Germany to Host the UEFA Euro 2024

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dips82 repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's crazy to think that this tournament is the 1st 100% next gen one.
    Neuer, Hummels, Boa, Hector, Muller, Kroos, Reus should all be done by the 2022 WC at the max as some could be done by EC2020.

this is one instance where UEFA Nations League is a good thing because outside of the NL, Germany will play nothing but friendlies in that 2 year period between 2022 WC and 2024 EC. At least give the players some competitive games.

also puts tons of pressure to win the whole thing.

3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    also remembered that Low is contracted until 2022 WC. This could potentially be the 1st tournament without the old guard and him. Even more reason why 2022 WC should focus more on the next gen.

some reactions, interesting the constant bringing up of younger people.
    Reinhard Grindel (DFB President): I thank my colleagues and friends from the UEFA Exko for their incredible confidence. I feel responsibility. I know what this EURO 2024 tournament means to UEFA, and we will do everything we can to meet expectations tomorrow. I am pleased that we have shown with our arguments, with our concept, that you can make such an application successful. It shows that transparency, openness, compliance and the support of non-governmental organizations, but of course also from the Bundesliga, can contribute to such a great success. That fills me with pride and great joy. It's great that we have a good day for professionals and amateurs in Germany. We know that such a great tournament can inspire children and adolescents. Our clubs can look forward to that.

Philipp Lahm (EM Ambassador): I feel a great relief and anticipation, the tension was huge. That was also a new feeling for me. We can celebrate a big party together in Europe - and also at our home. We have great stadiums. We have viewers who love football. We are hospitable and open and we want to show that. We have a lot of plans, we want to share that and take everyone with us.

Joachim Löw (national coach): Such a tournament is something out of the ordinary for a country. It's a good move for the next few years. Everyone in the association can now plan ahead. Such a tournament can be very motivating for young players.

Dr. Friedrich Curtius (DFB General Secretary): It has been a very good teamwork over the past two years. We are in the heart of Europe, everyone can come to Germany well. We want to invite the world. We have submitted a very good application.

Dr. Rainer Koch (1st DFB Vice-President): That is an important result for all football in Germany. It was also a very good application from Turkey. It is no longer a matter of course that children and young people flock to the clubs. I hope that we will see a boost again as in 2006.

Reinhard Rauball (DFL President and 1st DFB Vice President): Today is a good day for German football. We all still vividly remember the images and emotions of 2006 and look forward to another major international football event in their own country. The European Championship 2024 will inspire many people for our sport - in Germany and far beyond.

5. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It was very kind to go with so many stadiums close to the Benelux border. Doesn't take much time to get to Stuttgart and Frankfurt either.

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol

translation.
    Turkey's best response is to qualify for 2024, win it in Germany and bring back the trophy to Turkey.

and how many German-Turks will they use to do that?:p

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    If Tah fades I think Torunarigha has a chance to eclipse him in the future. Klostermann could be an option too for the fullbacks.

Likewise Neuhaus should compete as well for a midfield spot

Ger90 repped this.
  9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neuhaus really has a breakthrough season before him.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    another one.
    [​IMG]

I think the problem with squads/XI is that they are all made with current pros in mind.. 2024 is 6 years away, that's a very long time. Someone currently 19 will be 25. Someone currently 17 will be 23 etc. Also current players are not guaranteed to be at a good level 6 years from now.

11. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Florian Muller n Kai Havertz will have good chance making it. And I am very certain that both will have very bright future ahead

Others? Nothing is guaranteed

I hope players who can make it includes:

GK) Ter Stegen, Fruchtl, Florian Muller

RB) Klostermann, Kimmich
    CB) Sule, Tah, Torunarigha, Mai
    LB) Gian-Luca Itter, Katterbach/Luca Netz

CM) Mbom, Goretzka, Arne Maier, Malik Tillman, Torben Rhein, Maxi Eggestein

RW) Ole Pohlmann, Brandt, Gnabry/Evina
    LW) Oliver Batista-Meier, Sane, Werner, Jastrzembski

AM) Havertz (Predicted the number 10 role will not exist anymore)

CF) Arp, David Otto, Gedikli, Selke, Jesaja Herrmann, Serra, Jojo Eggestein

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And every time Germany was in the WC they finished in the final 8 ...until the last one. Another meaningless statistic, hopefully they can put together a decent team by 2024.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany always in 8 isn't accurate (check 1938 and 1978 WCs) and it's not meaningless, the clown Low was why Germany were eliminated early.

besides Low won't be there in 2024 and there is always more pressure when you host.

15. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In 1978 they made the final 8 (which were organized into 2 groups of 4 and they placed 3rd in their group and were eliminated.)
    You are correct about 1938.

