Post-match: Germany vs Mexico World Cup 2018 17 June - Luzhniki Stadium

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Germany

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are referring those 2012 days when we were transitioning from a counter attacking based team to a possession based team

Ger90 repped this.
  2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I would say the pressing didn't actually work on Kroos. Apart from once, when he was fouled and handled the ball he was able to retain possession. Kroos' problem is his lack of mobility and not tracking back. He is very press resistant.

Khedira on the other hand lost the ball often and didn't track back.

Khedira brings nothing to the team.
    It's, because Loew has the attack too high all standing in a line. The tactics are to get the ball to Kimmich and he crosses it in. There is little depth and movement. It forces the attacking players to be static.

Ger90 repped this.
  3. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It's fashionable to keep criticising Boateng. Leave a CB that exposed and every denfender in the world will look bad. Hummels and Boateng were't even being left one on one at the back, which is bad enough. They were being left 4 against 2. It was unbelievable.

At one point Loew had Reus, Werner, Muller, Draxler, Gomez, Kroos and Ozil all on the pitch. Where is the structure? Where is the space to move into? Sometimes less is more.

nekkibasara, Thomsen, dips82 and 3 others repped this.
  4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I did make that point in our match thread. Low was the biggest failure. Players can only follow the tactics and you can make good players look like crap by being exposed over and over again, resulting in them not knowing where to turn.

But in general play, he looked so clumpy and slow on the ball. Almost as if hes carrying too much weight, lethargic at best.

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but some teams are able to do both, Germany seem stuck at only possession based team who can't counter anymore to save their lives.

and lol at how the possession based Germany who advance way too much are an easy target for counters yet can barely counter themselves. Becoming possession based has made this team slow in attack. There should be a balance between the 2.

we lack difference makers on the squad. Something we need to find and integrate as quick as possible..

6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Central defenders should not be playing the role of central midfielders. Loew's tactics meant Boateng was doing the job of the other midfielders, because the only central midfielder on the pitch was Kroos.

He wasn't at his best on the ball, but he was more than good enough for a central defender. The question should be why was Khedira (the central midfielder so bad). Why did the Germany completely ignore the left hand side.

Hummels is right. The friendly excuse cannot be used. Saudi Arabia exposed just how suicidal the tactics were. Saudi Arabia did this.

The set up for team was just amateurish.

Kakeru repped this.
  7. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Boateng was one of our better players today with some crucial blocks. He even looked better than Hummels who was very bad all through

8. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #308 Kakeru, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Against a team like Mexico, there was no justification for setting up a team that doesn't come out with the required hunger and passion out there. Löw stuck with too many of his 2014 boys instead of playing with other players who can show more energy out there.

In terms of particular criticisms, here are my takes.

Khedira... It's safe to say that he does not deserve a starting spot any longer. He's supposed to protect the defenders and fall back quickly; he failed to do that.

Özil... What I saw was the same lazy guy who was rightfully berated at Arsenal for not making an effort out there. I thought he was very slow most of the time. On the Mexican goal, he made a schoolboy error by conceding the inside to Lozano.

Plattenhardt... He was there by default with Hector's illness, but I hope this is the last time we will see him in this tournament. He let his man away too many times for anyone's good.

Hummels... Slow, lacking balance on his feet, and too often out of position. I think it's time Löw sends him on the bench for someone younger and faster like Süle.

Müller... He can be such an enigma at times. When you think that Reus, Brandt, and Draxler did visibly better than him on the wings, you have to consider perhaps benching him for the good of the team. You also have to wonder if his woes at Euro 2016 still hinder him now. I want to see him coming back in action like a wounded animal.

In conclusion, I hope and expect several changes to be made for the Sweden match. Goretzka and Gündogan should replace Özil and Khedira for starters. At the back, Hector's return can't do any harm, but Süle or anybody else must take Hummels' spot. As for Müller, I already made my point above.

Ger90 repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Plattenhardt isn't NT level player and never was, he got the job essentially by default. Halstenberg was injured for most of the season and lazy Low didn't want to go for anyone new, so he got the back up LB job.

and with Hector being dumped to 2BL next season and there is no guarantee that Koln will get promoted again. Seems like we have an LB issue on our hands. Even Hector like Boa and Neuer missed a ton of the season because of injuries.

would also be nice if we could get another RB that could push Kimmich even more as of now Kimmich is the RB by default too. Although his issues is that he advances way way too much, which seems based on Low's tactics of having as many players as possible attacking.

You get a lot of Kimmich is Lahm 2.0 discussions but although Lahm wasn't that great attacking wise compared to Kimmich at least he was great defensively and left a ton less space.

Kakeru repped this.
  10. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Has Löw ever considered playing with 3 defenders at the back? If Kimmich moves forward a lot, it sounds to me that he could do a job as a RWB instead of being a traditional RB. As for who would play as the LWB to complete the setup, that could be tricky because of the problems mentioned above. However, I wouldn't move it past Draxler's list of tasks if it comes down to that at the moment.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I thought these comments from Mueller were very interesting. The optimist in me takes some hope that Loew wouldn’t have started the players or formation he did with better intelligence. Not saying we don’t have issues, but credit to Osorio and his staff.

, Thomas Muller admitted that Mexico had outsmarted them with a vastly changed game plan. The players had been told Osorio's men would press high and keep possession, when, in fact, they pressed only deep in their own half and immediately went vertical.

Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we mostly played the 3 CBs at the CC but reverted back to 2 CBs once the old guard came back to the equation.

seems likely that if he goes to 3 CBs, that Hector would be the LWB.

this coach doesn't get that the 4-2-3-1 these days only works well in qualifiers vs minnows not vs WC teams. We need actual midfielders in the center not playing guys like Ozil or Draxler as the 3rd midfielders if we stick with 4 at the back. Othwerwise 3 CBs might be a better fit.

Kakeru repped this.
  13. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Kroos comments explain my confusion during the match. Time and time again I was stunned to see how many players Mexico left upfield. It was like they had an extra man running onto the pitch.

14. Chavy

Chavy New Member

Manchester City
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    #314 Chavy, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    I cant recall Muller doing anything of note, not a single play, replace him with Brandt.

With the full backs, while one goes the other should stay, otherwise play with three defenders at the back.

Niether one of Kroos or Khedira was sitting both were too slow to react to the counters and were getting caught too far forward time and time again.

For Mexicos goal, the lack of cover meant Hummels had to go tight and was turned easily, and if Kroos showed the same effort as Ozil to get back the goal would have been prevented, again Ozil had to over commit as there was too much space on that side.

As a Man City fan, Gundagon is not the answer, hes slow and ponderous like Khedira even though when asked to play the Fernandino role, did well but he does not cover the ground well neither is the best tackler, as much as I hate to say it, Rudy needs to perform that role as we have no better in that position.

Referee was letting the play go, the German players did not adapt, they should have been stronger and stayed on their feet.

15. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    Neuer was solid, kimmich looked amazing going forward but leaves to much space. Hummers and boateng both look slow and clumsy. Plattenhardt was meh. Khedira cant cover Kroos and must be replaced. Kroos is great at what he does but needs someone to cover him. Muller and Draxler were invisible and Reus should start. Ozil is soft. Werner had a few opportunities but his touch and football iq is lacking.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So Kroos, Boateng, Hummels all said the same thing - per Honigstein.

But who was to blame? Kroos seemed to blame the cheap giveaways ahead of him, whereas the CBs seem to be blaming Kroos

"We were, of course, completely alone at the back," lamented centre-back Jerome Boateng. "We left so many spaces for counterattacks. They came at us four or five times. People were just running through and nobody said anything."

Mats Hummels, Boateng's unwitting co-star in this 2018 version of "Home Alone," made the same points but with added spice, claiming that the lessons of the poor 2-1 friendly versus Saudi Arabia, when Germany's game had suffered similar defects, had not been heeded.

"We spoke about not giving away possession cheaply and about the provision of cover but unfortunately didn't get it right yet again." Seven or eight attacking players, Hummels added, had brought about an imbalance that "made it easy for Mexico."

Hummels was careful not to discuss too many specifics in his assessment. The inference of what he said, however, was explosive in a number of ways. Either Sami Khedira and Toni Kroos, who were both nominally central midfielders but provided almost no protection for the defence, were simply not up the task or not committed enough to helping out, something the Bayern defender seemed to imply.

An overt criticism of Low could be read between the lines too. After all, the 57-year-old had done nothing to change his malfunctioning setup after the problems first surfaced a couple of weeks before the World Cup. Furthermore, it had taken him until the 60th minute to replace the huffing and puffing Khedira for Marco Reus and move Mesut Ozil into a deeper role, which finally brought a bit more composure and structure.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/ger...art-by-smarter-quicker-more-aggressive-mexico

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - its a sign of good drilling and is often tough to pull off at country level where the team does not play together so often.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why I am an advocate of 3CMs with Gundawg in the 3 now Sami K is clearly done.

Gundawg is elite in terms of offensive carries, which is key to final 3rd entries

He can bring structure to the top of midfield which means Kroos can stay further back.

A noticeable problem yesterday is germany have no goal threat from central midfield outside of Kroos long range efforts - and no one with a short game to play thru that space.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - looks bad

for all the talk about team unity - this tends to indicate a split between the bayern boys and Kroos.

Kroos is the fulcrum of the side now, and to be fair to him, he did get much more of a grip on the game once Ozil was sacrificed into a deeper midfield role. And the wide midfielders need to help their CMs more.

But what the hell was he actually doing in the first half?

Did he and Khedira never talk for 30s to adjust their plan to what the opposition were doing?

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Algeria did this to Germany in 2014 when Loew again had the fullbacks way too high

They simply left 2 players highish and on the transition those players sprint up and wide for the diagonal ball.

it took Loew some time to realise to leave 3 defenders at home

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe it's the ghosts of 2016?

In 2016 Loew sought to dominate midfield via the control of Kroos and Ozil.

But he certainly realised that Kroos and Old Scwheini couldn't hold the midfield together so had Can in there - but that failed.

Obviously this all makes no sense and if Sami K is just going to sit - you might as well have Rudy in there

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If Loew doesn't trust Rudy in the 6 role I think Sule has to come into the team so that Kimmich and Hector can help out in midfield

24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So if Germany what could happen now would finish second in their group could have to play Brasil in the 2nd Round....

25. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Could be, but Brazil looked far from convincing, it took a absolute screamer from coutinio to score, Germany surely will improve from the lacklustre showing yesterday