PBP: Germany vs. Serbia | June 18th | Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Germany dont usually do well in their 2nd game

1998 - 2-2 VS Yugoslavia
    2000 - 0-1 VS England
    2002 - 1-1 VS Ireland
    2004 - 0-0 VS Latvia
    2006 - 1-1 VS Poland
    2008 - 1-2 VS Croatia

Is this a strategy? So that we can be more flexible in choosing opponents in the 2nd round?

But i do see a trend here.

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Re: Germany vs. Serbia | June 17th | Match Thread [R]

Klose scored a goal VS Australia, yes. But i think seriously think there were two clear chances that he should've scored. They were real sitters

Against stronger opponents like Serbia, we cannot afford to waste these chances but we always hv Cacau off the bench if Klose cannot find his scoring touch

In the 2nd half:

----------------------------------Neuer

--Lahm------------Mertesacker---------Arne Friedrich---------Badstuber

---------------------Schweini-------------Oezil/Kroos(sub in)
    ------Marin(sub in)---------------------------------------------Podolski

------------------------Mueller------------Cacau(sub in)

this 4-4-2 is possibly better than the starting 4-5-1 on paper n put form into consideration

Kroos will be used asa DM/CM in this team

3. fanOfBayern

fanOfBayern Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Berlin
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The only goal was scored by Neuville (I think) :)

4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yeah i was wrong about the Poland match

1-0 was the final score but i think we didn't do well in that game as well.

I do see a trend there and i will bet $300 on a draw, if its 2.5X or above.

5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This should be a much tougher game for them I agree, but still firmly believe they will win. Would be nice to see them go down 0-1 and see them fight back and pull out a victory. This will even boost their confidence more and they will grow even closer together as a team - If thats even possible. For Serbia this is already a knock out round game, they will give everything.

I am sure Loew knows that Serbia needs to come out and attack, they cant afford to play defensively. This might suite us better as this will open the game up.

6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    the Serbian are way better than the Aussie, thats for sure

n they cannot afford to lose wither, so they're more motivated than we are

7. Philipp Lahm

Philipp Lahm Member+

Feb 24, 2010
    Russian Federation
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wanna see the same lineup, and watch our defence against far better opposition, Klose can start, but once again i dont think he will do well against Vidic/Subotic.

Poldi vs Ivanovic, and Muller vs Kolarov. And we will see how Stankovic will stop the best player of the tournament so far.

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If on fire, Oezil cant be stopped i'm afraid.

9. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Oezil can start finishing off his chances he will be a force in this tournament. He makes such intelligent runs off the ball. I hope he finds his shooting boots soon.

10. zlz_deutschland_zlz

zlz_deutschland_zlz New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

:) i prefer this line-up again serbia,klose he score again the aussie but how many chance does he missed?like 3 and oezil needed more patient and need to put the ball on target better because we are not safe yet,lucky the serb momentum and confident is to low now and they will miss some key players also,i hope in second round we get slovenia because england might be first of group C,i think u.s.a is beatable by slovenia though!

11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    A Mueller- Cacau strikeforce actually reminds me of Bayern's

12. zlz_deutschland_zlz

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Next game again serbia gonna be tougher than aussie game,because the serb lost first game so they will desperate and play as their final game again us,and yet we not safe for second round because our last game again ghana will not easy either,ghana will play their heart out to be first place so they can play u.s.a or slovenia better than face england IMO,the good news is serbia lost some important players and their confident is to low now,but i just hope cacau will start because klose score again aussie but he missed three sitter there and i never want to see gomez on the field again,he looks so fat and slow like a turtle though!:cool:

13. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^^

Serbia lost some important players??? They just lost one guy, the same guy who was red carded. I can't remember his name, so he must be unimportant. :p Or not that important.Everyone else is playing.

But you are right. Serbia will be desperate for a win. And we will hit them on the counter every time. I was initially expecting a repeat of the Italia 90 score, but I'll revise my prediction and say that we'll win 3-1. With Schweini scoring a Loddar-esque (the one against Yugoslavia) goal from distance.

14. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is a trend, no question about that. But I doubt that its a strategy.

In 1998, Germany were 2-0 down and needed some late heroics to be on level terms with the Yugos. If we ended up 2nd in that group, we would have played Holland in R16 and that's what was to be avoided at all costs.

In 2000, the team had to win against England because the first game was a tie. We lost because we were poor.

In 2002, IIRC, Ireland scored with the last touch of the game. Quite unlucky there. Bode missed some chances to clinch the game for us early in the 2nd half.

In 2004, We hit the post many times but couldn't just find the net. No excuses.

In 2006- We won 1-0

In 2008- We were beaten by a better Croatian side.

No where did we lose as a part of bigger strategy. We lost simply because we were poor. :(

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Keep the same line-up. I want to see Loew plan B. In the past, it has been rather non-existent. I want to him make the right changes if needed under pressure. This ion one area that I think is was of Loew biggest flaws...as we saw vs Croatia in 08.

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The match against Croatia during the EC 2008 should be warning enough (similar stile like Serbia and also our 2nd game after the good start against Poland) ... so let's hope that team & manager will remember that game and avoid making the same mistakes.

It's surely gonna be a very tough match (especially when knowing about our usual problems against teams from Balkan - remember Bulgaria 1994 and Croatia 1998) which we actually can't afford losing. If we get a draw, I'd be also contented ... even though a win would put us in a good position to finish the group as first.

I'm sure that the Serbians will play a lot better than against Ghana, so this game will demonstrate the real quality of our young team!

Btw: Here's our "Bilanz" against this opponent (incl. former Yugoslavia).

http://www.fussballdaten.de/vereine/deutschland/serbien/

17. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also MOST of those years we really did not have our best years what happened in 1996 and 1990, how did we fare in those games?

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd prefer to keep the starting line up the same. Serbia's defense isn't as organized as it seems and their attacking play can be stifled by keeping possession. It's important to provide as much width as possible with wingers and quality overlapping as done in the match against Australia. It's only if it doesn't seem to work, Loew should change it at halftime but tactically it makes perfect sense to start the same formation providing Serbia offer the same they did against Ghana.

Also, This Serbia side is nothing like the Croatia side of 08. The latter had great natural width and used it magnificently. That's how they beat Germany. This Serbia side doesn't really work that way as their fullbacks don't overlap as well.

19. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UAE 1- Germany 5
    Russia 0- Germany 3

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    OBVIOUSLY. After their comfortable wins in the first game Germany totally had the luxury to do so in 2000 and 2004, so they could afford to. And losing the third game totally wouldn't have mattered in either of those tounaments after the second game, so that wasn't a problem at all.

21. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OK then, if the team wins this game, they'll get at least to the semi-finals. And if they win it with a big goal difference, they'll win :D

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's exactly right and something I'm curious to see. The Serbia and even Ghana matches could be great platforms for this to happen.

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Unless there's an injury, I expect the same lineup as against Australia.

No reason to change things.

24. zlz_deutschland_zlz

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1974 we were in the same group with aussie and we won the tournament with gerd mueller score important goal,2010 we beat them again in same group and klose will score again in final and become the all time score leader of world cup,is tghat destiny for us and the aussie?i hope this is the year so we will fourth time winner as italian heh?

25. zlz_deutschland_zlz

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i checked out ESPN soccer news and gareth barry of england said that they are follow our group very tight and try to top of their group so they can avoid germany in second round,
    because they do not want to face hot german team right now so that is a good news then,atleast they fear to play us now heh?the reality is i do not want germany to play them either,if we could get slovenia then it a perfect for us but i do not mind u.s.a also.I am more worry about quarter-final because we could end up again argentina though,just imagine messi,militio,tevez,hilguain of what can they do and most their defense with otamendi,samuel,heinze,demichellis so klose and cacau must be 200% and i know one thing for sure that argentina will not an easy as the aussie and we need to be perfect this time and a bit of luck also!