Germany - South Korea I-- 27 June --I 3rd Group Game

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by White/Blue_since1860, Jun 24, 2018.

1. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If that is true that Sule and hummels at the back with a 4-2-3-1 formation and a high line then lol, this is recipe for desaster korea have pace unlike Sweden

2. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sule isn’t quick ?? What??

People should watch more games... yes he looks big n clumsy but he is very fast

Fussballer and dips82 repped this.
  3. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think there actually was a culture fit problem with Sane and just think that was one of the excuses used because Jogi refused to leave behind his beloved Draxler. I think that's why they suddenly started playing up what a "good soldier" Brandt was last summer.

I'm also skeptical about whether the players actually feel divided from Ilkay & Mesut, as that seems more like a media-driven narrative...as that seems to be annoying everyone in the team; which, if anything, is more likely to bring them together to shut those outsiders up *shrug*

And the Boateng stuff is silly to me & sounds like your typical "old white man shouts at cloud" stories for the folks who remember when footballers didn't have tattoos, colored cleats, personal interests, or disposable income for anything other than booze & women.

But time will tell, we're all just speculating as most real stories that expose the inner-workings of a NT don't get fully sussed out until long after a particular tourney has ended...even in our modern 24-hour news age.

4. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol, his initial burst isn't quick at all, that's the telling factor, he may be able to recover ground over a distance but that initial burst against a quick player hes no chance

Lewisfromuk, Rosebud and MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Highline, 4-2-3-1

When will he learn?

This game we can play 343 with more counter attacks. Because Korea need 3 points n might go aggressive

6. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Recorded as the 2nd fastest sprinter in Bayern Munich

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Haven't read that yet, but it makes sense. It's a similar idea as to why I'm so insistent in replacing one of our 50 AM/W/SSs with a 3rd CB or 8. Having one less body to crowd things on the edge of the box and another body starting from much deeper should have similar effects.

8. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is this definitely true?, I'm really surprised about that

Rosebud repped this.
  9. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like Rudiger is a left footed CB like Hummels and Sule is right footed like Boateng

10. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2014 - Erik Durm, you can check it through Wikipedia.

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #111 Rosebud, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Good thing we brought Draxler, Plattenhart, Khedira, Rüdiger & Ginter along instead of Sane, Gotze/Dahoud, Weigl/Meyer, Kramer & Vogt...

All of the above & also in a 4. Tedesco used a lot of 3-1-4-2 / 3-4-2-1 / 3-4-1-2 shapes and Leon played all over. He played as part of the deeper duo...especially after Meyer was banished for refusing an extension a well...and part of the more advance duo. He played as an 8/10 this year and should be able to take turns going forward with Ilkay if we played the two of them in front of Toni.

NO! I'll defend Ginter's play at CB this season, at least in relation to Rüdiger's, but he was brutal anywhere but CB for BMG...despite the goal he scored that kirsten keeps bringing up.

We should just play a back three if Jogi doesn't trust a Kroos / Gundogan / Goretzka midfield trio.

Khedira needs to join Draxler in sharing the Poldi role from the last world cup of human victory cigar.

Nonsense, if Jogi did that, then we might actually start scoring like we should be!

I still attribute the failure of 2016 more to france being able to isolate Can in possession and force him into cheap turnovers that launched deadly counters for them.

Our wastefulness didn't help, but if we didn't have those cheap give aways we could've at least taken it to ET or pens if we continued to waste chance after chance.

12. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm of the opinion to bench Mueller and put on Goretzka. And people before the World Cup started thought Mueller had a shot to beat Klose goal scoring record.:eek:

13. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ginter was brought for FB cover and nothing else.

14. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    6332E2AF-9D5C-44FB-9AF3-1262767CA88F.jpeg ABC6CB2B-6878-4FC8-AA75-8A2C59650825.jpeg

nekkibasara repped this.
  15. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #115 Rosebud, Jun 26, 2018
    I dunno about that, many of us suspect that Jogi has been thinking about using a back 3 like he has in qualifying. And if Jogi did that we'd only have 1 backup CB unless Ginter is considered an option there as well...even if he is 5th choice in a back 4.

