Post-match: Germany vs Mexico World Cup 2018 17 June - Luzhniki Stadium

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Germany

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes I agree, a note of caution is that Mexico are by far the nippiest team in this tournament, their low sence of gravity has always made them tricky and speedy, I don't think any other team are like them

2. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loew and his ego there to see, but to be honest Sweden don't offer any kind of pace to trouble the Germany defeciances in pace, even the above line up should be to strong

4. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    mhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes but the problem is Oezil has a mental problem...at this stage and that is huge.

I some how how have rated Low over the years and what he had done for German soccer , but one thing he has always lacked was to make tough decisions at crunch times.

i would be highly disappointed if we again see a 4-2-3-1 with Oezil in the team...

5. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Basically the Sweden game is a knockout game, do you really think loew will overhaul his tried and trusted system and personnel for this hugh game? Whilst I do agree ozil khedira need to be dropped and the system to change, the question is does Loews have the balls to do it in this must win game

BorisG repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Who do you replace him with?

I'd drop Mueller, Khedira and Draxler before Ozil personally

In favour of Reus, Dawg and a 3rd CM

I'd also

7. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes I agree, muller and draxler basically offered nothing in movement or width

8. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    HI As on the other thread.....Sweden Germany Thread, i posted the following two options.

Basically replacing Khedira with Sule or Rudy
    Replacing Draxler with Reus
    replacing Oezil with Gundogan or Goertzka.

Also the formation will go from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3

Option 1
    ----------------Boa- Sule- Hummels------------------
    Kimmich-----------------------------------------------hector
    ----------------Kroos----------Gundo---------------------
    Muller-----------------------------------------------------Reus
    --------------------------Werner---------------------------------

Option 2
    Kimmich----Boa---Hummels---Hector
    -------------------Rudy---------------------
    ------------Kroos-------Goertzka--------
    Muller------------Werner-----------Reus

Ger90 repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

rich loc and LGRod repped this.
  10. Chavy

Chavy New Member

Manchester City
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    Something which also has gone unnoticed was how Boetang was hoofing the ball upfield when under no pressure and how Draxler and Muller were slow in getting back to cover (the whole team was).

Agreed Mueller (replace with Grotezka), Khedira (replace with Rudy) and Draxler (replace with Reus), this team will have more energy and a better balance, without Ozil we will lack a cutting edge.

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Ger90 did you see the insider report in sportbild?

There are cliques within the team. Boateng, Khedira, Özil and Draxler in one and Hummels, Müller and Kroos in another. They do not get along and it was very obvious during today’s breakfast.

Many players are mad with Löw for dropping Sane.

Full report in tomorrow’s sportbild.

Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    didn't see it besides Neuer denying any such conflicts behind closed doors.

if it's true, I think it's shows the lack of leadership and that it's time for most of these "old farts" to leave the NT post WC. The one quality that was always admirable about Germany is that it's all about the team, one unit. With these gangs, seems like that's non existent and explains the atrocious football vs Mexico. Incoherent behind closed doors and on the field.

notice all the guys making a fuss are the WC winners and older players. Save for Neuer, Hector, Reus, Gomez.

13. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How come hummels was backing himself and boetang then, if he had issues with boetang he wouldn't

14. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When Jupp came back this season his first action was breaking up all the cliques in the squad. This may be a holdover.

If you can read German the report is on the sportbild twitter.

Ger90 repped this.
  15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There is a difference between saying me and boateng were left out to dry by the tactics, and being boatengs friend.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just read it.

Jupp is more hardcore, some say that he become more strict after he lost the Real Madrid locker room. back in the 90s. Too many egos in one room. At Bayern they basically overthrew Ancelotti.

Is this the 1st time Low loses the locker room? Seems like it.

lol, imagine, Wagner made the squad.:ROFLMAO:

regarless of locker room issues or not. I think we need a Das Reboot post WC, relying less on the 2014 WC squad and more on newer players.

nekkibasara repped this.
  17. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not a good sign at all, Germany main attribute in its football history always been his team ethics and togetherness, if that's missing then if they fall behind again then it will clearly resurface

Ger90 repped this.
  18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree and I think that part of it needs to be a new coaching staff. I worry that the same cliques that overthrew CA are after Löw. The erdogan controversy and sane cut may have been the final straw.

I’m worried about the next generation. Our young players are struggling to make an impact at their clubs. Especially in midfield.

Ger90 repped this.
  19. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't buy it just yet. Sportbild is a toilet paper, seriously. They would make a story out of nothing.

Ger90 repped this.
  20. Berlin1971

Berlin1971 Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Yes there were problems that Mexico exposed....But please, this was not a 4-0 loss to a crap team - Mexico has fast and skilled players and played a great game to win 1-0. It happens. Germany did have several chances to score - they just lacked finishing quality.

This was a tricky opening opponent for Germany. Mexico plays up to their opponents and goes 100% the entire game. Germany may have relied on their reputation in this one but we should see a very different performance v. Sweden in a must-win situation.

21. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They always have decent inside info at Bayern. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some with the NT.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    they are struggling because too many German youth players are made of glass. I think Havertz if he develops well in the next 2 seasons could be our Ozil successor.

from what I've noticed majority of chances in 1BL are given to CBs over any other positions. But don't worry the 97 group-onwards have plenty of midfielders in the pipeline that are poised to become bigger deals next season onwards.

nekkibasara repped this.
  23. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @nekki: Ah come on, show me one example. They're trash. Partly worse than the BILD itself.

I know this to a certain extent cause I work in Berlin's media business and know some of these guys. Not saying it couldn't be true but let's just have a break and let them play the Sweden game.

nekkibasara repped this.
  24. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't know the content of the article but the existence of groups doesn't mean that the coach has lost the locker room or that they can't work together as a team. I could believe that Boateng and Hummels don't get along well because Boateng seems on his way out at Bayern and Hummels can be a douche. But they have to be too disciplined and ambitious for their own good to let personal feelings destroy their chances at the WC.
    The first reports about players being open in their criticism weren't bad in my view. I rather thought that Reus revealing that he knew for some time he wouldn't start the first game to remain fresh for the "important" games had more potential for conflict.

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Low decided to leave Sane out because he hasn't integrated yet to the NT but I think it's a shame that Gnabry was ruled out because of his injury. More useful player than Draxler and could have been good to play off the bench.