but we were in for Draxler, and according to his own reports, had met the valuation they set only to have their manager nix the deal late on.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, why wasn't there a plan B besides deadline-day loan offers for Papiss Cisse and Miroslav Klose?

18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it took a month to close a deal that could have been fully negotiated for the 1st day of the window? not to mention that draxler isn't even a striker.

Fifty repped this.
  19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Fully negotiated for the first day of the window when Schalke didn't want to sell one of their key players? If it were that easy, every transfer would be completed on the first day of the window. United closed the Mata deal quickly because he wasn't considered a key player by Maurinho and Chelsea were willing to sell.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    and why did arsenal think schalke would suddenly change their attitude in 4 weeks? either we bid enough for them to say yes, or we didn't. all that could have been settled either way before the window even opened.

Fifty repped this.
  21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hell, negotiating deals don't even have to wait for the window.