Plus why wouldn't Rudy have been planned as the backup RB? At least before our midfield showed that it needed him if Jogi continues to refuse to play toni, ilkay & leon in a trio.

Do you know what distances those were over? I can believe that he has a high top speed, but his first 5-10 yards often appear quite labored.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  16. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to Bild Reporters

Ginter actually showed a lot of promises at RB during training. Brings more balance and helped the team in both ways (defence and offence)

17. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, Jogi really does love the CB at FB. At least this could let Kimmich play his natural 6 position if Jogi really was dumb enough to start Ginter in his stead at RB.

18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think Germany win that game if Schweini doesn't screw up

Kroos and Ozil turned in amazing performances in midfield but going a goal down led to the same old problems that we've seen since 2010 with this group

They struggle to score vs the bunkered defence

Minttunator and Rosebud repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    where's Mustafi and Howedes when you need them?:p

had Brandt scored those 2 shots that hit the post he would be our top scorer. Lol at how months ago so many here hated his guts. Now he's injecting tons of energy to our side in the 2nd half and is doing well.

Lewisfromuk and Rosebud repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's clear Germany's defensive problems largely arise from 6 odd players cramming forward in a line too early in the attacking phase

This leaves no one correctly positioned to counter press, but at the same time, the centre backs are too far from the attackers to intervene

It's hard to understand why this is happening all of a sudden.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It is indeed hard to know - but it must remain a blot on Low's record that he can't manage to integrate Germany's most exciting wide forward since Mueller's performance in at 2010. It's not like this guy is just a talent. He produced big time for one of the best sides in Europe. Yet not good enough for a Germany that can't score.

It is also rumoured that the young guys like LG wonder when they ever get their chance.

MatthausSammer and Rosebud repped this.
  22. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #122 Rosebud, Jun 26, 2018
    lol I totally forgot that Schweini's corpse was on the pitch for that as well...god damn was that a hideous midfield. With the issues we had at CB as well, our possession game was just so damn vulnerable.

That tourney is why I gripe so much about who Jogi picks for those final roster spots. Yes it was nice being able to take Poldi along to make jokes in practice in 2014; but quite often you find that you need those guys to also be able to play without slowing down our game & exacerbating our weaknesses with cheap turnovers.

That's why I'm still annoyed that Jogi brought Draxler, Khedira, Plattenhart, Rüdiger & Ginter when we could have Sane, Weigl/Meyer, Gotze/Dahoud, Kramer, & Vogt to call upon instead.

That was always so weird to me. Draxler is the waste of space winger on this team, not Brandt. I want Brandt & Sane to be starting for us at the euros.

I wish Jupp wanted to manage the NT since the workload is so much easier than a club trainer faces. Him or Ragnick might be my favorites to replace Jogi if we look at the guys who have the reputation for the association to approach now that we're back at the top, but who are old enough that they might be willing to try their hand at the international game. Unlike younger coaches who are just too good to leave club football any time soon...i.e. Nagelsmann, Tuchel, and (to a lesser extent) Kloppo.

Granted I do think Klopp will want to manage the NT whenever his time with Liverpool comes to a close, but I don't think that will be for a few more cycles yet.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep. He was prepared to be pretty pragmatic in that game!

I think your post illustrates how Low has failed to freshen up the team for a new cycle since 2016.

His key bets on the younger generation e.g. Can, Draxler and Sane failed for various reasons, while meanwhile Goretzka isn't trusted. These should be the young guys with pace and legs to fresh up along with the experienced stars.

IMO the back 5 is the one area that looks good where Germany have 4 good CBs, 2 top GKs and Kimmich & Hector fixed two problem positions.

Rosebud repped this.
  24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I’m sorry but I believe Hector will become a non factor for the NT considering his choice to stay at Köln
    it’s time for Max now

25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Max isn't a NT caliber player or prospect. I know I know, stats, but he has zero experience defending up the pitch or maintaining/cycling possession. And we would need to start both Gomez & Wagner up front while Max took all of the corners & set pieces for him to be of any use to the NT.

Gian Luca Itter will take over at LB soon enough, and until then Klostermann & Henrichs can push Hector for the job...maybe Mittelstadt, or even Kimmich with Weiser coming in on the right.