I meant it's meaningless as past behaviour is no predictor of future behaviour. Germany should always be able to bring in a strong enough team to qualify, but whether they actually do anything, and Germany does not have the same record in EC as they did in WC, is another question.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1978 is still 2nd round exit which means early exit.

me posting that has nothing do to with what will happen. There is nothing wrong with posting about our past history as host nation when talking about future tournament. I never even commented on it to begin with.

in the CC thread, I posted about our CC history, no different here.

but hosting this thing will for sure put pressure to not embarrass ourselves and to win the whole thing.

17. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didn't mention early exit, I stated final 8, which they did in 1978.

It wasn't posing past history that I have an issue with, the Opta Franz tweet (?) states "every time Germany hosted a major tournament they reached at least the semi-final.". Hoping that we will reach the semi-final just because we are hosting a major tournament is a road to getting embarrassed again. I don't think it will happen because I expect there will be a lot less hubris in the players and the coaching staff for this tournament.

18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  19. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He should do a proper exam before taking such a job. Being a former top level football player qualifies one for nothing.

20. SoccerJunkie84

SoccerJunkie84 New Member

Bayern München
    Croatia
    May 7, 2017
  21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Bremen probably would have been a nicer city to host the final.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    would be curious to see what the 2024 Squad would look like and by then some of the older lot will be retired too.

this is likely a tourney where good portion of the squad will be next gen players. In time for 2026 Expanded WC.

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    EURO 2024: DFB REPORTS IN THE SPORTS COMMITTEE ON THE STATE OF PLANNING

Philipp Lahm, Celia Šašić, Fritz Keller and Markus Stenger reported to the Sports Committee of the German Bundestag last Wednesday on the planning status of UEFA EURO 2024 in Germany. Dagmar Freitag, the chairman of the sports committee, had issued the invitation as part of the Host City Tour in September, which the delegation gladly accepted for the agenda item "Planning status and development of preparations for hosting the UEFA European Football Championship 2024". DFB EURO GmbH managing director Philipp Lahm was on site in Berlin. Due to the Corona situation, DFB EURO GmbH Special Advisor Celia Šašić, DFB President Fritz Keller and Lahm's colleague Markus Stenger were all connected.

Philipp Lahm said before the meeting: "The Sports Committee wants to promote popular and top-class sport in the long term and use the unifying force in sport to bring people together. Today we want to discuss the relevance of football and our ideas for EURO 2024. For this we need the exchange and expertise of politics. " That was the spirit in which the meeting proceeded. It became clear that UEFA EURO 2024 can be used to promote voluntary work and increase social responsibility.

DFB honorary captain Philipp Lahm outlined that since the summer fairy tale of 2006 a lot of time has passed and a lot has changed. From his point of view, professional sport has moved further and further away from amateur sport. In addition, the different milieus in society drifted further and further apart. New technologies "that should actually lead us to connect" have evidently produced positive and negative effects. Confidence in organized sport, in politics and the media has reached new lows. "In the face of these challenges, football must not remain neutral and uninvolved, because it can play an important role here," said Lahm. Football can build bridges and enable integration.

Keller: Addressing problems with good governance DFB President Fritz Keller has been documenting the path since he took office a year ago. He took up his office to create clarity and ensure transparency. With good governance one is on the way to addressing the problems as quickly as possible. He will also insist on an explanation of the "summer fairy tale". With a view to UEFA EURO 2024, the DFB President highlighted the benefits of such a tournament for amateur clubs. After the 2006 World Cup, the number of girls and boys in the clubs skyrocketed. In addition, football could benefit from an improved infrastructure. Keller stated that the leisure time behavior of children and adolescents is different today "than years ago". Accordingly, it must be considered how the playing areas in the amateur clubs "might be used for a flash mob tournament".

When asked about the societal benefits of UEFA EURO 2024, Celia Šašić said that the tournament should not only be aimed at a few target groups such as men or just footballers. Neither gender nor origin play a role in her work at DFB EURO GmbH. This must also be made visible to the outside world. A number of projects for this have been launched. "But we're not there yet," said Sasic. Philipp Lahm added that it was important to live this anti-discrimination. It is not for nothing that Celia Šašić is a woman who is the face of UEFA EURO 2024.

In June 2018, the sports committee was informed of the application for UEFA EURO 2024 before the bid was accepted. Now the next date follows, which deals with the major football event in four years.
    https://www.dfb.de/news/detail/dfb-...uss-ueber-planungsstand-der-euro-2024-222177/

24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    where are Mustafi and Draxler ????????????????

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's interesting looking at predicted squads from 2 years ago, none mention Wirtz or Moukoko who at this point appear to be very likely headed for NT selection by then, and all list Kimmich at RB.

Shows how things can change in 2 years, a lot of other things will change over the next 4 years I think, some players will emerge, some will decline and some might change positions so predicting a squad is impossible.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.