Gesundheit! Etchu Tabe at Ekenas IF

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by manutd02, Dec 7, 2009.

1. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
  2. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Wow.. If he signs there, that means all four Yanks are gone from Ljungskile. We may not hear from david_c ever again! :(

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  4. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I believe they were mid-table. Team was known for their defense during the season. They didn't allow many goals, but then again, they barely scored any.

Mariehamn is an island that sits between Finland and Sweden. In fact, many of the locals speak Swedish. Yes, it is in the Veikkausliiga, the top level in Finland.

5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is a midtable 1st division team in Finland a step up from LSK? I have next to zero knowledge of the Finnish system, but it doesn't seem to be highly regarded. Tabe did quite well in Sweden, I wouldn't want to see him move down a level in competition.

6. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedantic addendum from dorky mod: Mariehamn is on a more or less autonomous island called Åland, which as you said is home to many members of Finland's ethnic Swedish minority.

Soccer isn't the #1 sport in Finland, and the Veikkausliiga is relatively weak, yes. I haven't watched enough of the Swedish second division to comment on relative quality, but if this move is a step up it's not a big one, in my opinion. The OP might possibly have more to say on this than I do.

7. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    It's a valid question. You look at the top teams in Finland like TPS and HJK and there has been some moderate success in European play in the last decade.

The thing about LSK is that just two years ago they were in the Allsvenskan which is far superior than the Veikkausliiga... but the Superettan is a different story. I dunno, I think I'd have to side with the Superettan being just a hair above the Veikkausliiga. So probably a small step down for Etchu.

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if it is a small step down or even a lateral move, then the only reason I can see for leaving would be better pay.

Anyone have any ideas of the pay in the Finnish 1st division compared to the Swedish 2nd?

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found a thread where IFK Mariehamn fans are discussing this transfer. It is in Swedish so hard to follow, but one poster claims Energie Cottbus were (or are) also looking at him.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Just so everyone has the background info:

23 year old, Cameroonian/American, 6'4", CB/Striker

11. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden

Like Friedel'sAccent wrote "Mariehamn is on a more or less autonomous island called Åland" And Åland decides many things on their own. Like taxes so maybe IFK Mariehamn can pay more to their players. Like Monaco who play Ligue 1 in france.

Don't really know about the level of Finnish 1st division but AIK Solna who won Allsvenskan signed two players from the team that won Finnish 1st division 2008 and both players were important players this year.

But I really hope that Etchu stays in LSK.

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His trial is completed; however, Mariehamn won't decide on Tabe until some time in January.

I love the team director's quote:

"We will presumably make a decision, but not until January," director Peter Mattsson told YA.

"Presumably" :confused: Does that mean he is not sure whether the team will ever decide who they are going to sign for those vacant roster spots?

http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=5627

13. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. RoPS

RoPS New Member

Apr 21, 2007
  15. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
  16. RoPS

RoPS New Member

Apr 21, 2007
  17. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    Well It's only to wish Etchu good luck and thank him for his time in LSK. But on the other hand I'm pretty suprised, with all respect to RoPS but the finnish second division? It feels like he is a little bit better than that.

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really don't understand the switch. He can't be making that much more money and the swedish 2nd division is more than likely way better...so kind of at a loss.:confused:

19. RoPS

RoPS New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    According to rumors €3000 per month + free apartment in the downtown area + free food

20. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden

Many clubs i sweden has to cut their costs and LSK has lost some players due to worse contract offers. And Etchu signed when LSK was playing in Allsvenskan had a pretty good contract i think and LSK didn't have the economy to give him the same contract or as much the rumours says that he will get in RoPS. And it seemes likes he will get some other benefits to. So thats a good deal for Etchu.

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty good. Don't blame him if he wasn't going to get that in Sweden.

But I hope he dominates here and goes to a bigger league this summer or next winter.

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About his move to Finland:

"A very influential person in my football career always tells me ‘sometimes it's necessary to take a step sideways, to go forward,' and I look forward to this new experience with a good team with great history."

http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=5826

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't understand a word of Finnish and Google translate doesn't seem to do a very good job; however, I do understand a picture of Etchu on crutches. Can anyone get more out of this article than he has a knee injury and doesn't know when he can return? He seems to be a promising, young defender, and I hope he can recover soon and continue to develop his game.
    [​IMG]