Germany or DPR Korea?

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jd6885, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would you favor for this likely quarterfinal matchup? What team attributes would be favorable for each team? What team attributes would be unfavorable?

Germans
    Favorable: tactically sound, large physical presence, a killer countering game, deadly on set pieces.
    Unfavorable: at times, they show no urgency on the attack, inconsistent

North Koreans
    Favorable: pro-Korean crowd, build-up of confidence from emerging from the group of death, strong team mentality, accurate and fast long range shots, quick passing to switch the point of attack
    Unfavorable: relatively inexperienced at this critical part of the tournament, players can play desperately at times with too much emotion, could be exhausted coming out of group play, lost their playmaker against the US, give too many dangerous set pieces.

In the end, I would have to give the edge to Germany mainly because of their experience under a high-pressure atmosphere, their efficiency on set pieces, and their countering game should match up well against the Koreans' attack with numbers.

2. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I think it could go either way. At this point, I'd be favoring North Korea. I'll have to see how Germany performs tomorrow. Maybe they won't even play in the QF.

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt that Germany won't come out in 1st place, let alone not qualify for the quarters.

4. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I was positive Germany would beat England, so at this point nothing would surprise me. England really isn't that good of a team.

5. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    i prefer germany because its my favorite team ...
    and i think they are better as northkorea ...
    means: if they would play 10 games, most games would be won by germany ...

but without this aspects i like the northkorean team and i wish them good luck ...

ps: and i hope we will see in the near future also fans from northkorea in forums like this ...

6. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    Im going with Germany. They are tried and true with a cup on the shelf. NK had 1 good game vs the US and a game where they didnt exactly slaughter Nigeria to compare to.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    why is the match-up LIKELY when it's a 50-50 split it could be usa or north korea...

north korea will beat germany if they match up...way too technical for germany, and their pressing defense will shit down germany...

the germany group has been the easiest, the germans haven't had a hard match yet....

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go more like 60/40. I think odds are that the US can outscore Nigeria by more than PRK can outscore Sweden.

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought it was understood, but I guess some people don't believe Sweden can come back and fight hard. Someone said Sweden won't lay down because they are a proud footballing nation. I agree. After they saw the North Koreans beat the Nigerians unimpressively, I think they are cautiously optimistic that they can get a result against North Korea. USA will look to finally shine. They may likely be looking for a golazo performance against Nigeria.

10. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    After seen the Ger:Jap watch, I'd see I'd favor Germany to win. Won't be easy but I think they'll take it.

11. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    i agree; i think north korea is capable of beating germany and wouldnt been to surprised if they did, but i still anticipate deutschland emerging victorious.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    germany.

but it won't be at all surprising if nk won.

13. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Group of Death might have taken a lot out of North Korea's players. North Korea won't have the legs to play a world-class opponent like Germany. I can see Germany trouncing them 3-0.

14. Mexicana

Mexicana New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Mexico City
    I can't hide my preferences for Germany, honestly, it has to do with a political point of view, but if I have to limit my preferences on the football pitch, I see North Korea as the must likely winner.

I don't have a list of the most recent games of this two teams but I do remember last year in the U-20 World Cup, when North Korea beat Germany 2-0 in the preliminary stage. Germany was then, the World Cup holder.

I do agree on hopes to read North Korean threads one of this days when access to the internet in that country be open to everybody.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Though this German team to isnt as strong as the '03 team I dont see NK giving them much trouble Saturday!!

The Teutonic titanesses should win 2-0 and I dont see them giving up a goal until they meet the US in the Final!!

16. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    OMG he likes Hitler!!

17. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Uh ... "he" probably meant communism as opposed to a democratic society ...

The user name "Mexicana" would also indicate that the "he" is a she, "Mexicano" being the masculine form of mexicana.

Que viva Mexico y que gane Alemania!

18. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
  19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If NK has the legs, and there was some talk that they looked really tired vs Sweden, the game will be very good. Or one of those ugly heavy weight fights where each team has a counter for the other team's move so no one appears to do much. Which can still be appreciated and a different sort of good. Germany has had more rest. Look for long range shots from NK. We'll get to see how the German keeper (whose name isn't Silke but I've forgotten what it is) deals with those.

I didn't see the Germany-Japan game so I don't know if the Germans turned up the intensity meter a bit or not. Anyone who saw a clip (or the game) of the Asian championship game (where NK lost their collective minds over contentious officiating) can see they care -- a lot, maybe too much. Kinda makes you wonder what the gov't promised them if they won. There was a degree of anguish there that kinda made me feel sorry for them. I still prefer Germany but this could go either way.